|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph begins to spend a lot of time at the ________ learning about the news and what has been happening in the world.
(d) Train station.
2. Where does Joseph find the items that he has hidden before the war?
(a) In a package with his name on it.
(b) Nowhere. They are gone.
(c) In his office.
(d) In a closet.
3. Who refuses to leave Hong Kong, which causes him to be arrested?
(a) Chung Do.
(b) Mei Wah.
(c) William Masters.
4. Shanghai has always felt like ________ to Joseph, even if his wife and daughter are not around.
5. What is in the small teak box that Anna receives from her father after the birth of her second daughter?
6. Who walks into the mortuary when Anna is visiting her mother?
7. Joseph tells Genevieve that he doesn't want a _________, which Anna hears from her bedroom.
(a) Boring life.
(c) Trip to America.
8. _________ says that Joseph is a person who only thinks of himself and does not concern himself with others.
(a) Mei Wei.
9. The government suddenly eliminates the _________ business, which is something Joseph did not expect.
(a) Money changing.
10. When is Anna's baby due, which is when Genevieve hopes to live until?
11. Genevieve learns that Joseph will arrive in _________ in mid-December after the conflict is over.
(b) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
12. Who hosts a party to celebrate Anna and her husband's first wedding anniversary?
(b) Anna's husband's family.
13. What office has frozen the assets of Joseph, according to the book?
(a) Internal Revenue Service.
(d) Office of Price Administration.
14. What is the name of Anna's new baby, who will also be known as Eve?
15. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
(a) Internment camp.
(b) Work camp.
(c) Media control.
(d) Solitary confinement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph sees a group of ________ loading packages onto a freighter and wonders if this is the process of gold being moved.
2. Genevieve learns from the ____________ that Joseph has been taken a prisoner in March, 1943.
3. Genevieve and Anna decide to eat at __________, when they see that Joseph has not arrived.
4. What is the word that Anna looks up in the dictionary after hearing her mother and Gran begin to use it?
5. What do Anna and Genevieve do after mass one Sunday?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)