|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
2. _______ thinks the city is different with all of the Japanese sentries in place, according to the book.
3. What is the name of the better quarters in which Joseph and the other leaders are housed?
4. _________ troops are ordered to leave Shanghai in November of 1941, according to the story.
5. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
2. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
3. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
4. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
5. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
6. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
7. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
8. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
9. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
10. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph doesn't get a job as Genevieve suggests, which upsets her as they begin their new life in California.
Part 1: Why doesn't Joseph get a job as he is asked to do by his wife?
Part 2: How might you have responded if your spouse didn't get a job as you expected them to?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph should have gotten a job?
Essay Topic 3
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)