|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli write will prevent a bad Citizen from working evil in a Republic?
(a) The government taking steps to temporize the bad Citizen.
(b) Conspiracy against the bad Citizen.
(c) General disregard for their reputation.
(d) The absence of corruption.
2. In the comparison between the tactics of Scipio and Hannibal, what does Machiavelli consider to be praiseworthy?
(b) New uses of artillery.
(c) Feigned foolishness.
3. According to Machiavelli, what prevented the ambitions of the Nobles from corrupting Rome?
(a) Social ostracism by the Senate.
(b) The expanded Empire required that they move to colonies to lead them.
(c) The power of the Tribunes and the Plebes.
(d) Wars drained their wealth.
4. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three ways to restore a divided city?
(a) Dividing the city's wealth among the factions, sending them to colonies, conscripting them to the military.
(b) Build a wall between the combatants, place soldiers between their neighborhoods, and prevent them from passing among each other.
(c) Kill the leaders, conscript the men to the military, take the women into slavery.
(d) Kill the leaders of tumults, remove them from the city, or have them make peace.
5. What does Machiavelli claim causes men to conspire against their target?
(a) The desire to liberate a country occupied by the Prince.
(b) The desire to take power over the military.
(c) The desire to take control of the Senate
(d) The desire to manipulate the general masses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of men are frowned upon in corrupt Republics?
2. What is Machiavelli's preferred military department?
3. What are the two things that give an army confidence according to Machiavelli?
4. According to Machiavelli, what is the sign of a truly powerful Republic?
5. What has Machiavelli considered many times to be the causes of good and bad fortunes to men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
2. Why does Machiavelli warn Princes from using auxiliary soldiers from another Prince?
3. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
4. Why does Machiavelli consider saving an army from attack to be an effective method for defending a country?
5. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
6. Why does Machiavelli devote his longest section of "The Discourses" to discussing conspiracy?
7. What is the advice that Machiavelli gives to Princes who take possessions from another Prince?
8. What are two remedies that Machiavelli recommends in Book Three, section16 to prevent a City from becoming corrupted by periods of peace and wealth?
9. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
10. What does Machiavelli consider to be the purpose of expanding an Empire and why must a Prince be well organized in expanding it properly?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)