|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
2. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
3. What does Anna find in the closet when she goes off to explore, bored with drawing maps?
4. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
5. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
2. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
3. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
4. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
5. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
6. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
7. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
8. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
9. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
10. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 3
Genevieve tries to save her marriage, even though it makes her unhappy with her life. She tries to live in Shanghai again and tries to visit China.
Part 1: Why does Genevieve try to save her marriage?
Part 2: Do you think Genevieve should have worked so hard to save her marriage?
Part 3: How do you think Genevieve might be hurting her marriage as she tries to save it?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)