|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
2. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
3. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
4. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
5. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
2. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
3. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
4. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
5. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
6. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
7. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
8. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
9. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
10. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
Essay Topic 3
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)