|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the age of six, Anna knows enough about kidnappings to know that they have to __________.
(b) Be quiet.
(c) Make a trade.
2. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
3. What is the first career into which Joseph goes after he has graduated from college?
4. On _________ mornings, Joseph takes Anna to the Foreign Correspondents Club.
5. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
(a) Hardy Boys.
(b) Nancy Drew.
(d) Judy Blume.
Short Answer Questions
1. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
2. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
3. Anna is enrolled in Oneonta _______ school when she arrives in Los Angeles during this point of the story.
4. The American ___________ is the facility that helps by delivering food and supplies to the internment camp.
5. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is not in the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in May of 1942?
2. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
3. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
4. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
5. What does Joseph find when he returns to his office on Yuen Thing Yuen Road?
6. What happens when Joseph opens the house on Hungjoa during this part of the story?
7. What happens when Joseph writes frequently and sends gifts at Christmas to Anna?
8. Why does Joseph decide to buy several guns when he is living in China?
9. What does Genevieve show to Anna after the party for her and Jack?
10. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)