|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
2. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
(a) Hardy Boys.
(c) Nancy Drew.
(d) Judy Blume.
3. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
4. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
5. What is the time of the new curfew, which is one of the biggest changes in the city, according to the book?
(a) 10:00 pm.
(b) 11:00 pm.
(c) 12:00 am.
(d) 9:00 pm.
Short Answer Questions
1. On _________ mornings, Joseph takes Anna to the Foreign Correspondents Club.
2. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
3. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
4. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
5. What is the first career into which Joseph goes after he has graduated from college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
2. What does Joseph include in a brief letter to Anna in the months after Genevieve's funeral?
3. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
4. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
5. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
6. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
7. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
8. What happens when Genevieve and Anna decide to go to eat at Jimmy's?
9. What does Genevieve tell Anna about when she calls her in January 1954?
10. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)