|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Machiavelli considered many times to be the causes of good and bad fortunes to men?
(a) Enemies knowing their plans.
(b) Their choice of friends.
(c) Their manner of proceeding with the times.
(d) Decisions for military tactics.
2. What is the reason Machiavelli claims Princes with weaker armies would rush into battle?
(a) Such Princes face no alternative.
(b) Because a long war would be harmful to all his subjects.
(c) Because their judgment was hindered by the situation.
(d) Such Princes are deluded over their power.
3. How does Machiavelli advise a Captain to consider a tactical error by an enemy?
(a) The time to draw the enemy into the open.
(b) The time to strike with all strength.
(c) Good fortune as it foretells victory.
(d) Cautiously as it is probably a deception.
4. What does Machiavelli identify as the difference between a Republic and the State (government) in how they can handle maladies?
(a) A Republic uses its freedom, but a state uses its laws.
(b) A Republic appoints a bureaucracy, but a state goes to war.
(c) A Republic counts on the wisdom of its Plebes, but a State uses the wealth of its Nobles.
(d) A Republic has time to correct maladies, but a State does not.
5. What are the two ways that Machiavelli claims that envy can be extinguished?
(a) Through war and crisis.
(b) Through friendship and common wealth.
(c) Through life threatening disaster or through the death of rivals.
(d) Through conspiracy and corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Machiavelli advise Captains to try new things?
2. What does Machiavelli claim causes disunity in a Republic?
3. What does Machiavelli claim happens to great men in times of peace?
4. What does Machiavelli consider one of the most important reasons the Roman Empire was successful in expanding its borders?
5. What does Machiavelli consider to be necessary when restoring a Republic from a Tyranny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
2. Why doesn't Machiavelli expect promises made under force to be kept?
3. Why does Machiavelli warn Princes from using auxiliary soldiers from another Prince?
4. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
5. What does Machiavelli consider to be the purpose of expanding an Empire and why must a Prince be well organized in expanding it properly?
6. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
7. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
8. Why does Machiavelli consider saving an army from attack to be an effective method for defending a country?
9. What does Machiavelli write of in Book Three, Section 14 when he reviews, "...new inventions and new voices...," and why does he recommend these to be used in the heat of battle?
10. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)