|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who thinks and worries about Joseph constantly, which is not something she had anticipated?
2. Genevieve tells Anna that according to newspaper articles, Joseph was released from prison and is now in __________.
(b) New York.
(c) Hong Kong.
3. What does Anna do with the money that she receives from selling the gift Joseph gets her?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Buys a car.
(c) Donates it to church.
(d) Sends it back.
4. Joseph ends up telling Anna that Shanghai is not a __________ for a little girl.
(a) Safe place.
(b) Fun place.
(c) Easy place.
(d) Rich place.
5. According to this section of the book, __________ is more dangerous now than it was when it was under the Japanese rule.
6. ___________ has begun to take place in China, causing more conflict in the area and more troubles for those living there.
(a) Civil war.
(c) Economic downturn.
(d) A new empire.
7. What do Anna and Genevieve do after mass one Sunday?
(a) Go shopping.
(b) Go to breakfast.
(c) Head to the train station.
(d) Go for a walk.
8. Who refuses to leave Hong Kong, which causes him to be arrested?
(a) William Masters.
(b) Mei Wah.
(c) Chung Do.
9. Who walks into the mortuary when Anna is visiting her mother?
10. How much of Joseph's money has been unfrozen as of New Year's Eve, helping him to take care of his family?
11. The women see Joseph eating at the restaurant with a Chinese ____________.
12. What office has frozen the assets of Joseph, according to the book?
(b) Internal Revenue Service.
(c) Office of Price Administration.
13. The Communists view Joseph's business as a form of ___________, so he is under investigation.
14. What is the color of the Cheongsam that Genevieve wears to the party?
15. Where does Anna's mother eventually die after being hospitalized several more times?
(c) Anna's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Anna's father show up at her door on her birthday, bringing roses and perfume?
2. Who is at Anna's side after the C-Section that delivers her daughter?
3. Anna agrees to __________ in order to make her mother happy as she recuperates from her illness.
4. Where does Joseph find the items that he has hidden before the war?
5. Instead of being killed during his interrogation, Joseph is placed into ___________.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)