|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
(a) Targeted attack.
(c) Warning sign.
(d) Good idea.
2. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
3. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
4. Anna is enrolled in Oneonta _______ school when she arrives in Los Angeles during this point of the story.
5. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
2. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
3. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
4. Where does Joseph end up moving to after he has closed up the home?
5. Joseph is accused of witnessing a prisoner, _________, asking to have a letter smuggled out of the camp.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two men that are put in charge of two different groups of internees at the camp?
2. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
3. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
4. What do the men at the internment camp find out about the Japanese?
5. What does Joseph tell Anna he does with the Japanese yen that she finds in a closet?
6. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
7. What happens when Anna and Joseph go to meet up with the servant, Mei Wah, in front of the hotel?
8. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
9. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
10. What does Joseph tell Anna about Japan when she asks him to point out the words on the world globe?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)