|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph predicts that the fighting in the city will only last a __________, and he doesn't appear to be concerned.
2. What is signaled in the town which leads Genevieve to tell Mei Wah to take them home from shopping?
(a) Air raids.
3. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
4. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
(c) House foundation.
5. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the time of the new curfew, which is one of the biggest changes in the city, according to the book?
2. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
3. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
4. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
5. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
2. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
3. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
4. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
5. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
6. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
7. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
8. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
9. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
10. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)