|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
(a) Safe place.
(b) Rich place.
(c) Easy place.
(d) Fun place.
2. Where is the postmark from on the letter that Genevieve receives from Joseph in 1942?
3. How much of Joseph's money has been unfrozen as of New Year's Eve, helping him to take care of his family?
4. Who thinks and worries about Joseph constantly, which is not something she had anticipated?
5. What does Anna receive from Joseph in the months after her mother's death?
(a) A ring.
(b) A gift certificate.
(c) A brief letter.
(d) A shoe.
6. Joseph is nervous about ________ since his United States assets have been frozen.
(a) His reputation.
(c) His work.
7. What does Anna learn about Joseph's work when he is not with the family?
(a) He is retired.
(c) Night janitor.
8. ___________ has begun to take place in China, causing more conflict in the area and more troubles for those living there.
(a) A new empire.
(b) Civil war.
(d) Economic downturn.
9. What magazine reveals the details of Joseph's imprisonment to Anna and Genevieve?
10. What is the color of the Cheongsam that Genevieve wears to the party?
11. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
(a) North Pasadena.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) Beverly Hills.
(d) South Pasadena.
12. What does Anna write in response to Joseph, according to this section of the book?
(a) A postcard.
(b) A telegram.
(c) A letter.
13. Joseph sees a group of ________ loading packages onto a freighter and wonders if this is the process of gold being moved.
14. What does Joseph do for the family in order to help them out with their home?
(b) Furniture moving.
15. What do Anna and Genevieve soon learn about the condition of Genevieve?
(a) She is healthy for her age.
(b) She has dementia.
(c) She has leukemia.
(d) She has arthritis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is at Anna's side after the C-Section that delivers her daughter?
2. What is the name of Anna's new baby, who will also be known as Eve?
3. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
4. Where does Joseph often sleep, according to the description of his time in April, 1949?
5. During what month of her pregnancy does Anna decide to quit her job in order to help her mother and to support her pregnancy?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)