|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph predicts that the fighting in the city will only last a __________, and he doesn't appear to be concerned.
2. Anna begins to learn how to do all of the things that the ________ used to do in Shanghai.
3. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
4. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
5. What is the name of the better quarters in which Joseph and the other leaders are housed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
2. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
3. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
4. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
5. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
6. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
7. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
8. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
9. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
10. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 2
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)