|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna and Genevieve will be going to _________ in a month, even though Anna is not comfortable with this idea.
2. Who does Anna end up marrying in 1953 after she graduates college?
3. Joseph decides that the ________ will not be able to control China, so he says where he is to make more money.
4. How much of Joseph's money has been unfrozen as of New Year's Eve, helping him to take care of his family?
5. Joseph is accused of being a _________ and is held in a cell for three weeks without any questioning or charges.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
2. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
3. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
4. What is not in the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in May of 1942?
5. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
6. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
7. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
8. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
9. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
10. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 2
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 3
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)