|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
2. What begins to return to normal after the Japanese take over in Shanghai?
(c) Anna's fever.
3. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
4. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
(b) Bridge House.
(c) Bridge Manor.
(d) A metal cage.
5. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
6. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
7. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
8. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
(a) Grow up quickly.
(b) Buy more.
(c) Be back.
(d) Not have room.
9. Prisoners can only leave the camp, for the most part, if they are near _________.
10. Anna and Joseph go to Hsin Hung Chong where he needs to take a picture for an ___________ claim.
11. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
(a) Warning sign.
(b) Targeted attack.
(d) Good idea.
12. Who regards the house on Jungjoa as a temporary home, according to the book?
13. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
14. Where does Joseph end up moving to after he has closed up the home?
(a) The missionary.
(b) Internment camp.
(c) His parents' house.
(d) American Club.
15. Who keeps telling Anna that things will get better, even as Anna doesn't make friends?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Genevieve and Will Marsh do in order to speed up the release of Joseph from the kidnappers?
2. What city in China falls on July 28, 1937, according to the book's description?
3. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
4. Allied nationals are allowed to withdraw the Chinese equivalent of ________ dollars each week.
5. At what university were both of the parents in this story students when they first met?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)