|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
2. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
3. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
4. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
5. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
2. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
5. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
6. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
7. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
8. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
9. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
10. What does Anna discover about Joseph's financial situation when she goes through his belongings?
Essay Topic 1
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 2
The internment camp where Joseph is held doesn't sound bad until there is mention of torture.
Part 1: What do you think of the idea of internment camps for the Chinese?
Part 2: Do you think that internment camps were necessary during war times?
Part 3: How do you think the prisoners at internment camps were treated?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
This section contains 1,804 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)