|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
2. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
3. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
4. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
5. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
2. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
3. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
4. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
5. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
6. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
7. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
8. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
9. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
10. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 2
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
Essay Topic 3
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)