|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
2. What city in China falls on July 28, 1937, according to the book's description?
3. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
4. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
5. Colonel _________ tells the people at the camp that so long as they obey the rules, they will be fine.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
2. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
3. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
4. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
5. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
6. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
7. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
8. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
9. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
10. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Essay Topic 2
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)