|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
2. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
3. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
4. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
(a) Targeted attack.
(c) Warning sign.
(d) Good idea.
5. Where does Joseph end up moving to after he has closed up the home?
(a) American Club.
(b) His parents' house.
(c) The missionary.
(d) Internment camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes sick at night with a fever causing Joseph to apologize for the way that he behaved that day?
2. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
3. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
4. What is the last name of the family that is featured in this story?
5. Anna and Joseph go to Hsin Hung Chong where he needs to take a picture for an ___________ claim.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
2. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
3. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
4. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
5. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
6. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
7. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
8. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
9. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
10. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)