|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
(d) Real estate.
2. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
3. At the age of six, Anna knows enough about kidnappings to know that they have to __________.
(b) Be quiet.
(d) Make a trade.
4. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
(c) United States.
5. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
6. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
(a) Money belt.
(c) Her necklace.
7. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
(c) A locked box.
(d) War photos.
8. Joseph tells Anna that no matter what happens with Japan, they will be safe in the ______________.
(a) International Settlement.
(b) Internment camps.
(c) Border Town.
9. What does Anna get to drink on the morning of her seventh birthday?
(c) Hot cocoa.
10. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
(d) Air Force.
11. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
12. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
13. What is the last name of the family that is featured in this story?
14. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
(b) A doll.
(d) A basket.
15. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) A summons to court.
(b) Decapitated head.
(c) A poster.
(d) A letter from Anna.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
2. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
3. How many Japanese die at the Hunngjao airfield, causing Japanese warships to arrive?
4. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
5. A note talks about how __________ will be punished if they write anything bad about the government.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)