|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Genevieve learns from the ____________ that Joseph has been taken a prisoner in March, 1943.
2. What does Joseph invite Anna and the baby to, which she accepts?
3. The government suddenly eliminates the _________ business, which is something Joseph did not expect.
4. Anna later realizes just how much of her personality she has received from ___________.
5. Anna and Genevieve will be going to _________ in a month, even though Anna is not comfortable with this idea.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
2. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
3. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
4. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
5. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
6. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
7. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
8. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
9. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
10. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to notice that her mother looks different than she did in Shanghai, and that she is changing to adapt to the LA culture.
Part 1: Why do you think Genevieve changes the way she dresses?
Part 2: Do you think you would change the way you dress if you were in a new city?
Part 3: How do you think the changes to Genevieve's appearance impact Anna?
Essay Topic 2
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph doesn't get a job as Genevieve suggests, which upsets her as they begin their new life in California.
Part 1: Why doesn't Joseph get a job as he is asked to do by his wife?
Part 2: How might you have responded if your spouse didn't get a job as you expected them to?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph should have gotten a job?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)