|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna later realizes just how much of her personality she has received from ___________.
2. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
3. The government suddenly eliminates the _________ business, which is something Joseph did not expect.
4. Genevieve learns that Joseph will arrive in _________ in mid-December after the conflict is over.
5. Anna begins to work at the ________ library after she graduates from college and is married.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
2. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
3. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
4. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
5. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
6. What is not in the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in May of 1942?
7. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
8. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
9. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
10. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to notice that her mother looks different than she did in Shanghai, and that she is changing to adapt to the LA culture.
Part 1: Why do you think Genevieve changes the way she dresses?
Part 2: Do you think you would change the way you dress if you were in a new city?
Part 3: How do you think the changes to Genevieve's appearance impact Anna?
Essay Topic 2
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 3
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)