|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is signaled in the town which leads Genevieve to tell Mei Wah to take them home from shopping?
(c) Air raids.
2. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
3. Where are Anna and her father supposed to meet their servant?
(a) The school yard.
(b) Park Hotel.
(c) The main fountain.
(d) At home.
4. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
5. Who keeps telling Anna that things will get better, even as Anna doesn't make friends?
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
2. What does Anna get to drink on the morning of her seventh birthday?
3. Colonel _________ tells the people at the camp that so long as they obey the rules, they will be fine.
4. What does Anna give back to her father, thinking that she might have been the one who started the war?
5. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
2. When does the family share an emotional goodbye before Anna and Genevieve start their journey to Los Angeles?
3. What happens after two Japanese are killed at the Hungjao airfield, according to the book?
4. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
5. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
6. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
7. Why does Anna's father spend the night sitting beside Anna's bed?
8. What is the only difference between life before and life after the Japanese takeover Shanghai?
9. What does the United States government tell Americans in Shanghai to do when things become more violent?
10. What does Joseph explain to his daughter, Anna, in a letter that is attached to a box of his belongings?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)