|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
2. What is the name of Anna's new baby, who will also be known as Eve?
3. What language does Joseph speak to the staff when they go to a local Chinese restaurant?
4. Who posted the letter for Joseph, which is why it had been re-routed?
5. Anna and her husband move into the house on ________ after her mother's death.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
2. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
3. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
4. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
5. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
6. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
7. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
8. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
9. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
10. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
Essay Topic 3
Anna begins to notice that her mother looks different than she did in Shanghai, and that she is changing to adapt to the LA culture.
Part 1: Why do you think Genevieve changes the way she dresses?
Part 2: Do you think you would change the way you dress if you were in a new city?
Part 3: How do you think the changes to Genevieve's appearance impact Anna?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)