|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna and Joseph go to Hsin Hung Chong where he needs to take a picture for an ___________ claim.
2. Gran always buys how many books a week for Anna to read so that she can learn to read more easily?
3. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
4. Joseph tells Anna that no matter what happens with Japan, they will be safe in the ______________.
5. What is the last name of the family that is featured in this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
2. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
3. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
4. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
5. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
6. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
7. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
8. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
9. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
10. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to notice that her mother looks different than she did in Shanghai, and that she is changing to adapt to the LA culture.
Part 1: Why do you think Genevieve changes the way she dresses?
Part 2: Do you think you would change the way you dress if you were in a new city?
Part 3: How do you think the changes to Genevieve's appearance impact Anna?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)