|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
2. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
3. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
4. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
5. What is the road on which the big shopping area is located, according to the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
2. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
3. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
4. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
5. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
6. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
7. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
8. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
9. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
10. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to notice that her mother looks different than she did in Shanghai, and that she is changing to adapt to the LA culture.
Part 1: Why do you think Genevieve changes the way she dresses?
Part 2: Do you think you would change the way you dress if you were in a new city?
Part 3: How do you think the changes to Genevieve's appearance impact Anna?
Essay Topic 2
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)