|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
(a) Media control.
(b) Solitary confinement.
(c) Internment camp.
(d) Work camp.
2. Who posted the letter for Joseph, which is why it had been re-routed?
(a) Dr. McLain.
(b) Mei Wah.
(c) No one.
(d) Will Masters.
3. Where does Joseph find the items that he has hidden before the war?
(a) In a closet.
(b) Nowhere. They are gone.
(c) In his office.
(d) In a package with his name on it.
4. What business has Joseph sold so that he could move to Bunker Hill in Los Angeles?
5. Who becomes more talkative and more open as time goes on?
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
2. Where is the postmark from on the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in 1942?
3. _______ decides at this point of the book that she will never allow Joseph in her life again.
4. Genevieve learns from the ____________ that Joseph has been taken a prisoner in March, 1943.
5. What does Joseph send to Anna as a gift on her seventeenth birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genevieve tell Anna about her father when they learn he will be coming home?
2. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
3. What does Joseph's journalist friend confirm about the movement Joseph sees one night?
4. What is the job Joseph is offered by a Shanghai friend, General Shang Chen?
5. What does Anna hear her father tell her mother after he comes back to the house after the run-in at the restaurant?
6. What does Joseph tell Anna about his life when they are at a nearby Chinese restaurant?
7. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
8. What does Joseph do when the government orders him to leave Hong Kong?
9. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
10. What happens as a result of the investigations by the Communist government?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)