Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
2. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
3. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
4. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
5. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
2. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
5. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
6. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
7. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
8. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
9. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
10. What does Anna discover about Joseph's financial situation when she goes through his belongings?
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)