|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Anna reads about her mother's condition at the library?
2. The women see Joseph eating at the restaurant with a Chinese ____________.
3. What is the new spelling of Anna and Genevieve's last name, according to this section of the book?
4. What language does Joseph speak to the staff when they go to a local Chinese restaurant?
5. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
2. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
3. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
4. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
5. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
6. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
7. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
8. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
9. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
10. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 2
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
Essay Topic 3
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)