|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
2. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
3. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
4. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
5. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
2. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
5. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
6. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
7. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
8. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
9. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
10. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph continues to postpone his trip to the United States because of the business opportunities that are available to him.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is excited to stay for the business opportunities?
Part 2: Do you think that Joseph should have continued to delay his departure?
Part 3: Does Joseph appear to be a greedy man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's mother tells Anna to forgive her father, before she dies, even though Anna is not sure that she can.
Part 1: Why should Anna forgive her father?
Part 2: Why does Anna's mother care if Anna forgives her father?
Part 3: How might you respond if your mother told you to forgive someone?
Essay Topic 3
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)