|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anna and Genevieve soon learn about the condition of Genevieve?
2. What does Anna learn about Joseph's work when he is not with the family?
3. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
4. Joseph is accused of being a _________ and is held in a cell for three weeks without any questioning or charges.
5. According to this section of the book, __________ is more dangerous now than it was when it was under the Japanese rule.
Short Essay Questions
1. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
2. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
3. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
4. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
5. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
6. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
7. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
8. Why does Joseph decide to buy several guns when he is living in China?
9. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
10. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 3
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)