|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
2. Questioning means _________, as Joseph learns from a young journalist who he had helped bring into the camp.
3. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
4. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
5. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
2. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
3. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
4. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
5. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
6. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
7. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
8. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
9. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
10. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph doesn't get a job as Genevieve suggests, which upsets her as they begin their new life in California.
Part 1: Why doesn't Joseph get a job as he is asked to do by his wife?
Part 2: How might you have responded if your spouse didn't get a job as you expected them to?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph should have gotten a job?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)