|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Joseph find the items that he has hidden before the war?
(a) Nowhere. They are gone.
(b) In his office.
(c) In a package with his name on it.
(d) In a closet.
2. ___________ has begun to take place in China, causing more conflict in the area and more troubles for those living there.
(a) Civil war.
(c) Economic downturn.
(d) A new empire.
3. _______ decides at this point of the book that she will never allow Joseph in her life again.
4. What magazine reveals the details of Joseph's imprisonment to Anna and Genevieve?
5. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
(a) Rich place.
(b) Fun place.
(c) Safe place.
(d) Easy place.
6. How much of Joseph's money has been unfrozen as of New Year's Eve, helping him to take care of his family?
7. What is the name of Anna's new baby, who will also be known as Eve?
8. What business has Joseph sold so that he could move to Bunker Hill in Los Angeles?
9. Joseph is nervous about ________ since his United States assets have been frozen.
(c) His work.
(d) His reputation.
10. Anna later realizes just how much of her personality she has received from ___________.
(b) Mei Wah.
11. Who thinks and worries about Joseph constantly, which is not something she had anticipated?
12. When the war ends, the city of Shanghai is controlled by the ____________ government.
(a) Nationalist Chinese.
(b) Nationalist Japanese.
(c) Chinese emperor.
(d) Japanese emperor.
13. What does Anna write in response to Joseph, according to this section of the book?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A postcard.
(d) A letter.
14. What happens when Anna reads about her mother's condition at the library?
15. How many more telegrams do Anna and her mother receive that leave them to believe Joseph is not coming back?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of watch does Anna's Gran give to her when she graduates?
2. __________ liberation army and the Chinese Nationalist troops are the two factions at war.
3. What is the new spelling of Anna and Genevieve's last name, according to this section of the book?
4. During what month of her pregnancy does Anna decide to quit her job in order to help her mother and to support her pregnancy?
5. Anna and Genevieve will be going to _________ in a month, even though Anna is not comfortable with this idea.
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)