|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph is nervous about ________ since his United States assets have been frozen.
2. What language does Joseph speak to the staff when they go to a local Chinese restaurant?
3. Genevieve learns that Joseph will arrive in _________ in mid-December after the conflict is over.
4. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
5. According to this section of the book, __________ is more dangerous now than it was when it was under the Japanese rule.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
2. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
3. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
4. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
5. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
6. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
7. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
8. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
9. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
10. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 3
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)