|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Anna's baby due, which is when Genevieve hopes to live until?
2. What magazine reveals the details of Joseph's imprisonment to Anna and Genevieve?
3. Who walks away from the conversation between Anna and Joseph at the funeral?
4. What happens when Anna reads about her mother's condition at the library?
5. What does Joseph send to Anna as a gift on her seventeenth birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
2. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
3. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
4. What is not in the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in May of 1942?
5. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
6. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
7. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
8. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
9. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
10. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
Essay Topic 3
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)