|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of six, Anna knows enough about kidnappings to know that they have to __________.
2. What is the date that Genevieve and Anna leave in order to make the trip to Los Angeles?
3. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
4. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
5. Who regards the house on Jungjoa as a temporary home, according to the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
2. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
3. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
4. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
5. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
6. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
7. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
8. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
9. What does Anna discover about Joseph's financial situation when she goes through his belongings?
10. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
Essay Topic 1
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
Essay Topic 3
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
This section contains 1,822 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)