|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes sick at night with a fever causing Joseph to apologize for the way that he behaved that day?
(a) No one.
(b) Mei Wah.
2. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
3. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
(b) Buys tickets.
(c) Packs her bags.
(d) Divorces Joseph.
4. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
5. Joseph is accused of witnessing a prisoner, _________, asking to have a letter smuggled out of the camp.
(a) Richard Fletcher.
(b) Mei Wah.
(c) Will Masters.
(d) Joe Masters.
6. Questioning means _________, as Joseph learns from a young journalist who he had helped bring into the camp.
(c) An out.
7. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) Decapitated head.
(b) A summons to court.
(c) A letter from Anna.
(d) A poster.
8. What is the time of the new curfew, which is one of the biggest changes in the city, according to the book?
(a) 9:00 pm.
(b) 10:00 pm.
(c) 12:00 am.
(d) 11:00 pm.
9. What is the road on which the big shopping area is located, according to the book?
(a) Hupsong Road.
(b) Nakora Road.
(c) Vilrog Road.
(d) Nanking Road.
10. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
(a) Mei Wah.
11. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
12. How many other men are assigned to the same room that Joseph is assigned to?
13. What is the first career into which Joseph goes after he has graduated from college?
14. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
(d) House foundation.
15. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
(b) Money belt.
(c) Her necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Japanese want from Joseph? They wanted him to be a ___________.
2. Joseph tells Anna that no matter what happens with Japan, they will be safe in the ______________.
3. What does Anna find when she is looking in her parents' room to find her birthday presents?
4. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
5. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)