|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
(a) Fruit basket.
(b) Book shelf.
(c) Candy shop.
(d) Paper store.
2. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
(a) Good idea.
(b) Warning sign.
(c) Targeted attack.
3. The American ___________ is the facility that helps by delivering food and supplies to the internment camp.
4. At the age of six, Anna knows enough about kidnappings to know that they have to __________.
(a) Make a trade.
(b) Be quiet.
5. What does Anna give back to her father, thinking that she might have been the one who started the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
2. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
3. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
4. What begins to return to normal after the Japanese take over in Shanghai?
5. What is signaled in the town which leads Genevieve to tell Mei Wah to take them home from shopping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gran tell Anna that things will get better, after Anna and her mother have moved to California?
2. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
3. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
4. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
5. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
6. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
7. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
8. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
9. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
10. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)