|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to pick up Anna after the kidnapping incident, according to the story?
2. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
3. How many Japanese die at the Hunngjao airfield, causing Japanese warships to arrive?
4. What is signaled in the town which leads Genevieve to tell Mei Wah to take them home from shopping?
5. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
2. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
3. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
4. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
5. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
6. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
7. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
8. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
9. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
10. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph becomes poor as a result of the war time restrictions. He needs to sell the things that he owns in order to have money to live.
Part 1: How do you think Joseph feels about becoming poor?
Part 2: Do you think the rich should be made poor during times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think the government restricts the assets of the rich during the war time?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph doesn't get a job as Genevieve suggests, which upsets her as they begin their new life in California.
Part 1: Why doesn't Joseph get a job as he is asked to do by his wife?
Part 2: How might you have responded if your spouse didn't get a job as you expected them to?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph should have gotten a job?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)