|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date that Genevieve and Anna leave in order to make the trip to Los Angeles?
(a) January 4.
(b) January 13.
(c) January 25.
(d) January 24.
2. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
(c) Mei Wah.
(d) No one.
3. What does Anna's father say that he can leave her after he dies?
(a) His money.
(b) His journals.
(c) His legal issues.
(d) His clothing.
4. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
(b) Air Force.
5. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
(b) Money belt.
(d) Her necklace.
6. Joseph and the others at the camp are allowed to attend a __________ in the summer of 1943.
(d) Birthday party.
7. Who keeps telling Anna that things will get better, even as Anna doesn't make friends?
8. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
9. Allied nationals are allowed to withdraw the Chinese equivalent of ________ dollars each week.
10. What is the first career into which Joseph goes after he has graduated from college?
11. At what university were both of the parents in this story students when they first met?
12. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
(a) Real estate.
13. What does Anna get to drink on the morning of her seventh birthday?
(d) Hot cocoa.
14. Anna begins to learn how to do all of the things that the ________ used to do in Shanghai.
15. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
(a) Packs her bags.
(b) Divorces Joseph.
(c) Buys tickets.
Short Answer Questions
1. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
2. Joseph is moved to the ______ hotel, where he learns that all foreigner assets have been frozen, as well as bank accounts.
3. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
4. Where are Anna and her father supposed to meet their servant?
5. What city in China falls on July 28, 1937, according to the book's description?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)