|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Japanese die at the Hunngjao airfield, causing Japanese warships to arrive?
2. At the age of six, Anna knows enough about kidnappings to know that they have to __________.
(a) Be quiet.
(d) Make a trade.
3. Who keeps telling Anna that things will get better, even as Anna doesn't make friends?
4. What do Genevieve and Will Marsh do in order to speed up the release of Joseph from the kidnappers?
(a) Pay ransom.
(c) Give away a car.
(d) Call the police.
5. What continues to be held in Cerecle Sportif in the city, oblivious to the events going on around it?
(d) Sweet sixteen party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
2. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
3. What does Anna find in the closet when she goes off to explore, bored with drawing maps?
4. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
5. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men attempt to do in order to help the internees have what they need?
2. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
3. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
4. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
5. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
6. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
7. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
8. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
9. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
10. Why does Genevieve tell Mei Wah to take Anna home during their shopping trip?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)