|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Genevieve tells Anna that Joseph will need time to _________ after he is back in Los Angeles with his family.
2. Where does Joseph often sleep, according to the description of his time in April, 1949?
3. How many more telegrams do Anna and her mother receive that leave them to believe Joseph is not coming back?
4. What do Anna and Genevieve do after mass one Sunday?
(a) Go to breakfast.
(b) Go shopping.
(c) Go for a walk.
(d) Head to the train station.
5. What kind of soldiers prevent Joseph from entering a particular area when walking on the Bund at night?
6. Joseph is accused of being a _________ and is held in a cell for three weeks without any questioning or charges.
7. Who walks away from the conversation between Anna and Joseph at the funeral?
(c) They don't talk.
8. Joseph decides that the ________ will not be able to control China, so he says where he is to make more money.
(a) Liberation army.
9. During what month of her pregnancy does Anna decide to quit her job in order to help her mother and to support her pregnancy?
10. Genevieve learns that Joseph will arrive in _________ in mid-December after the conflict is over.
(a) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
11. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
(a) Beverly Hills.
(b) North Pasadena.
(c) South Pasadena.
(d) Los Angeles.
12. Anna and her husband move into the house on ________ after her mother's death.
13. Joseph is nervous about ________ since his United States assets have been frozen.
(c) His work.
(d) His reputation.
14. What magazine reveals the details of Joseph's imprisonment to Anna and Genevieve?
15. What is the new spelling of Anna and Genevieve's last name, according to this section of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Genevieve tells Joseph that he needs to __________, but when he doesn't, she becomes upset.
2. Who thinks and worries about Joseph constantly, which is not something she had anticipated?
3. _______ decides at this point of the book that she will never allow Joseph in her life again.
4. For how long is Joseph in Chungking, according to this section of the story?
5. Genevieve tells Anna that according to newspaper articles, Joseph was released from prison and is now in __________.
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)