|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
2. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
3. Anna is enrolled in Oneonta _______ school when she arrives in Los Angeles during this point of the story.
4. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
5. Genevieve and Anna go to mass at the Cathedral of St. __________ in order to pray for Joseph's safety.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
2. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
3. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
4. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
5. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
6. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
7. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
8. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
9. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
10. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna learns about the war and its atrocities, even though her parents try to shield her from it.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna's parents still reveal details about the war in front of their daughter?
Part 2: Should a child be exposed to the details of war and conflict?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely shield a child from the horrors in the world?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 3
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)