|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
(a) Rich place.
(b) Safe place.
(c) Fun place.
(d) Easy place.
2. Where does Anna's mother eventually die after being hospitalized several more times?
(b) Anna's home.
3. When the war ends, the city of Shanghai is controlled by the ____________ government.
(a) Nationalist Chinese.
(b) Chinese emperor.
(c) Nationalist Japanese.
(d) Japanese emperor.
4. How many more telegrams do Anna and her mother receive that leave them to believe Joseph is not coming back?
5. Anna begins to work at the ________ library after she graduates from college and is married.
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) San Marino.
(c) Orange County.
6. Anna starts her new life at _________ High School, where she decides never to talk about Shanghai again.
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) South Pasadena.
(c) North Pasadena.
(d) Beverly Hills.
7. Who is at Anna's side after the C-Section that delivers her daughter?
8. What does Anna receive from Joseph in the months after her mother's death?
(a) A gift certificate.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A brief letter.
(d) A ring.
9. What does Joseph obtain in order to begin to import cars and trucks into the country?
(a) Import license.
(b) A new home.
(c) A tax license.
(d) A business permit.
10. When is Anna's baby due, which is when Genevieve hopes to live until?
11. Where do Genevieve and Anna live for a month before Anna learns they are moving to Hungjoa?
(b) Will Masters' house.
12. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
(a) Work camp.
(b) Media control.
(c) Solitary confinement.
(d) Internment camp.
13. What kind of watch does Anna's Gran give to her when she graduates?
(a) She doesn't.
14. The family welcomes Joseph to __________, and he is soon accepted as a part of the family again.
(a) Boxing Day.
15. What does Joseph send to Anna as a gift on her seventeenth birthday?
(c) Gold necklace.
(d) Pearl earrings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna later realizes just how much of her personality she has received from ___________.
2. What office has frozen the assets of Joseph, according to the book?
3. Who drives Anna and Genevieve to the train station to meet Joseph when he returns?
4. Who refuses to leave Hong Kong, which causes him to be arrested?
5. Who thinks that Joseph isn't coming to meet them in Los Angeles because of something that she did?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)