|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What figures share a splattered arm, on the front-side and back-side of a single page?
2. What is the last image in Frida's diary?
3. What did Frida label an image of a pigeon sitting atop a partially human body?
4. Where does Frida describe meeting an imaginary friend?
5. In an image labeled "Dog," where does Frida place the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do arrows denote in Frida's only nude, full-length self-portrait?
2. What image does Frida create with the word "sleep"?
3. How does Frida describe her early life in her "Outline of my life"?
4. What interest does Frida show in art technique and tradition?
5. How does Frida remember Isabel Villasenor?
6. What does Frida write about Stalin?
7. What does Frida write about her leg?
8. What doctor does Frida make reference to?
9. Frida uses the signature Sadja. What does this mean?
10. How does Frida place herself in a pre-Columbian setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lowe writes that Frida's self-portraits could express universal emotion. She may be referring to Frida's more formal paintings. In what way do the images in Frida's Diary support or negate this point? Should these be considered art? Are they what Fuentes would call "good art"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah M. Lowe writes that the Diary documents Frida's physical decline. Do you agree or disagree? What evidence can you find in the Diary itself? What other trends can we see in the Diary entries over time?
Essay Topic 3
Fuentes writes that Frida is intimately linked with Mexican history. He compares her physical pain to Mexico's "bloody" traumas. He also writes that she was born with the Revolution and "both mirrors and transcends the central event of twentieth-century Mexico." What evidence does Fuentes offer to support this statement? Is there any evidence of this in the Diary itself, or the pages that Frida created? Do you agree or disagree with Fuentes' statement? Why?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)