|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
(a) Hardy Boys.
(b) Nancy Drew.
(d) Judy Blume.
2. What is the date that Genevieve and Anna leave in order to make the trip to Los Angeles?
(a) January 13.
(b) January 25.
(c) January 4.
(d) January 24.
3. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
4. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
5. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
6. _________ troops are ordered to leave Shanghai in November of 1941, according to the story.
7. Where are Anna and her father supposed to meet their servant?
(a) The school yard.
(b) The main fountain.
(c) At home.
(d) Park Hotel.
8. On _________ mornings, Joseph takes Anna to the Foreign Correspondents Club.
9. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
10. Foreigners cannot go outside the city limits after the Japanese attack on ______________.
(b) Pearl Harbor.
(c) North Korea.
(d) South Korea.
11. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
(c) War photos.
(d) A locked box.
12. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
13. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
(b) Air Force.
14. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
(c) A basket.
(d) A doll.
15. Though the family is wealthy, they only have ________ live-in servants, according to the story's description.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes sick at night with a fever causing Joseph to apologize for the way that he behaved that day?
2. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
3. When Anna and Genevieve arrive at their final destination, who does Anna meet for the first time?
4. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
5. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)