|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Anna reads about her mother's condition at the library?
2. Who refuses to leave Hong Kong, which causes him to be arrested?
(a) William Masters.
(c) Chung Do.
(d) Mei Wah.
3. Shanghai has always felt like ________ to Joseph, even if his wife and daughter are not around.
4. At what time does Anna's father show up at her door on her birthday, bringing roses and perfume?
(a) 1:00 pm.
(b) 10:00 am.
(c) 11:00 am.
(d) 9:00 am.
5. For how long is Joseph in Chungking, according to this section of the story?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 11 months.
(d) 15 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the war ends, the city of Shanghai is controlled by the ____________ government.
2. What business has Joseph sold so that he could move to Bunker Hill in Los Angeles?
3. Who is at Anna's side after the C-Section that delivers her daughter?
4. Who posted the letter for Joseph, which is why it had been re-routed?
5. What is the new spelling of Anna and Genevieve's last name, according to this section of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
2. What happens when Joseph writes frequently and sends gifts at Christmas to Anna?
3. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
4. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
5. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
6. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
7. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
8. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
9. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
10. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)