|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What often happens to Captains who see a tactical error committed by their enemies?
(a) They are blinded by the desire for victory.
(b) They take the steps to assure victory.
(c) They move into passes and ambush the enemy.
(d) They are overly cautious and bring defeat.
2. To whom did Machiavelli refer to demonstrate the value of poverty on the character of leadership?
3. What type of person does Machiavelli advise against promoting to important positions in a Republic?
(a) Anyone who has avoided war.
(b) Anyone who is ambitious.
(c) Anyone who has killed a rival.
(d) Anyone who has been done a notable injury by someone.
4. Who does Machiavelli consider to have an advantage in battle?
(a) The Cavalry.
(b) The Artillery.
(c) The largest army.
(d) The attacker.
5. How did Phillip of Macedonia avoid battles with Fabius Maximus?
(a) By disassmbling and going home.
(b) By making an alliance with the Samnites.
(c) By moving his soldiers into provinces that Fabius had just left.
(d) By staying in a fort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against whom are conspiracies made?
2. On what does Machiavelli believe a Republic must be organized?
3. What is the proverb that Machiavelli reports the Samnites used on the Tuscans to encourage them to make war on the Roman Empire?
4. What institution does Machiavelli cite in Chapter 46 as being responsible for producing men that are either "harsh or effeminate."
5. What are the two causes that will bring a corrupted Republic to take the important step of extending its life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
2. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
3. Why does Machiavelli warn Princes from using auxiliary soldiers from another Prince?
4. Why does Machiavelli claim that the Senate and Plebes rose up to take control of Rome from Tarquinius Superbus ?
5. What is the advice that Machiavelli gives to Princes who take possessions from another Prince?
6. What does Machiavelli advise those who seek to change a Republic?
7. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
8. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
9. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
10. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)