|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
2. Genevieve and Anna go to mass at the Cathedral of St. __________ in order to pray for Joseph's safety.
3. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
4. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
5. _______ thinks the city is different with all of the Japanese sentries in place, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
2. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
3. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
4. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
5. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
6. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
7. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
8. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
9. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
10. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the family's friends have left Shanghai, but Joseph refuses to do so, even though the area is dangerous and unstable.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph doesn't want to leave Shanghai?
Part 2: Why have so many of Joseph's friends left Shanghai?
Part 3: How do you think you might act if others in your life left your city or the country in a time of crisis?
Essay Topic 2
Some people in Shanghai continue to go about their daily lives, unaware of the conflict.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are unaware of the conflict?
Part 2: Do you think it would be possible to not know of a war where you are living now?
Part 3: How do you think people should behave during times of war?
Essay Topic 3
Anna is curious about her background and she wants to learn as much as she can, mostly to please her father.
Part 1: Why is it important to Anna that she please her father?
Part 2: How does a person begin to please their parents?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna feels that she needs to please her father?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)