|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Genevieve and Will Marsh do in order to speed up the release of Joseph from the kidnappers?
2. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
3. Who becomes sick at night with a fever causing Joseph to apologize for the way that he behaved that day?
4. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
5. The American ___________ is the facility that helps by delivering food and supplies to the internment camp.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
2. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
3. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
4. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
5. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
6. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
7. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
8. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
9. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
10. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
Essay Topic 1
Joseph decides to take a job in Shanghai and leaves his family once again when he receives the offer from a friend, now General, in China.
Part 1: Why do you think Joseph decides to get a job so far away?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph wants to be with his family anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Joseph have kept his family together?
Essay Topic 2
Anna is afraid of being hurt again when her father begins to write to her and her mother again.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is afraid of being hurt by her father again?
Part 2: How might you respond to Joseph if you were in Anna's position?
Part 3: What do you think Joseph really wants from his family?
Essay Topic 3
Genevieve has always thought of Shanghai as a temporary home, so she is ready to move back to the United States when the time comes.
Part 1: Do you think Genevieve should have thought of Shanghai as a temporary home?
Part 2: Do you think Joseph believes Shanghai to be a temporary home?
Part 3: Why do you think Genevieve believed Shanghai to be a temporary home?
This section contains 1,819 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)