|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli believe to be important to extending the life of what he calls "mixed bodies" (Republics and Sects)?
(a) Providing the means from the state to keep them secure.
(b) Staying in a continual state of war.
(c) Keeping turmoil alive between common masses.
(d) Returning to their original principles.
2. What are Machiavelli's two thoughts on fortresses?
(a) They are important for protection and wise for storing armaments.
(b) They are costly and hard to maintain.
(c) They are not necessary and harmful.
(d) They build confidence and demonstrate power.
3. What does Machiavelli consider the most useful possession for the defense of a Republic?
(a) Harsh Captains.
(b) A good army.
(c) Wise diplomats.
(d) Strong fortresses.
4. What does Machiavelli claim happens to great men in times of peace?
(a) They become neglected.
(b) They become tyrants.
(c) They become corrupted and evil.
(d) They retire and slip into obscurity.
5. Who does Machiavelli consider to have an advantage in battle?
(a) The largest army.
(b) The Artillery.
(c) The attacker.
(d) The Cavalry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do weak men handle changes in fortune, according to Machiavelli?
2. Why does Machiavelli believe that leaders of his time refuse to follow the examples of dealing with tumults set by leaders of ancient times.
3. What does Machiavelli consider to be a great sign of weakness in Republic?
4. What does Machiavelli advise Princes in observing promises made under force?
5. What is Machiavelli's preferred military department?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
2. What does Machiavelli believe is the consequence of insulting anyone with words?
3. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
4. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
5. Why does Machiavelli claim that the Senate and Plebes rose up to take control of Rome from Tarquinius Superbus ?
6. Why does Machiavelli consider saving an army from attack to be an effective method for defending a country?
7. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
8. Why does Machiavelli devote his longest section of "The Discourses" to discussing conspiracy?
9. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
10. What does Machiavelli consider to be the purpose of expanding an Empire and why must a Prince be well organized in expanding it properly?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)