|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Anna graduates _________, her family takes her out to a famous Hollywood restaurant.
2. What happens when Anna reads about her mother's condition at the library?
3. How much of Joseph's money has been unfrozen as of New Year's Eve, helping him to take care of his family?
4. What does Anna write in response to Joseph, according to this section of the book?
5. Genevieve learns that Joseph will arrive in _________ in mid-December after the conflict is over.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
2. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
3. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
4. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
5. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
6. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
7. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
8. What is not in the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in May of 1942?
9. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
10. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 2
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 3
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)