|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
2. What is the time of the new curfew, which is one of the biggest changes in the city, according to the book?
3. Questioning means _________, as Joseph learns from a young journalist who he had helped bring into the camp.
4. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
5. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
2. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
3. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
4. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
5. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
6. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
7. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
8. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
9. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
10. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
Essay Topic 2
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)