|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, The Development of Rome's Constitution, The Popular Demand for a Share in Government, The Management of the Populace, The Advantages of Popular Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Machiavelli report led gatherings of people to make laws?
(a) So resources could be justly distributed.
(b) To set order to the defense of the city.
(c) To avoid evils that people committed on others.
(d) To protect economic activity that benefited the city.
2. Reviewing earlier chapters of "The Discourses", why would Machiavelli consider long wars in foreign lands important?
(a) Because Machiavelli suggested long wars helped to keep Republics united.
(b) Because Machiavelli considers fighting wars and building empires to be signs of virtuous leaders.
(c) Because long wars give Nobles an opportunity for Nobles to encourage Plebes to perform glorious works for the Republic.
(d) Because long wars assures that poverty will be maintained for everyone in the Republic.
3. According to Machiavelli, what caused the Roman Republic to form?
(a) Class warfare between the patricians and the plebes.
(b) Economic agreements between fertile cities.
(c) Political rivalries between powerful generals.
(d) Trade agreements between cities with resources and cities with technologies.
4. What does Machiavelli believe to the nature of men that causes them to either fight from ambition or from necessity?
(a) Men that choose to fight always fight for the glory of the City.
(b) They are able to desire everything but are not able to attain everything.
(c) Men that choose to fight always fight for personal benefit.
(d) They fight so they can have the power to deliver liberty to themselves and the City.
5. Why does Machiavelli recommend that those who want to reform a city should retain the appearance of the institutions they want to reform?
(a) Because keeping the appearance of those institutions helps to keep important advisers within the circle of government.
(b) Because the general masses are satisfied with appearances and are moved by things as they appear rather than by the way they operate (perception is reality).
(c) Because keeping the appearance of those institutions helps to hide the true agenda of the Prince.
(d) Because keeping the appearance of those institutions assures a smooth transition of power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the inspiration for Machiavelli's "The Discourses"?
2. How does Machiavelli predict a citizen will conduct himself if he is not punished for his misdeeds because of his reputation for doing good deeds, according to Machiavelli.
3. What were the reasons that Machiavelli cited for the Roman Senate choosing to pay a public stipend to fighting men (soldiers)?
4. Who were the Decemvirs?
5. According to Machiavelli, what was one negative consequence of the Roman Senate's decision to pay soldiers out of public money?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)