|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli advise Captains to use new things at the time that he does?
(a) Because the enemy won't see them in camp.
(b) Because training is the best time to determine their use.
(c) To give courage to his enemies and take it from enemies.
(d) Because the new technology requires different tactics.
2. Who does Machiavelli credit with protecting Rome from the ambitions of the Tribunes?
(a) Appius Claudius.
(b) Claudius Lucius.
(c) Junius Claudius.
(d) Lucius Brutus.
3. What does Machiavelli identify as the cause of using dishonorable words against an enemy?
(a) Poor discipline in the army.
(b) Poor military tactics of the enemy.
(c) Corruption that leads to an enemy's defeat.
(d) False hopes brought by victory.
4. According to Machiavelli, if men have prospered greatly by one procedure, what is not possible?
(a) To undo their honor.
(b) To undo their success.
(c) To remove them from their position.
(d) To persuade them they can do well with other procedures.
5. What method of dealing with leaders of tumults that divide cities does Machiavelli favor?
(a) Dividing the City's wealth among the factions.
(b) Conscripting combatants into the military.
(c) Taking the women into slavery.
(d) Killing the leaders of tumults.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli identify as the difference between a Republic and the State (government) in how they can handle maladies?
2. In the comparison between the tactics of Scipio and Hannibal, what does Machiavelli consider to be praiseworthy?
3. What does Machiavelli predict comes to those Republics that are changed violently.
4. What does Machiavelli claim causes disunity in a Republic?
5. Why does Machiavelli admire Fabius Maximus for avoiding battles?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)