|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month of her pregnancy does Anna decide to quit her job in order to help her mother and to support her pregnancy?
2. According to this section of the book, __________ is more dangerous now than it was when it was under the Japanese rule.
3. What is the new spelling of Anna and Genevieve's last name, according to this section of the book?
4. Joseph tells Genevieve that he doesn't want a _________, which Anna hears from her bedroom.
5. What does Anna write in response to Joseph, according to this section of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
2. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
3. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
4. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
5. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
6. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
7. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
8. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
9. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
10. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Essay Topic 2
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
Essay Topic 3
Anna thinks that Joseph hasn't come home because of something that she did, and she tells her mother this is the way she feels.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna believes she did something wrong?
Part 2: How can a child begin to understand the complexities of war?
Part 3: What might you have said to Anna to help her better understand the situation?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)