|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book Three, The Examples of Rome's Great Men, Sundry Remarks on Strategy, Tactics, New Devices and Discipline, Administrative Posts, Administrative Methods: The Rival Claims of Severity and Good Fellowship.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli claim happens to great men in times of peace?
(a) They become corrupted and evil.
(b) They become tyrants.
(c) They become neglected.
(d) They retire and slip into obscurity.
2. What is another method that Machiavelli reports leaders use to offend their citizens?
(a) Refusing to provide sufficient education for the youth.
(b) Persisting in acts that are considered offensive to citizens.
(c) Refusing to provide wealth to the general masses.
(d) Persisting in harsh punishments for misdemeanors.
3. What finally forced Phillip into battle with Fabius, according to Machiavelli?
(a) The prolonged war worsened his condition and that of his subjects.
(b) He was laid siege in his fort.
(c) The Samnites fell victim to the Trojans.
(d) He was chased to his home and had to put a call out to his soldiers.
4. What was a rival Empire to Rome as Rome began its expansion?
(a) The Egyptians.
(b) The Babylonians.
(c) The Spartans.
(d) The Carthaginians.
5. What does Machiavelli consider to be the means of someone rising from the bottom to gain a great fortune?
(a) Hard work and creativity.
(b) Diligence and humility.
(c) Force and fraud.
(d) Deceit and self preservation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Machiavelli claims Princes with weaker armies would rush into battle?
2. What is Machiavelli's explanation for initiating his recommended approach with enemies against an empire?
3. According to Machiavelli, how did the Agrarian Laws violate the foundation of well-ordered Republics?
4. Why does Machiavelli consider it impossible to establish a perpetual Republic?
5. How does Machiavelli suggest that Princes and other leaders deal with acts that offend their citizens?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)