|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
2. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
3. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
(a) United States.
4. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
(a) Good idea.
(b) Targeted attack.
(c) Warning sign.
5. What continues to be held in Cerecle Sportif in the city, oblivious to the events going on around it?
(b) Sweet sixteen party.
6. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
(c) Mei Wah.
7. Prisoners can only leave the camp, for the most part, if they are near _________.
8. _______ thinks the city is different with all of the Japanese sentries in place, according to the book.
(c) Mei Wah.
9. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) A letter from Anna.
(b) A poster.
(c) Decapitated head.
(d) A summons to court.
10. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
(a) Book shelf.
(b) Fruit basket.
(c) Candy shop.
(d) Paper store.
11. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
12. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
(a) Mei Wah.
(c) No one.
13. Colonel _________ tells the people at the camp that so long as they obey the rules, they will be fine.
14. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
(c) Air Force.
15. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ troops are ordered to leave Shanghai in November of 1941, according to the story.
2. Allied nationals are allowed to withdraw the Chinese equivalent of ________ dollars each week.
3. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
4. What begins to return to normal after the Japanese take over in Shanghai?
5. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)