|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
2. What is the last name of the family that is featured in this story?
3. What is the name of the better quarters in which Joseph and the other leaders are housed?
4. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
(b) House foundation.
5. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) Decapitated head.
(b) A letter from Anna.
(c) A summons to court.
(d) A poster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
2. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
3. Foreigners cannot go outside the city limits after the Japanese attack on ______________.
4. What did the Japanese want from Joseph? They wanted him to be a ___________.
5. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
2. What happens to Joseph after Anna calls for an ambulance when he collapses at her home?
3. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
4. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
5. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
6. What does Joseph learn about his finances on New Year's Day 1949?
7. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
8. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
9. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
10. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)