|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
(c) War photos.
(d) A locked box.
2. Allied nationals are allowed to withdraw the Chinese equivalent of ________ dollars each week.
3. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
4. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
(a) Bridge House.
(b) A metal cage.
(d) Bridge Manor.
5. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
(a) Judy Blume.
(c) Nancy Drew.
(d) Hardy Boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to pick up Anna after the kidnapping incident, according to the story?
2. Where does Anna decide to hide the yen note she finds on the floor?
3. Joseph and the others at the camp are allowed to attend a __________ in the summer of 1943.
4. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
5. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
2. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
3. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
4. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
5. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
6. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
7. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
8. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
9. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
10. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)