|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the road on which the big shopping area is located, according to the book?
(a) Vilrog Road.
(b) Nakora Road.
(c) Hupsong Road.
(d) Nanking Road.
2. At the age of six, Anna knows enough about kidnappings to know that they have to __________.
(c) Make a trade.
(d) Be quiet.
3. Genevieve and Anna go to mass at the Cathedral of St. __________ in order to pray for Joseph's safety.
4. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
(a) United States.
5. Joseph tells Anna that no matter what happens with Japan, they will be safe in the ______________.
(a) International Settlement.
(b) Internment camps.
(d) Border Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first career into which Joseph goes after he has graduated from college?
2. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
3. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
4. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
5. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
2. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
3. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
4. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
5. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
6. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
7. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
8. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
9. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
10. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)