|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
2. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
3. Though the family is wealthy, they only have ________ live-in servants, according to the story's description.
4. Joseph tells Anna that no matter what happens with Japan, they will be safe in the ______________.
5. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
2. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
5. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
6. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
7. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
8. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
9. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
10. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
Essay Topic 3
Anna thinks that Joseph hasn't come home because of something that she did, and she tells her mother this is the way she feels.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna believes she did something wrong?
Part 2: How can a child begin to understand the complexities of war?
Part 3: What might you have said to Anna to help her better understand the situation?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)