|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word that Anna looks up in the dictionary after hearing her mother and Gran begin to use it?
2. Who thinks and worries about Joseph constantly, which is not something she had anticipated?
3. Who does Anna end up marrying in 1953 after she graduates college?
4. Joseph begins to spend a lot of time at the ________ learning about the news and what has been happening in the world.
5. What does Anna write in response to Joseph, according to this section of the book?
Essay Topic 1
Joseph doesn't get a job as Genevieve suggests, which upsets her as they begin their new life in California.
Part 1: Why doesn't Joseph get a job as he is asked to do by his wife?
Part 2: How might you have responded if your spouse didn't get a job as you expected them to?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph should have gotten a job?
Essay Topic 2
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
Essay Topic 3
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)