|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli advise to Princes who desire to take something from another Prince?
(a) To act quickly to force a quick decision on the other Prince.
(b) To take the Prince captive first but make no hasty decisions afterwards.
(c) To keep their plans a secret.
(d) To make sure that their generals know tactics of deception.
2. What does Machiavelli praise of the ancient Roman battlefield tactics?
(a) The ability of the three divisions to outman enemies and scare them from the battlefields.
(b) The fierceness of the soldiers to dictate the terms of every battle.
(c) The ability of the second and third divisions to absorb fallen lines ahead of them and proceed in battle.
(d) The ability of the first division to puncture enemy lines so the second and third divisions can over run the command centers.
3. According to Machiavelli, what is the sign of a truly powerful Republic?
(a) It can intimidate other Cities to become part of it without fighting battles.
(b) It does not take land or gain support with money, but through the virtue of its army and war.
(c) It has the wealth to buy other lands.
(d) It has the diplomatic skill to cajole the support of other Republics.
4. How many commanders does Machiavelli advise over an army?
(a) A tribunal.
(c) One for battle and one for negotiation.
(d) One for each division.
5. What phrase could summarize what Livius' details as qualifications for an effective Captain.
(a) His men hate his personality but love his tactics.
(b) He leads by deeds and not words.
(c) He earns animosity in training but trust in battle.
(d) His wisdom is established by his deceptions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What institution does Machiavelli cite in Chapter 46 as being responsible for producing men that are either "harsh or effeminate."
2. To whom did Machiavelli refer to demonstrate the value of poverty on the character of leadership?
3. What type of person does Machiavelli advise against promoting to important positions in a Republic?
4. How do weak men handle changes in fortune, according to Machiavelli?
5. Why does Machiavelli admire Fabius Maximus for avoiding battles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
2. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
3. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
4. What are two remedies that Machiavelli recommends in Book Three, section16 to prevent a City from becoming corrupted by periods of peace and wealth?
5. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
6. Why does Machiavelli consider sustaining an initial thrust of an enemy to be an effective strategy for winning a battle?
7. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
8. What does Machiavelli advise those who seek to change a Republic?
9. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
10. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)