|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
2. What does Anna find in the closet when she goes off to explore, bored with drawing maps?
(a) A bible.
(b) Japanese yen.
(c) United States dollars.
3. Anna begins to learn how to do all of the things that the ________ used to do in Shanghai.
4. The American Club becomes the Japanese _________ Headquarters, according to the story's details.
(b) Air Force.
5. Joseph is accused of witnessing a prisoner, _________, asking to have a letter smuggled out of the camp.
(a) Mei Wah.
(b) Joe Masters.
(c) Richard Fletcher.
(d) Will Masters.
6. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
(c) United States.
7. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) A poster.
(b) A summons to court.
(c) Decapitated head.
(d) A letter from Anna.
8. What language is Anna unable to read, according to this section of the story?
9. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
10. Where does Joseph end up moving to after he has closed up the home?
(a) American Club.
(b) His parents' house.
(c) The missionary.
(d) Internment camp.
11. Joseph predicts that the fighting in the city will only last a __________, and he doesn't appear to be concerned.
12. Even though Genevieve sometimes objects, Joseph often takes _________ out on his outings.
(a) Mei Wah.
(b) No one.
13. Where is Joseph taken after is is accused of witnessing the prisoner ask to have a letter smuggled out?
(a) Bridge House.
(c) Bridge Manor.
(d) A metal cage.
14. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
15. Though the family is wealthy, they only have ________ live-in servants, according to the story's description.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
2. Questioning means _________, as Joseph learns from a young journalist who he had helped bring into the camp.
3. Allied nationals are allowed to withdraw the Chinese equivalent of ________ dollars each week.
4. John Barrows decides to choose Joseph as his ___________, in order to watch over the other internees.
5. _________ troops are ordered to leave Shanghai in November of 1941, according to the story.
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)