|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the war ends, the city of Shanghai is controlled by the ____________ government.
(a) Japanese emperor.
(b) Nationalist Chinese.
(c) Nationalist Japanese.
(d) Chinese emperor.
2. Joseph tells Genevieve that he doesn't want a _________, which Anna hears from her bedroom.
(a) Trip to America.
(c) Boring life.
3. According to this section of the book, __________ is more dangerous now than it was when it was under the Japanese rule.
4. Joseph begins to spend a lot of time at the ________ learning about the news and what has been happening in the world.
(a) Train station.
5. Who does Anna end up marrying in 1953 after she graduates college?
(a) Jack Bradley.
(b) Jeff Brackson.
(c) John Brady.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
2. Joseph sees a group of ________ loading packages onto a freighter and wonders if this is the process of gold being moved.
3. Anna currently attends the University of __________ at Los Angeles at the time of the article.
4. What does Joseph obtain in order to begin to import cars and trucks into the country?
5. Who hosts a party to celebrate Anna and her husband's first wedding anniversary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Joseph as happy in California as he is when he is living in Shanghai?
2. What does Anna notice about the behavior of Joseph once he returns to live with them?
3. Why does Joseph decide to buy several guns when he is living in China?
4. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
5. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
6. What does Anna tell Jack on the day of her 25th birthday?
7. What happens when Joseph writes frequently and sends gifts at Christmas to Anna?
8. What is not in the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in May of 1942?
9. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
10. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)