|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Joseph often sleep, according to the description of his time in April, 1949?
2. The Communists view Joseph's business as a form of ___________, so he is under investigation.
3. _________ says that Joseph is a person who only thinks of himself and does not concern himself with others.
(b) Mei Wei.
4. Anna and her husband move into the house on ________ after her mother's death.
5. What does Anna receive from Joseph in the months after her mother's death?
(a) A ring.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A brief letter.
(d) A gift certificate.
6. Joseph decides that the ________ will not be able to control China, so he says where he is to make more money.
(c) Liberation army.
7. What is the name of Anna's new baby, who will also be known as Eve?
8. According to this section of the book, __________ is more dangerous now than it was when it was under the Japanese rule.
9. What does Joseph stage before he is shipped to Vancouver in order to get him out the country?
(c) Hunger strike.
10. The women see Joseph eating at the restaurant with a Chinese ____________.
11. What does Joseph obtain in order to begin to import cars and trucks into the country?
(a) A new home.
(b) Import license.
(c) A tax license.
(d) A business permit.
12. Genevieve tells Joseph that he needs to __________, but when he doesn't, she becomes upset.
(a) Do his time.
(b) Go back to school.
(c) Pay some bills.
(d) Find a job.
13. _______ decides at this point of the book that she will never allow Joseph in her life again.
14. Anna begins to work at the ________ library after she graduates from college and is married.
(a) San Marino.
(b) Orange County.
(d) Los Angeles.
15. The government suddenly eliminates the _________ business, which is something Joseph did not expect.
(d) Money changing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Anna's baby due, which is when Genevieve hopes to live until?
2. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
3. ___________ has begun to take place in China, causing more conflict in the area and more troubles for those living there.
4. What does Anna learn about Joseph's work when he is not with the family?
5. How many more telegrams do Anna and her mother receive that leave them to believe Joseph is not coming back?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)