|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna receive from Joseph in the months after her mother's death?
(a) A shoe.
(b) A ring.
(c) A brief letter.
(d) A gift certificate.
2. Who becomes more talkative and more open as time goes on?
3. Genevieve learns that Joseph will arrive in _________ in mid-December after the conflict is over.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
4. What is the birthday on which Anna tells her husband that she is pregnant with her second child?
5. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
(a) Forget Joseph.
(b) Forgive Joseph.
(d) Forgive Genevieve.
6. What does Joseph obtain in order to begin to import cars and trucks into the country?
(a) A new home.
(b) Import license.
(c) A business permit.
(d) A tax license.
7. Where is the postmark from on the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in 1942?
8. Shanghai has always felt like ________ to Joseph, even if his wife and daughter are not around.
9. Joseph decides that the ________ will not be able to control China, so he says where he is to make more money.
(c) Liberation army.
10. What language does Joseph speak to the staff when they go to a local Chinese restaurant?
(b) He doesn't.
11. Genevieve learns from the ____________ that Joseph has been taken a prisoner in March, 1943.
(a) Doctors Without Borders.
(b) American Red Cross.
(c) International Red Cross.
12. Genevieve tells Anna that Joseph will need time to _________ after he is back in Los Angeles with his family.
13. What is the color of the Cheongsam that Genevieve wears to the party?
14. Genevieve tells Joseph that he needs to __________, but when he doesn't, she becomes upset.
(a) Find a job.
(b) Pay some bills.
(c) Go back to school.
(d) Do his time.
15. The women see Joseph eating at the restaurant with a Chinese ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Genevieve tells Anna that according to newspaper articles, Joseph was released from prison and is now in __________.
2. Anna and Genevieve will be going to _________ in a month, even though Anna is not comfortable with this idea.
3. Genevieve and Anna decide to eat at __________, when they see that Joseph has not arrived.
4. What does Joseph invite Anna and the baby to, which she accepts?
5. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)