|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
2. Prisoners can only leave the camp, for the most part, if they are near _________.
3. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
4. _________ troops are ordered to leave Shanghai in November of 1941, according to the story.
5. What do Genevieve and Anna notice when they are shopping in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
2. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
5. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
6. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
7. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
8. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
9. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
10. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
Essay Topic 3
Anna is curious about her background and she wants to learn as much as she can, mostly to please her father.
Part 1: Why is it important to Anna that she please her father?
Part 2: How does a person begin to please their parents?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna feels that she needs to please her father?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)