|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
2. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
3. What begins to return to normal after the Japanese take over in Shanghai?
(d) Anna's fever.
4. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
(a) Her necklace.
(c) Money belt.
5. _________ troops are ordered to leave Shanghai in November of 1941, according to the story.
6. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
(b) Bridge Manor.
(c) Bridge House.
(d) A metal cage.
7. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
8. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
(a) Make more money.
(b) Shut down his businesses.
(c) Say goodbye.
9. What continues to be held in Cerecle Sportif in the city, oblivious to the events going on around it?
(c) Sweet sixteen party.
10. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
11. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
(b) Real estate.
12. Joseph tells Anna that no matter what happens with Japan, they will be safe in the ______________.
(b) Internment camps.
(c) International Settlement.
(d) Border Town.
13. What did the Japanese want from Joseph? They wanted him to be a ___________.
(a) Legal officer.
(c) Bank roller.
14. Who keeps telling Anna that things will get better, even as Anna doesn't make friends?
15. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
(a) Buy more.
(b) Grow up quickly.
(c) Be back.
(d) Not have room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Japanese die at the Hunngjao airfield, causing Japanese warships to arrive?
2. Prisoners can only leave the camp, for the most part, if they are near _________.
3. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
4. Where are Anna and her father supposed to meet their servant?
5. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)