|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what year of her college education does Anna learn about her father?
2. Joseph sees a group of ________ loading packages onto a freighter and wonders if this is the process of gold being moved.
3. _______ decides at this point of the book that she will never allow Joseph in her life again.
4. Who does Anna end up marrying in 1953 after she graduates college?
5. What does Joseph stage before he is shipped to Vancouver in order to get him out the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
2. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
3. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
4. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
5. What happens when Joseph writes frequently and sends gifts at Christmas to Anna?
6. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
7. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
8. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
9. Why does Joseph decide to buy several guns when he is living in China?
10. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
Essay Topic 3
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)