|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
2. Questioning means _________, as Joseph learns from a young journalist who he had helped bring into the camp.
3. Where does Anna decide to hide the yen note she finds on the floor?
4. Where are Anna and her father supposed to meet their servant?
5. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
2. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
3. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
4. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
5. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
6. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
7. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
8. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
9. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
10. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)