|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Japanese die at the Hunngjao airfield, causing Japanese warships to arrive?
2. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) A summons to court.
(b) Decapitated head.
(c) A letter from Anna.
(d) A poster.
3. Anna is enrolled in Oneonta _______ school when she arrives in Los Angeles during this point of the story.
4. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
5. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
(b) No one.
(c) Mei Wah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
2. What is the time of the new curfew, which is one of the biggest changes in the city, according to the book?
3. Who regards the house on Jungjoa as a temporary home, according to the book?
4. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
5. Foreigners cannot go outside the city limits after the Japanese attack on ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
2. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
3. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
4. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
5. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
6. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
7. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
8. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
9. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
10. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)