|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What continues to be held in Cerecle Sportif in the city, oblivious to the events going on around it?
2. Joseph predicts that the fighting in the city will only last a __________, and he doesn't appear to be concerned.
3. At what university were both of the parents in this story students when they first met?
4. What do Genevieve and Anna notice when they are shopping in the city?
5. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
2. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
3. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
4. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
5. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
6. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
7. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
8. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
9. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
10. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 2
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
Essay Topic 3
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)