|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long is Joseph in Chungking, according to this section of the story?
2. Genevieve learns from the ____________ that Joseph has been taken a prisoner in March, 1943.
3. Who posted the letter for Joseph, which is why it had been re-routed?
4. What is the word that Anna looks up in the dictionary after hearing her mother and Gran begin to use it?
5. What do Anna and Genevieve do after mass one Sunday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
2. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
3. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
4. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
5. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
6. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
7. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
8. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
9. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
10. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)