|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
2. What continues to be held in Cerecle Sportif in the city, oblivious to the events going on around it?
(d) Sweet sixteen party.
3. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
4. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
5. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
(a) War photos.
(d) A locked box.
Short Answer Questions
1. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
2. Questioning means _________, as Joseph learns from a young journalist who he had helped bring into the camp.
3. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
4. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
5. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
2. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
3. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
4. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
5. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
6. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
7. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
8. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
9. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
10. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)