|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Foreigners cannot go outside the city limits after the Japanese attack on ______________.
2. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
3. At what university were both of the parents in this story students when they first met?
4. Who keeps telling Anna that things will get better, even as Anna doesn't make friends?
5. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna discover about Joseph's financial situation when she goes through his belongings?
2. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
3. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
4. What happens to Joseph after Anna calls for an ambulance when he collapses at her home?
5. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
6. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
7. What does Heather do for Anna's fiftieth birthday celebration and gift?
8. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
9. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
10. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
Essay Topic 1
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,793 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)