|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book Three, The Examples of Rome's Great Men, Sundry Remarks on Strategy, Tactics, New Devices and Discipline, Administrative Posts, Administrative Methods: The Rival Claims of Severity and Good Fellowship.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Crescit interea Roma Albae ruinis" mean?
(a) Rome and Alba ruined Crete's industry.
(b) Rome grew on the ruins of Alba .
(c) The Roman interrogations ruined Albanian Fertile Crescent.
(d) Creative Romans will bring ruins to Alba.
2. How does Machiavelli suggest that a man with power should present himself to a city in turmoil?
(a) "...(W)ith as much grace and as honorably as he can, attiring himself with the insignia of his rank which he holds in order to make himself more revered."
(b) "The man of power should present himself with cold ruthlessness and avoid any show of sentimentality."
(c) "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness."
(d) "Beauty is power; a smile is its sword."
3. What finally forced Phillip into battle with Fabius, according to Machiavelli?
(a) The prolonged war worsened his condition and that of his subjects.
(b) The Samnites fell victim to the Trojans.
(c) He was laid siege in his fort.
(d) He was chased to his home and had to put a call out to his soldiers.
4. In Book 3, Section 1, what does Machiavelli declare to be, "...a most true thing...."
(a) That, "...regardless, all who rise suddenly will fall with the same rapidity."
(b) That, "...all will face death and taxes."
(c) That, "...the only thing we learn from history is we do not learn from history."
(d) That, "...all the things of the world have to have an ending to their existence."
5. What was the inspiration for Machiavelli's "The Discourses"?
(a) Machiavelli's interest in forms of government.
(b) Machiavelli's desire to guide politicians to serve the public needs.
(c) Machiavelli's fascination for power.
(d) Livy's account of the history of Rome written around 25 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest as the intention to make war?
2. According to Machiavelli, what was one negative consequence of the Roman Senate's decision to pay soldiers out of public money?
3. What does Machiavelli consider to be the worst example to be provided by leaders in a Republic?
4. Why does Machiavelli suggest wars should be quick with limited damage to the conquered City?
5. What did Machiavelli identify as the cause of conspiracy against a hereditary Princes?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)