|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long is Joseph in Chungking, according to this section of the story?
2. Genevieve learns that Joseph will arrive in _________ in mid-December after the conflict is over.
3. ___________ has begun to take place in China, causing more conflict in the area and more troubles for those living there.
4. Anna begins to work at the ________ library after she graduates from college and is married.
5. Genevieve and Anna leave Shanghai on October ____, 1946, never to return, they believe.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
2. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
3. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
4. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
5. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
6. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
7. Why does Joseph decide to buy several guns when he is living in China?
8. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
9. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
10. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna thinks that Joseph hasn't come home because of something that she did, and she tells her mother this is the way she feels.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna believes she did something wrong?
Part 2: How can a child begin to understand the complexities of war?
Part 3: What might you have said to Anna to help her better understand the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
Essay Topic 3
Anna begins to notice that her mother looks different than she did in Shanghai, and that she is changing to adapt to the LA culture.
Part 1: Why do you think Genevieve changes the way she dresses?
Part 2: Do you think you would change the way you dress if you were in a new city?
Part 3: How do you think the changes to Genevieve's appearance impact Anna?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)