|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
2. What do Genevieve and Anna notice when they are shopping in the city?
3. What continues to be held in Cerecle Sportif in the city, oblivious to the events going on around it?
4. Where are Anna and her father supposed to meet their servant?
5. What begins to return to normal after the Japanese take over in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
2. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
3. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
4. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
5. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
6. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
7. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
8. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
9. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
10. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 3
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)