|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Genevieve and Anna go to mass at the Cathedral of St. __________ in order to pray for Joseph's safety.
2. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
3. Foreigners cannot go outside the city limits after the Japanese attack on ______________.
4. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
5. Where does Joseph end up moving to after he has closed up the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
2. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
3. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
4. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
5. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
6. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
7. What does Anna discover about Joseph's financial situation when she goes through his belongings?
8. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
9. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
10. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
Essay Topic 2
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
This section contains 1,834 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)