|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli claim to be the cause of Princes losing inherited power?
(c) Their rejection of laws and ancient institutions.
(d) Indifference to their Principality.
2. What is Machiavelli's preferred military department?
(a) The Navy
(b) The Cavalry.
(c) The infantry (foot soldier).
(d) The Artillery.
3. Of what is Machiavelli critical regarding the military tactics of his day?
(a) They do not employ Cavalry to its fullest potential.
(b) That they do not employ the tactics of ancient Rome.
(c) They avoid frontal assault.
(d) They rely on Artillery too much.
4. According to Machiavelli, if men have prospered greatly by one procedure, what is not possible?
(a) To undo their success.
(b) To remove them from their position.
(c) To undo their honor.
(d) To persuade them they can do well with other procedures.
5. Who does Machiavelli credit with protecting Rome from the ambitions of the Tribunes?
(a) Claudius Lucius.
(b) Lucius Brutus.
(c) Appius Claudius.
(d) Junius Claudius.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 3, Section 25, what does Machiavelli repeat to be the most useful thing to establish in a Republic?
2. Why does Machiavelli admire Fabius Maximus for avoiding battles?
3. What opportunities come to Princes who take Machiavelli's advice in acting to take something from another Prince.
4. What does Machiavelli advise to Princes who desire to take something from another Prince?
5. What finally forced Phillip into battle with Fabius, according to Machiavelli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did "Captains of Fortune" favor cavalry over infantry?
2. What does Machiavelli consider to be the purpose of expanding an Empire and why must a Prince be well organized in expanding it properly?
3. What are two remedies that Machiavelli recommends in Book Three, section16 to prevent a City from becoming corrupted by periods of peace and wealth?
4. What does Machiavelli write of in Book Three, Section 14 when he reviews, "...new inventions and new voices...," and why does he recommend these to be used in the heat of battle?
5. Why doesn't Machiavelli expect promises made under force to be kept?
6. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
7. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
8. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
9. Why does Machiavelli claim that the Senate and Plebes rose up to take control of Rome from Tarquinius Superbus ?
10. Why would there be much bloodshed in the cases that a Republic moves violently from tyranny to freedom?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)