|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At this point of the story, Joseph becomes involved in the business of _________, including yen trading.
2. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
(a) Shut down his businesses.
(b) Say goodbye.
(c) Make more money.
3. What is the last name of the family that is featured in this story?
4. What do Genevieve and Anna notice when they are shopping in the city?
5. Joseph finds out that the bombings in the city had been a/an ____________.
(a) Good idea.
(b) Warning sign.
(c) Targeted attack.
6. Anna knows that she will ____________, which is why she doesn't pack up all of her books and toys.
(a) Not have room.
(b) Grow up quickly.
(c) Buy more.
(d) Be back.
7. What does Joseph tell Anna the gendarmes are looking for in the city?
(a) Her shoes.
(c) A piece of paper.
8. Anna begins to learn how to do all of the things that the ________ used to do in Shanghai.
9. Anna is enrolled in Oneonta _______ school when she arrives in Los Angeles during this point of the story.
10. Joseph finally decides to close down the house in the ________ of 1941 in order to meet up with his daughter and wife.
11. Anna and Joseph go to Hsin Hung Chong where he needs to take a picture for an ___________ claim.
12. What did Joseph's parents do when he was growing up as a child?
13. Joseph points out on the map that _________ is trying to take over China.
(c) United States.
14. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
(b) Hardy Boys.
(c) Judy Blume.
(d) Nancy Drew.
15. What does Genevieve do that causes them to make plans to move to Los Angeles?
(a) Packs her bags.
(b) Buys tickets.
(d) Divorces Joseph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joseph decide to hide all of his valuable papers and money? Under the __________.
2. Where does Anna decide to hide the yen note she finds on the floor?
3. What course does Genevieve enroll in so that she might find a job to support her family?
4. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
5. Joseph and the others at the camp are allowed to attend a __________ in the summer of 1943.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)