|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Genevieve and Anna live for a month before Anna learns they are moving to Hungjoa?
2. When is Anna's baby due, which is when Genevieve hopes to live until?
3. Anna begins to work at the ________ library after she graduates from college and is married.
4. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
5. Genevieve tells Anna that according to newspaper articles, Joseph was released from prison and is now in __________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)