|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of six, Anna knows enough about kidnappings to know that they have to __________.
2. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
3. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
4. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
5. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
2. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
3. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
4. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
5. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
6. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
7. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
8. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
9. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
10. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
Essay Topic 3
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)