|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long is Joseph in Chungking, according to this section of the story?
2. Anna currently attends the University of __________ at Los Angeles at the time of the article.
3. During what year of her college education does Anna learn about her father?
4. Who is at Anna's side after the C-Section that delivers her daughter?
5. Who thinks that Joseph isn't coming to meet them in Los Angeles because of something that she did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
2. What happens when Joseph writes frequently and sends gifts at Christmas to Anna?
3. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
4. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
5. Where do Jack and Anna live once they are married after she graduates from college?
6. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
7. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
8. What does Genevieve wish for her life once she finds out she is sick?
9. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
10. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)