|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anna later realizes just how much of her personality she has received from ___________.
(b) Mei Wah.
2. Who becomes more talkative and more open as time goes on?
3. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
(a) Rich place.
(b) Fun place.
(c) Safe place.
(d) Easy place.
4. __________ liberation army and the Chinese Nationalist troops are the two factions at war.
(c) Mao's Peoples.
5. _________ says that Joseph is a person who only thinks of himself and does not concern himself with others.
(d) Mei Wei.
6. What happens when Anna reads about her mother's condition at the library?
7. What does Anna learn about Joseph's work when he is not with the family?
(a) He is retired.
(b) Night janitor.
8. What office has frozen the assets of Joseph, according to the book?
(a) Internal Revenue Service.
(d) Office of Price Administration.
9. Anna and her husband move into the house on ________ after her mother's death.
10. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
(a) Solitary confinement.
(b) Internment camp.
(c) Media control.
(d) Work camp.
11. Where does Anna's mother eventually die after being hospitalized several more times?
(b) Anna's home.
12. The government suddenly eliminates the _________ business, which is something Joseph did not expect.
(c) Money changing.
13. Who refuses to leave Hong Kong, which causes him to be arrested?
(b) Mei Wah.
(c) William Masters.
(d) Chung Do.
14. Genevieve learns from the ____________ that Joseph has been taken a prisoner in March, 1943.
(b) International Red Cross.
(c) American Red Cross.
(d) Doctors Without Borders.
15. For how long is Joseph in Chungking, according to this section of the story?
(a) 11 months.
(b) 9 years.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 3 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna currently attends the University of __________ at Los Angeles at the time of the article.
2. What is the birthday on which Anna tells her husband that she is pregnant with her second child?
3. Shanghai has always felt like ________ to Joseph, even if his wife and daughter are not around.
4. What magazine reveals the details of Joseph's imprisonment to Anna and Genevieve?
5. What do Anna and Genevieve do after mass one Sunday?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)