|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
2. Who becomes more talkative and more open as time goes on?
3. _________ says that Joseph is a person who only thinks of himself and does not concern himself with others.
4. What language does Joseph speak to the staff when they go to a local Chinese restaurant?
5. What does Anna learn about Joseph's work when he is not with the family?
Essay Topic 1
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
Essay Topic 2
Anna is curious about her background and she wants to learn as much as she can, mostly to please her father.
Part 1: Why is it important to Anna that she please her father?
Part 2: How does a person begin to please their parents?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna feels that she needs to please her father?
Essay Topic 3
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)