Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
2. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
3. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
4. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
5. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
2. What doesn't Anna talk about as a part of her social life in South Pasadena?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
5. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
6. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
7. What does Heather do for Anna's fiftieth birthday celebration and gift?
8. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
9. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
10. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)