|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
2. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
3. The American ___________ is the facility that helps by delivering food and supplies to the internment camp.
4. What is signaled in the town which leads Genevieve to tell Mei Wah to take them home from shopping?
5. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
2. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
3. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
4. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
5. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
6. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
7. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
8. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
9. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
10. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
Essay Topic 2
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
Essay Topic 3
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)