|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On _________ mornings, Joseph takes Anna to the Foreign Correspondents Club.
2. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
(a) Hardy Boys.
(c) Nancy Drew.
(d) Judy Blume.
3. _______ thinks the city is different with all of the Japanese sentries in place, according to the book.
(b) Mei Wah.
4. _________ troops are ordered to leave Shanghai in November of 1941, according to the story.
5. What is signaled in the town which leads Genevieve to tell Mei Wah to take them home from shopping?
(c) Air raids.
6. Anna begins to learn how to do all of the things that the ________ used to do in Shanghai.
7. What did the Japanese want from Joseph? They wanted him to be a ___________.
(b) Legal officer.
(c) Bank roller.
8. What does Anna's father say that he can leave her after he dies?
(a) His legal issues.
(b) His money.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His journals.
9. The American ___________ is the facility that helps by delivering food and supplies to the internment camp.
10. Who arrives to pick up Anna after the kidnapping incident, according to the story?
(a) The police.
(b) Mei Wah.
(d) No one.
11. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
(b) Mei Wah.
12. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
13. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
(a) Candy shop.
(b) Book shelf.
(c) Paper store.
(d) Fruit basket.
14. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
(a) A basket.
(b) A doll.
15. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
(b) Shut down his businesses.
(c) Make more money.
(d) Say goodbye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joseph end up moving to after he has closed up the home?
2. What does Anna give back to her father, thinking that she might have been the one who started the war?
3. What is the date that Genevieve and Anna leave in order to make the trip to Los Angeles?
4. Who becomes sick at night with a fever causing Joseph to apologize for the way that he behaved that day?
5. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)