|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Anna decide to hide the yen note she finds on the floor?
(a) A book.
(b) She doesn't.
(c) Her shoe.
(d) The closet.
2. Prisoners can only leave the camp, for the most part, if they are near _________.
3. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
(a) A basket.
(b) A doll.
4. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
(a) Divorces Joseph.
(c) Buys tickets.
(d) Packs her bags.
5. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
(b) Air Force.
6. What city in China falls on July 28, 1937, according to the book's description?
(c) No city falls.
7. Though the family is wealthy, they only have ________ live-in servants, according to the story's description.
8. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
9. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
10. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
11. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) Decapitated head.
(b) A summons to court.
(c) A letter from Anna.
(d) A poster.
12. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
13. What did the Japanese want from Joseph? They wanted him to be a ___________.
(c) Bank roller.
(d) Legal officer.
14. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
(a) Hardy Boys.
(b) Nancy Drew.
(c) Judy Blume.
15. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
(a) Paper store.
(b) Book shelf.
(c) Candy shop.
(d) Fruit basket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Genevieve and Anna notice when they are shopping in the city?
2. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
3. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
4. Who regards the house on Jungjoa as a temporary home, according to the book?
5. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)