Prologue, The Wheelchair
* Jean has spent the last 6 months in a hospital bed. He had a stroke on December 6th, and was in a coma for 20 days.
* Jean can only move his left eyelid, and dictated this book one letter at a time. He feels trapped in a diving bell, and sees his mind like a butterfly, able to escape.
* Jean wakes up and sees a horde of doctors. He is dressed by two orderlies and put in a wheelchair. He sees this wheelchair as a death sentence.
Prayer, Bathtime, The Alphabet
* Jean is able to swivel his head so there is hope that he may be able to talk and breathe on his own at some point.
* Jean has lost 66 pounds since his stroke. Brigitte, his physical therapist, gives him a facial massage after every session.
* Jean can slightly smile and frown, and this is how he...
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)