Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
2. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
3. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
4. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
5. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
2. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
5. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
6. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
7. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
8. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
9. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
10. What does Anna discover about Joseph's financial situation when she goes through his belongings?
Essay Topic 1
Anna is curious about her background and she wants to learn as much as she can, mostly to please her father.
Part 1: Why is it important to Anna that she please her father?
Part 2: How does a person begin to please their parents?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna feels that she needs to please her father?
Essay Topic 2
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Anna thinks that Joseph hasn't come home because of something that she did, and she tells her mother this is the way she feels.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna believes she did something wrong?
Part 2: How can a child begin to understand the complexities of war?
Part 3: What might you have said to Anna to help her better understand the situation?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)