|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
2. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
(c) United States.
3. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
4. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
5. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
(b) Make more money.
(c) Say goodbye.
(d) Shut down his businesses.
6. Allied nationals are allowed to withdraw the Chinese equivalent of ________ dollars each week.
7. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
(a) Her shoes.
(c) A piece of paper.
8. Gran always buys how many books a week for Anna to read so that she can learn to read more easily?
9. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
10. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
(b) Real estate.
11. In what sort of house does the family live when they are in Shanghai?
12. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
(b) No one.
(c) Mei Wah.
13. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
14. What does Anna give back to her father, thinking that she might have been the one who started the war?
15. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Genevieve and Anna go to mass at the Cathedral of St. __________ in order to pray for Joseph's safety.
2. What does Anna call Liu and Company, one of her favorite places to go on the trips with her father?
3. Who begins to dress differently and to act differently than they used to in Shanghai?
4. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
5. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)