|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city do Anna and her husband live, close to her family?
2. What does Joseph decide to buy in response to the guerrilla activity going on in the city?
3. Joseph is accused of being a _________ and is held in a cell for three weeks without any questioning or charges.
4. Who hosts a party to celebrate Anna and her husband's first wedding anniversary?
5. Joseph is nervous about ________ since his United States assets have been frozen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 3
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)