|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anna and Genevieve soon learn about the condition of Genevieve?
2. What kind of watch does Anna's Gran give to her when she graduates?
3. What does Anna receive from Joseph in the months after her mother's death?
4. Joseph is nervous about ________ since his United States assets have been frozen.
5. At what time does Anna's father show up at her door on her birthday, bringing roses and perfume?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
2. What happens when Joseph writes frequently and sends gifts at Christmas to Anna?
3. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
4. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
5. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
6. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
7. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
8. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
9. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
10. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
Essay Topic 2
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 3
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)