|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Colonel _________ tells the people at the camp that so long as they obey the rules, they will be fine.
2. Allied nationals are allowed to withdraw the Chinese equivalent of ________ dollars each week.
3. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
(c) Mei Wah.
4. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
5. When Anna and Genevieve arrive at their final destination, who does Anna meet for the first time?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her uncle.
6. What do Genevieve and Will Marsh do in order to speed up the release of Joseph from the kidnappers?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Pay ransom.
(c) Give away a car.
7. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
(a) Good idea.
(b) Warning sign.
(c) Targeted attack.
8. What does Anna give back to her father, thinking that she might have been the one who started the war?
9. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
(a) Be back.
(b) Not have room.
(c) Grow up quickly.
(d) Buy more.
10. What do Genevieve and Anna notice when they are shopping in the city?
11. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
12. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
(a) Paper store.
(b) Book shelf.
(c) Candy shop.
(d) Fruit basket.
13. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
14. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
(b) Air Force.
15. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
(a) Buys tickets.
(b) Packs her bags.
(d) Divorces Joseph.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
2. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
3. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
4. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
5. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)