|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph invite Anna and the baby to, which she accepts?
2. What is the new spelling of Anna and Genevieve's last name, according to this section of the book?
3. Who thinks that Joseph isn't coming to meet them in Los Angeles because of something that she did?
4. Who refuses to leave Hong Kong, which causes him to be arrested?
5. What does Joseph send to Anna as a gift on her seventeenth birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
2. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
3. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
4. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
5. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
6. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
7. What is not in the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in May of 1942?
8. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
9. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
10. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
Essay Topic 2
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)