|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anna and Genevieve soon learn about the condition of Genevieve?
2. Joseph is nervous about ________ since his United States assets have been frozen.
3. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
4. Who walks away from the conversation between Anna and Joseph at the funeral?
5. What kind of soldiers prevent Joseph from entering a particular area when walking on the Bund at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
2. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
3. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
4. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
5. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
6. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
7. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
8. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
9. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
10. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna is curious about her background and she wants to learn as much as she can, mostly to please her father.
Part 1: Why is it important to Anna that she please her father?
Part 2: How does a person begin to please their parents?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna feels that she needs to please her father?
Essay Topic 2
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph doesn't get a job as Genevieve suggests, which upsets her as they begin their new life in California.
Part 1: Why doesn't Joseph get a job as he is asked to do by his wife?
Part 2: How might you have responded if your spouse didn't get a job as you expected them to?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph should have gotten a job?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)