|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
2. Prisoners can only leave the camp, for the most part, if they are near _________.
3. Foreigners cannot go outside the city limits after the Japanese attack on ______________.
4. What begins to return to normal after the Japanese take over in Shanghai?
5. What is the last name of the family that is featured in this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
2. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
3. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
4. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
5. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
6. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
7. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
8. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
9. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
10. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)