|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Anna's father show up at her door on her birthday, bringing roses and perfume?
(a) 11:00 am.
(b) 9:00 am.
(c) 1:00 pm.
(d) 10:00 am.
2. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
(a) North Pasadena.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) South Pasadena.
(d) Beverly Hills.
3. What does Anna receive from Joseph in the months after her mother's death?
(a) A brief letter.
(b) A ring.
(c) A shoe.
(d) A gift certificate.
4. Joseph tells Genevieve that he doesn't want a _________, which Anna hears from her bedroom.
(b) Boring life.
(d) Trip to America.
5. What magazine reveals the details of Joseph's imprisonment to Anna and Genevieve?
6. What kind of watch does Anna's Gran give to her when she graduates?
(d) She doesn't.
7. Anna and Genevieve will be going to _________ in a month, even though Anna is not comfortable with this idea.
(b) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
8. The women see Joseph eating at the restaurant with a Chinese ____________.
9. __________ liberation army and the Chinese Nationalist troops are the two factions at war.
(c) Mao's Peoples.
10. The family welcomes Joseph to __________, and he is soon accepted as a part of the family again.
(b) Boxing Day.
11. Genevieve and Anna decide to eat at __________, when they see that Joseph has not arrived.
(d) Plaza Hotel.
12. Anna and her husband move into the house on ________ after her mother's death.
13. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
(a) Forget Joseph.
(c) Forgive Genevieve.
(d) Forgive Joseph.
14. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
(a) Solitary confinement.
(b) Work camp.
(c) Media control.
(d) Internment camp.
15. Who thinks and worries about Joseph constantly, which is not something she had anticipated?
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ decides at this point of the book that she will never allow Joseph in her life again.
2. ___________ has begun to take place in China, causing more conflict in the area and more troubles for those living there.
3. For how long is Joseph in Chungking, according to this section of the story?
4. What does Anna learn about Joseph's work when he is not with the family?
5. What does Joseph stage before he is shipped to Vancouver in order to get him out the country?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)