|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what university were both of the parents in this story students when they first met?
2. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
3. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
4. What does Anna get to drink on the morning of her seventh birthday?
(d) Hot cocoa.
5. Joseph predicts that the fighting in the city will only last a __________, and he doesn't appear to be concerned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
2. What is the last name of the family that is featured in this story?
3. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
4. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
5. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
2. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
3. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
4. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
5. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
6. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
7. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
8. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
9. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
10. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)