|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna later realizes just how much of her personality she has received from ___________.
2. __________ liberation army and the Chinese Nationalist troops are the two factions at war.
3. Who thinks that Joseph isn't coming to meet them in Los Angeles because of something that she did?
4. Joseph begins to spend a lot of time at the ________ learning about the news and what has been happening in the world.
5. Where does Joseph often sleep, according to the description of his time in April, 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
2. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
3. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
4. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
5. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
6. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
7. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
8. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
9. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
10. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)