|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shanghai has always felt like ________ to Joseph, even if his wife and daughter are not around.
2. According to this section of the book, __________ is more dangerous now than it was when it was under the Japanese rule.
3. The Communists view Joseph's business as a form of ___________, so he is under investigation.
4. In what city do Anna and her husband live, close to her family?
5. What language does Joseph speak to the staff when they go to a local Chinese restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is not in the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in May of 1942?
2. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
3. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
4. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
5. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
6. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
7. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
8. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
9. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
10. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 2
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)