|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city in China falls on July 28, 1937, according to the book's description?
(d) No city falls.
2. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
(a) United States.
3. Where are Anna and her father supposed to meet their servant?
(a) At home.
(b) The school yard.
(c) Park Hotel.
(d) The main fountain.
4. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
(b) Bridge House.
(c) Bridge Manor.
(d) A metal cage.
5. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
(b) Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Anna and Genevieve arrive at their final destination, who does Anna meet for the first time?
2. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
3. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
4. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
5. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new business that Joseph becomes involved in once the Japanese have taken over?
2. What does Anna begin to notice about her mother after living in Los Angeles for a while?
3. What does Genevieve do on Anna's seventh birthday, as described in this section of the book?
4. How did Anna's parents meet before deciding to get married and have a child together?
5. What does Joseph do in order to find comfort and in order to stay focused when at the internment camp?
6. What does Joseph feel about his money making opportunities outside of Shanghai?
7. What happens to the city after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor on December 8?
8. What does Joseph say when Genevieve tells him that she has purchased tickets for the family to return to the United States?
9. What do Anna and Genevieve do when they go to mass at the Cathedral of St. Ignatius?
10. How does Anna's mother feel about their home in Shanghai at the start of the book?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)