|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, The Development of Rome's Constitution, Sundry Reflections on the Kings of Rome, The Introduction of New Forms of Government, Ingratitude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Machiavelli establish as the cycle of governing forms?
(a) Democracy to republic go aristocracy to oligarchy to anarchy to democracy.
(b) Monarchy (principality) to aristocracy to oligarchy to democracy to monarchy.
(c) Anarchy to democracy to oligarchy to monarchy to anarchy.
(d) Aristocracy to republic to oligarchy to monarchy to aristocracy.
2. What does Machiavelli claim causes ingratitude from a conquered citizenry?
(a) When the conquerors remove freedoms that the citizens knew before being conquered.
(b) Treating conquered citizens harshly.
(c) Taking conquered citizens into slavery.
(d) Taking the property of conquered citizens.
3. According to Machiavelli in Section 1 of Book One, who are the two types of people who build cities?
(a) Craftsmen and politicians.
(b) Princes and generals.
(c) Men born in their location or foreigners.
(d) Farmers and merchants.
4. What are the five types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) Democracy, anarchy, monarchy, constitutional, and institutional.
(b) Republic, fascistic, democracy, principality, and oligarchy.
(c) Tyranny, constitutional, military oligarchy, principality, and democracy.
(d) Monarchy, aristocracy, democracy, oligarchy, and anarchy.
5. What are three reasons that Machiavelli gives for cities becoming unhappy?
(a) When cities are compelled to reorganize laws by themselves, when the laws diverge from their established institutions, and when the laws lead cities from the right path.
(b) When taxes drain Plebes of their wages, when resources are not allocated equitably, and when Princes seek to expand their influence with wars.
(c) When cities face armed challenges from outside institutions, the courts do not act justly, and when leaders abuse their power.
(d) When leaders drain resources to fight wars, when laws become tools for Princes to become more wealthy, when there is taxation without representation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Machiavelli suggest is the advantage of settling in areas that were "sterile" (barren)?
2. What are reasons Machiavelli cited for a group of people leaving their native country to seek a new home?
3. What do fertile areas offer to those who settle there according to Machiavelli?
4. What historical records did Machiavelli use to support his point for keeping two important items out of peril?
5. What does Machiavelli consider prudence in a Prince or a King?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)