|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna get to drink on the morning of her seventh birthday?
(d) Hot cocoa.
2. The American ___________ is the facility that helps by delivering food and supplies to the internment camp.
3. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
(c) Money belt.
(d) Her necklace.
4. Where does Joseph end up moving to after he has closed up the home?
(a) American Club.
(b) His parents' house.
(c) The missionary.
(d) Internment camp.
5. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
(a) Mei Wah.
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
2. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
3. Who arrives to pick up Anna after the kidnapping incident, according to the story?
4. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
5. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
2. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
3. Why are Anna and Joseph in Hsin Hung Chong during this part of the story?
4. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
5. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
6. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
7. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
8. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
9. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
10. What does Joseph do in his office once he realizes that he might be in danger with this new political climate?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)