|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Anna and Genevieve arrive at their final destination, who does Anna meet for the first time?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her brother.
2. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
(b) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
3. Anna and Joseph go to Hsin Hung Chong where he needs to take a picture for an ___________ claim.
4. At what university were both of the parents in this story students when they first met?
5. Joseph and the others at the camp are allowed to attend a __________ in the summer of 1943.
(d) Birthday party.
6. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
(b) Raw materials.
7. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
(a) Divorces Joseph.
(b) Buys tickets.
(d) Packs her bags.
8. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
9. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
(d) Real estate.
10. What begins to return to normal after the Japanese take over in Shanghai?
(d) Anna's fever.
11. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) A letter from Anna.
(b) A summons to court.
(c) Decapitated head.
(d) A poster.
12. What does Anna find in the closet when she goes off to explore, bored with drawing maps?
(a) United States dollars.
(b) Japanese yen.
(d) A bible.
13. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
(b) A locked box.
(d) War photos.
14. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
15. Who becomes sick at night with a fever causing Joseph to apologize for the way that he behaved that day?
(b) Mei Wah.
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
2. What is the time of the new curfew, which is one of the biggest changes in the city, according to the book?
3. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
4. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
5. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)