|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
2. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
3. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
4. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
5. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
2. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
3. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
4. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
5. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
6. What does Heather do for Anna's fiftieth birthday celebration and gift?
7. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
8. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
9. What happens when Joseph writes frequently and sends gifts at Christmas to Anna?
10. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
Essay Topic 2
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 3
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)