|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
(a) Forgive Joseph.
(b) Forgive Genevieve.
(d) Forget Joseph.
2. Who thinks and worries about Joseph constantly, which is not something she had anticipated?
3. During what year of her college education does Anna learn about her father?
4. What business has Joseph sold so that he could move to Bunker Hill in Los Angeles?
5. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) Beverly Hills.
(c) South Pasadena.
(d) North Pasadena.
6. Joseph is nervous about ________ since his United States assets have been frozen.
(b) His work.
(d) His reputation.
7. Joseph begins to spend a lot of time at the ________ learning about the news and what has been happening in the world.
(b) Train station.
8. What does Joseph obtain in order to begin to import cars and trucks into the country?
(a) A tax license.
(b) A business permit.
(c) A new home.
(d) Import license.
9. Joseph decides that the ________ will not be able to control China, so he says where he is to make more money.
(a) Liberation army.
10. Who walks away from the conversation between Anna and Joseph at the funeral?
(b) They don't talk.
11. In what city do Anna and her husband live, close to her family?
(a) Laguna Beach.
(b) Culver City.
(c) San Diego.
(d) South Pasadena.
12. Joseph sees a group of ________ loading packages onto a freighter and wonders if this is the process of gold being moved.
13. The women see Joseph eating at the restaurant with a Chinese ____________.
14. What does Anna receive from Joseph in the months after her mother's death?
(a) A gift certificate.
(b) A ring.
(c) A brief letter.
(d) A shoe.
15. How much of Joseph's money has been unfrozen as of New Year's Eve, helping him to take care of his family?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Communists view Joseph's business as a form of ___________, so he is under investigation.
2. During what month of her pregnancy does Anna decide to quit her job in order to help her mother and to support her pregnancy?
3. __________ liberation army and the Chinese Nationalist troops are the two factions at war.
4. What does Joseph decide to buy in response to the guerrilla activity going on in the city?
5. What does Anna write in response to Joseph, according to this section of the book?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)