|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Machiavelli refer to demonstrate the value of poverty on the character of leadership?
2. Why does Machiavelli believe the Roman Republic grew?
(a) Because of the wisdom of its Magistrates.
(b) Because of the strength of its Captains.
(c) Because of the virtue of its soldiers.
(d) Because of the money of its Nobles.
3. Why does Machiavelli advise Captains to use new things at the time that he does?
(a) Because training is the best time to determine their use.
(b) Because the enemy won't see them in camp.
(c) To give courage to his enemies and take it from enemies.
(d) Because the new technology requires different tactics.
4. In the comparison between the tactics of Scipio and Hannibal, what does Machiavelli consider to be praiseworthy?
(a) New uses of artillery.
(d) Feigned foolishness.
5. What are the two ways that Machiavelli claims that envy can be extinguished?
(a) Through life threatening disaster or through the death of rivals.
(b) Through friendship and common wealth.
(c) Through war and crisis.
(d) Through conspiracy and corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two things that Machiavelli cites as the causes of the dissolution of the Roman Republic?
2. According to Machiavelli, what is the sign of a truly powerful Republic?
3. Why does Machiavelli admire Fabius Maximus for avoiding battles?
4. How does Machiavelli advise a Captain to consider a tactical error by an enemy?
5. How many commanders does Machiavelli advise over an army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli believe is the consequence of insulting anyone with words?
2. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
3. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
4. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
5. What are two reasons that Machiavelli claims men have a hard time changing with the times?
6. Why does Machiavelli consider towns more difficult to conquer after the Citizens have been in rebellion?
7. Why does Machiavelli consider saving an army from attack to be an effective method for defending a country?
8. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
9. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
10. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)