|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ says that Joseph is a person who only thinks of himself and does not concern himself with others.
2. What is the word that Anna looks up in the dictionary after hearing her mother and Gran begin to use it?
3. Who is at Anna's side after the C-Section that delivers her daughter?
4. Who hosts a party to celebrate Anna and her husband's first wedding anniversary?
5. Genevieve tells Anna that Joseph will need time to _________ after he is back in Los Angeles with his family.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
2. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
3. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
4. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
5. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
6. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
7. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
8. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
9. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
10. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 2
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 3
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)