|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
2. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
(a) Raw materials.
3. What city in China falls on July 28, 1937, according to the book's description?
(c) No city falls.
4. Questioning means _________, as Joseph learns from a young journalist who he had helped bring into the camp.
(b) An out.
5. _______ thinks the city is different with all of the Japanese sentries in place, according to the book.
(a) Mei Wah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna give back to her father, thinking that she might have been the one who started the war?
2. What is signaled in the town which leads Genevieve to tell Mei Wah to take them home from shopping?
3. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
4. The American ___________ is the facility that helps by delivering food and supplies to the internment camp.
5. Joseph is accused of witnessing a prisoner, _________, asking to have a letter smuggled out of the camp.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
2. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
5. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
6. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
7. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
8. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
9. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
10. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)