|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the age of six, Anna knows enough about kidnappings to know that they have to __________.
(c) Make a trade.
(d) Be quiet.
2. On _________ mornings, Joseph takes Anna to the Foreign Correspondents Club.
3. What is the first career into which Joseph goes after he has graduated from college?
4. The only news that anyone receives when they are in the camp is the ________ Times and a Russian radio station.
5. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
(a) Make more money.
(b) Shut down his businesses.
(c) Say goodbye.
6. What does Joseph put into the safe before he and Anna leave to go shopping on the way home?
(b) Her necklace.
(d) Money belt.
7. At what university were both of the parents in this story students when they first met?
8. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) A letter from Anna.
(b) A summons to court.
(c) A poster.
(d) Decapitated head.
9. Joseph and the others at the camp are allowed to attend a __________ in the summer of 1943.
(a) Birthday party.
10. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
11. Joseph says that he can't make _________ by leaving Shanghai at this point in time.
12. What is the time of the new curfew, which is one of the biggest changes in the city, according to the book?
(a) 11:00 pm.
(b) 12:00 am.
(c) 9:00 pm.
(d) 10:00 pm.
13. Joseph is interned in the former United States __________ barrack on Haiphong Road.
(b) Air Force.
14. What is the first place Genevieve and Joseph live after they have graduated college?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
15. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
(b) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
2. What does Anna's father say that he can leave her after he dies?
3. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
4. What is the date that Genevieve and Anna leave in order to make the trip to Los Angeles?
5. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)