|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were placed to the right and the left of every battle line of the Roman army?
(d) The cavalry.
2. What is the reason Machiavelli claims Princes with weaker armies would rush into battle?
(a) Because a long war would be harmful to all his subjects.
(b) Such Princes face no alternative.
(c) Such Princes are deluded over their power.
(d) Because their judgment was hindered by the situation.
3. What are the two causes that will bring a corrupted Republic to take the important step of extending its life?
(a) Wisdom and knowledge.
(b) Religion and industry.
(c) Intrinsic and extrinsic.
(d) Revolution and overthrow.
4. What does Machiavelli identify as the three divisions of armies of his day?
(a) Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery.
(b) Vanguard, Battle Corps, and Rearguard.
(c) Cavalry, Vanguard, and Artillery.
(d) Battle Corps, Navy, and Ordinance.
5. What does Machiavelli believe is the only consideration to be made when the defense of a country is at stake?
(a) That the life of the country is safe and its liberty is maintained.
(b) To hide inside the City or escape to the open field.
(c) To live free or die.
(d) To avoid combat or strike immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What institution does Machiavelli cite in Chapter 46 as being responsible for producing men that are either "harsh or effeminate."
2. What does Machiavelli cite as Aristotle's three causes of ruin women bring on tyrants.
3. What did Roman historian Livius call Necessity?
4. What does Machiavelli predict comes to those Republics that are changed violently.
5. In Book 3, Section 1, what does Machiavelli declare to be, "...a most true thing...."
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)