|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Genevieve and Anna leave Shanghai on October ____, 1946, never to return, they believe.
2. Who becomes more talkative and more open as time goes on?
3. What kind of soldiers prevent Joseph from entering a particular area when walking on the Bund at night?
4. What does Joseph obtain in order to begin to import cars and trucks into the country?
5. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
Short Essay Questions
1. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
2. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
3. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
4. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
5. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
6. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
7. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
8. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
9. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
10. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 2
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)