|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
2. Anna begins to work at the ________ library after she graduates from college and is married.
3. When the war ends, the city of Shanghai is controlled by the ____________ government.
4. What does Joseph invite Anna and the baby to, which she accepts?
5. What does Joseph decide to buy in response to the guerrilla activity going on in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
2. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
3. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
4. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
5. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
6. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
7. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
8. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
9. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
10. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)