|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Genevieve tells Anna that Joseph will need time to _________ after he is back in Los Angeles with his family.
2. What does Joseph see being driven by a Chinese man, though he reclaims it in the name of the government?
(a) Rolls Royce.
3. ___________ has begun to take place in China, causing more conflict in the area and more troubles for those living there.
(a) Economic downturn.
(c) Civil war.
(d) A new empire.
4. What is the birthday on which Anna tells her husband that she is pregnant with her second child?
5. Genevieve and Anna leave Shanghai on October ____, 1946, never to return, they believe.
6. Genevieve learns from the ____________ that Joseph has been taken a prisoner in March, 1943.
(b) American Red Cross.
(c) International Red Cross.
(d) Doctors Without Borders.
7. Who posted the letter for Joseph, which is why it had been re-routed?
(a) No one.
(b) Will Masters.
(c) Dr. McLain.
(d) Mei Wah.
8. Genevieve learns that Joseph will arrive in _________ in mid-December after the conflict is over.
(b) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
9. What does Joseph obtain in order to begin to import cars and trucks into the country?
(a) Import license.
(b) A tax license.
(c) A new home.
(d) A business permit.
10. Who drives Anna and Genevieve to the train station to meet Joseph when he returns?
(a) No one.
(c) Mei Wah.
(d) A taxi driver.
11. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
(a) Media control.
(b) Solitary confinement.
(c) Internment camp.
(d) Work camp.
12. Who walks into the mortuary when Anna is visiting her mother?
13. What is the new spelling of Anna and Genevieve's last name, according to this section of the book?
14. Genevieve and Anna decide to eat at __________, when they see that Joseph has not arrived.
(a) Plaza Hotel.
15. The women see Joseph eating at the restaurant with a Chinese ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph stage before he is shipped to Vancouver in order to get him out the country?
2. Who refuses to leave Hong Kong, which causes him to be arrested?
3. During what month of her pregnancy does Anna decide to quit her job in order to help her mother and to support her pregnancy?
4. Shanghai has always felt like ________ to Joseph, even if his wife and daughter are not around.
5. The government suddenly eliminates the _________ business, which is something Joseph did not expect.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)