|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
2. Joseph and the others at the camp are allowed to attend a __________ in the summer of 1943.
(b) Birthday party.
3. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
(c) Her shoes.
(d) A piece of paper.
4. What is signaled in the town which leads Genevieve to tell Mei Wah to take them home from shopping?
(b) Air raids.
5. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
6. Where does Joseph end up moving to after he has closed up the home?
(a) The missionary.
(b) His parents' house.
(c) Internment camp.
(d) American Club.
7. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
(c) Mei Wah.
(d) No one.
8. Where are Anna and her father supposed to meet their servant?
(a) Park Hotel.
(b) The main fountain.
(c) The school yard.
(d) At home.
9. What did the Japanese want from Joseph? They wanted him to be a ___________.
(a) Bank roller.
(c) Legal officer.
10. Who regards the house on Jungjoa as a temporary home, according to the book?
11. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
12. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
13. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
(a) Buys tickets.
(b) Packs her bags.
(c) Divorces Joseph.
14. What do Genevieve and Will Marsh do in order to speed up the release of Joseph from the kidnappers?
(a) Pay ransom.
(c) Give away a car.
(d) Call the police.
15. What is the road on which the big shopping area is located, according to the book?
(a) Nakora Road.
(b) Vilrog Road.
(c) Nanking Road.
(d) Hupsong Road.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna's father say that he can leave her after he dies?
2. What does Anna find in the closet when she goes off to explore, bored with drawing maps?
3. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
4. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
5. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)