|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
2. Joseph is accused of witnessing a prisoner, _________, asking to have a letter smuggled out of the camp.
3. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
4. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
5. Who regards the house on Jungjoa as a temporary home, according to the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
2. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
3. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
4. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
5. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
6. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
7. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
8. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
9. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
10. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
Essay Topic 2
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 3
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)