|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to pick up Anna after the kidnapping incident, according to the story?
2. Joseph predicts that the fighting in the city will only last a __________, and he doesn't appear to be concerned.
3. Foreigners cannot go outside the city limits after the Japanese attack on ______________.
4. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
5. What does Anna get to drink on the morning of her seventh birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
2. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
3. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
4. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
5. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
6. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
7. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
8. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
9. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
10. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna thinks that Joseph hasn't come home because of something that she did, and she tells her mother this is the way she feels.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna believes she did something wrong?
Part 2: How can a child begin to understand the complexities of war?
Part 3: What might you have said to Anna to help her better understand the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph is arrested and held in solitary confinement for his presumed crimes.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph is arrested?
Part 2: Why do you think Joseph isn't killed during his imprisonment?
Part 3: What might be some of the effects of the time in solitary confinement?
Essay Topic 3
Anna is curious about her background and she wants to learn as much as she can, mostly to please her father.
Part 1: Why is it important to Anna that she please her father?
Part 2: How does a person begin to please their parents?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna feels that she needs to please her father?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)