|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
2. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
3. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
(a) Say goodbye.
(b) Shut down his businesses.
(d) Make more money.
4. Who regards the house on Jungjoa as a temporary home, according to the book?
5. What is the road on which the big shopping area is located, according to the book?
(a) Vilrog Road.
(b) Nanking Road.
(c) Nakora Road.
(d) Hupsong Road.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna's father say that he can leave her after he dies?
2. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
3. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
4. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
5. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
2. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
3. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
4. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
5. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
6. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
7. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
8. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
9. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
10. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)