|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date that Genevieve and Anna leave in order to make the trip to Los Angeles?
(a) January 13.
(b) January 4.
(c) January 25.
(d) January 24.
2. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
3. What continues to be held in Cerecle Sportif in the city, oblivious to the events going on around it?
(b) Sweet sixteen party.
4. Anna begins to learn how to do all of the things that the ________ used to do in Shanghai.
5. What does Anna get to drink on the morning of her seventh birthday?
(c) Hot cocoa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
2. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
3. Gran always buys how many books a week for Anna to read so that she can learn to read more easily?
4. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
5. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
2. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
3. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
4. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
5. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
6. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
7. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
8. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
9. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
10. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)