|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna and Genevieve will be going to _________ in a month, even though Anna is not comfortable with this idea.
2. Who thinks that Joseph isn't coming to meet them in Los Angeles because of something that she did?
3. In what city do Anna and her husband live, close to her family?
4. What do Anna and Genevieve soon learn about the condition of Genevieve?
5. Joseph is accused of being a _________ and is held in a cell for three weeks without any questioning or charges.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
2. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
3. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
4. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
5. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
6. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
7. What happens when Joseph writes frequently and sends gifts at Christmas to Anna?
8. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
9. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
10. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
Essay Topic 2
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
Essay Topic 3
Anna begins to notice that her mother looks different than she did in Shanghai, and that she is changing to adapt to the LA culture.
Part 1: Why do you think Genevieve changes the way she dresses?
Part 2: Do you think you would change the way you dress if you were in a new city?
Part 3: How do you think the changes to Genevieve's appearance impact Anna?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)