|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph tells Anna that no matter what happens with Japan, they will be safe in the ______________.
(a) Internment camps.
(c) International Settlement.
(d) Border Town.
2. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
3. What begins to return to normal after the Japanese take over in Shanghai?
(d) Anna's fever.
4. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
5. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
2. Though the family is wealthy, they only have ________ live-in servants, according to the story's description.
3. Genevieve and Anna go to mass at the Cathedral of St. __________ in order to pray for Joseph's safety.
4. What is the first career into which Joseph goes after he has graduated from college?
5. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
2. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
5. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
6. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
7. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
8. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
9. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
10. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)