|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli credit with protecting Rome from the ambitions of the Tribunes?
(a) Claudius Lucius.
(b) Lucius Brutus.
(c) Junius Claudius.
(d) Appius Claudius.
2. What does Machiavelli predict comes to those Republics that are changed violently.
(a) Peace will come when the leaders are destroyed.
(b) Injury will come to many.
(c) Treaties will be made and order restored.
(d) A stronger Republic will take control over it.
3. To whom did Machiavelli refer to demonstrate the value of poverty on the character of leadership?
4. What does Machiavelli claim happens to great men in times of peace?
(a) They retire and slip into obscurity.
(b) They become corrupted and evil.
(c) They become neglected.
(d) They become tyrants.
5. What are the two things that Machiavelli cites as the causes of the dissolution of the Roman Republic?
(a) Contentions that arose from the Agrarian law and the prolongation of military commands.
(b) Sloth and leisure.
(c) Inflation of the currency and bureaucracy.
(d) Defiance of laws by Nobles and corruption of Plebs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 3, Section 1, what does Machiavelli declare to be, "...a most true thing...."
2. What does Machiavelli claim causes men to conspire against their target?
3. What is the proverb that Machiavelli reports the Samnites used on the Tuscans to encourage them to make war on the Roman Empire?
4. What does Machiavelli praise of the ancient Roman battlefield tactics?
5. What did Livius' history of Rome identify as the three divisions of the Roman army?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)