|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book Three, The Examples of Rome's Great Men, Sundry Remarks on Strategy, Tactics, New Devices and Discipline, Administrative Posts, Administrative Methods: The Rival Claims of Severity and Good Fellowship.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli admire Fabius Maximus for avoiding battles?
(a) Because he waited until the time for battle was in his favor.
(b) Because it gave the Senate time to negotiate a treaty.
(c) Because his soldiers were unqualified for battle.
(d) Because he did not have a sufficient number of soldiers.
2. What does Machiavelli claim new sects (religions) do as they rise to prominence?
(a) Destroy all the signs, including language, of the old sects they come to dominate.
(b) Influence the culture to defy the Prince.
(c) Cause Citizens to avoid fighting in wars.
(d) Influence Citizens to be obedient to the Prince.
3. What did Livius' history of Rome identify as the three divisions of the Roman army?
(a) Principi, Infantry, and Navy.
(b) .Triari, Navy, and Ordinance.
(c) Astati, Principi, and Triari.
(d) Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery.
4. What historical records did Machiavelli use to support his point for keeping two important items out of peril?
(a) Historical records of Rome and France.
(b) Historical records of Tullus and Metius.
(c) Historical records of military tactics.
(d) Historical records of Hannibal and England.
5. Reviewing earlier chapters of "The Discourses", why would Machiavelli consider long wars in foreign lands important?
(a) Because Machiavelli considers fighting wars and building empires to be signs of virtuous leaders.
(b) Because long wars assures that poverty will be maintained for everyone in the Republic.
(c) Because Machiavelli suggested long wars helped to keep Republics united.
(d) Because long wars give Nobles an opportunity for Nobles to encourage Plebes to perform glorious works for the Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Machiavelli, what caused the Roman Republic to form?
2. What are the five types of government identified by Machiavelli?
3. Why does Machiavelli suggest wars should be quick with limited damage to the conquered City?
4. What did Machiavelli identify as the cause of conspiracy against a hereditary Princes?
5. Who does Machiavelli credit with protecting Rome from the ambitions of the Tribunes?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)