|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
(a) Her shoes.
(d) A piece of paper.
2. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
(a) House foundation.
3. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
(b) Make more money.
(c) Say goodbye.
(d) Shut down his businesses.
4. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
5. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
Short Answer Questions
1. Colonel _________ tells the people at the camp that so long as they obey the rules, they will be fine.
2. What do Genevieve and Will Marsh do in order to speed up the release of Joseph from the kidnappers?
3. On _________ mornings, Joseph takes Anna to the Foreign Correspondents Club.
4. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
5. Though the family is wealthy, they only have ________ live-in servants, according to the story's description.
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does Anna and Genevieve share when they go to breakfast after mass one Sunday?
2. What happens when Anna decides to read about her mother's diagnosis at the library?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What does Joseph do with Anna when they go to the Foreign Correspondents Club on Saturday mornings?
5. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
6. What is Anna's response to Genevieve's request that Anna forgive her father?
7. What is the only thing that Joseph says about his time being kidnapped?
8. What do prisoners have to do as a part of their imprisonment by the Communist government?
9. What does Joseph end up telling Anna about the reason why they will not be living together in Shanghai?
10. What does Anna discover about Joseph's financial situation when she goes through his belongings?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)