|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of Joseph's money has been unfrozen as of New Year's Eve, helping him to take care of his family?
2. The government suddenly eliminates the _________ business, which is something Joseph did not expect.
3. The Communists view Joseph's business as a form of ___________, so he is under investigation.
4. Who thinks and worries about Joseph constantly, which is not something she had anticipated?
5. What does Anna do with the money that she receives from selling the gift Joseph gets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
2. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
3. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
4. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
5. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
6. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
7. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
8. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
9. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
10. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anna is curious about her background and she wants to learn as much as she can, mostly to please her father.
Part 1: Why is it important to Anna that she please her father?
Part 2: How does a person begin to please their parents?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna feels that she needs to please her father?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)