|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who regards the house on Jungjoa as a temporary home, according to the book?
2. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
3. Foreigners cannot go outside the city limits after the Japanese attack on ______________.
4. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
5. What do Genevieve and Will Marsh do in order to speed up the release of Joseph from the kidnappers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
2. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
3. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
4. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
5. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
6. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
7. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
8. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
9. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
10. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Essay Topic 3
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)