|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Questioning means _________, as Joseph learns from a young journalist who he had helped bring into the camp.
(d) An out.
2. In January, 1940, what do Joseph and Will Marsh find on the way to the theater?
(a) A summons to court.
(b) Decapitated head.
(c) A letter from Anna.
(d) A poster.
3. What is the birthday gift that Anna receives when she turns seven-years-old, just as she had wanted?
(a) A doll.
(d) A basket.
4. Anna begins to learn how to do all of the things that the ________ used to do in Shanghai.
5. Who keeps telling Anna that things will get better, even as Anna doesn't make friends?
6. What does Anna's father say that he can leave her after he dies?
(a) His journals.
(b) His legal issues.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His money.
7. Who becomes sick at night with a fever causing Joseph to apologize for the way that he behaved that day?
(a) Mei Wah.
(c) No one.
8. What is the name of the family's favorite eating place where Joseph takes Anna?
9. Which person in the family wants to leave Shanghai, though others do not want to leave?
(b) Mei Wah.
10. _________ troops are ordered to leave Shanghai in November of 1941, according to the story.
11. What does Joseph love above anything else, so much so that he teaches his daughter about it?
12. What is the last name of the family that is featured in this story?
13. Joseph tells Genevieve that he needs time to __________ before he can leave.
(a) Say goodbye.
(b) Make more money.
(c) Shut down his businesses.
14. When war is declared on August 7, ________ law is declared in the area and in the International Settlement.
15. Joseph has Anna draw maps of _________ while he is working at his office, during the story.
(c) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first career into which Joseph goes after he has graduated from college?
2. What series of books becomes Ann's favorite when she first discovers them?
3. What does Joseph begin to deal in when the new government takes over in Shanghai?
4. Joseph predicts that the fighting in the city will only last a __________, and he doesn't appear to be concerned.
5. What do Genevieve and Anna notice when they are shopping in the city?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)