|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
(a) Air Force.
2. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
3. Who becomes sick at night with a fever causing Joseph to apologize for the way that he behaved that day?
(b) No one.
(c) Mei Wah.
4. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
(b) A basket.
(d) A doll.
5. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
(c) Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Genevieve and Anna notice when they are shopping in the city?
2. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
3. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
4. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
5. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
2. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
3. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
4. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
5. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
6. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
7. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
8. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
9. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
10. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)