|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Anna and Genevieve arrive at their final destination, who does Anna meet for the first time?
2. Though the family is wealthy, they only have ________ live-in servants, according to the story's description.
3. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
4. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
5. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
2. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
3. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
4. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
5. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
6. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
7. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
8. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
9. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
10. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna begins to worry about her father when she learns of his story through a Life Magazine article.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna still cares about her father?
Part 2: Do you think Anna should spend her time worrying about her father?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were in Anna's position?
Essay Topic 2
Anna's father love the city of Shanghai and wants his daughter to love it just as much so he tries to encourage her learning whenever he can.
Part 1: Why does Joseph love Shanghai so much?
Part 2: Why is it important that Anna grow to love the city as much?
Part 3: How do you think a person can fall in love with a city?
Essay Topic 3
Anna's father seems to be caught up in smuggling for a part of the story, which puts his family at risk.
Part 1: Why would a person decide to be a smuggler when their family could be in danger?
Part 2: How do you think Joseph could have protected his family more?
Part 3: Do you think Joseph cares about the safety of his family?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)