|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
2. Prisoners can only leave the camp, for the most part, if they are near _________.
3. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
4. How many Japanese die at the Hunngjao airfield, causing Japanese warships to arrive?
5. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
2. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
5. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
6. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
7. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
8. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
9. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
10. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Anna is given a ticket to see her father again, she is not happy to leave her family and friends.
Part 1: Why doesn't Anna want to go to see her father?
Part 2: Why doesn't Anna's father come to see her after her graduation?
Part 3: What might be a better present for Anna after her graduation?
Essay Topic 2
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 3
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)