|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joseph find the items that he has hidden before the war?
2. What does Joseph do for the family in order to help them out with their home?
3. Where do Genevieve and Anna live for a month before Anna learns they are moving to Hungjoa?
4. Anna later realizes just how much of her personality she has received from ___________.
5. Where is the postmark from on the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
2. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
3. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
4. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
5. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
6. Why does Joseph decide to buy several guns when he is living in China?
7. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
8. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
9. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
10. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
Essay Topic 3
Anna is curious about her background and she wants to learn as much as she can, mostly to please her father.
Part 1: Why is it important to Anna that she please her father?
Part 2: How does a person begin to please their parents?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna feels that she needs to please her father?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)