|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the central image in a page labeled "I love Diego"?
2. Which of the following does Frida mention multiple times in the Diary?
3. What does Frida write is the most precious thing?
4. Which of the following are among Frida's interests mentioned in the Diary?
5. In an image labeled "Dog," where does Frida place the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frida describe life after her leg is amputated?
2. How does Frida categorize her art?
3. What doctor does Frida make reference to?
4. How does Frida remember Isabel Villasenor?
5. Frida creates a winged figure, and writes about Diego. What does she write about Diego in this entry?
6. What image does Frida create with the word "sleep"?
7. What does Frida pair with Communist symbols?
8. In what image does Frida draw a pigeon?
9. What does Frida write about her leg?
10. What childhood memory does Frida describe, and could be seen as the origins of The Two Fridas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For Carlos Fuentes, Frida has three principal external sources -- her father, Guillermo Kahlo, and his photographic work, Mexican retablos, and the work of Jose Guadalupe Posadas. While these are important sources, he writes "she is capable of coming back to her original sources and transforming them." Which of these influences do you believe are the most important in her work? What influences can you find in the pages that she created in her own diary?
Essay Topic 2
How does Kahlo's early interest in physiology and biology affect her art? What does Lowe write is her most common biological and botanical metaphor? How do you see this used throughout the Diary?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of Kahlo's diary, Lowe notes "Kahlo pairs a powerful modern political system -- Communism -- with an ancient, longer-lived regime -- the Aztec empire." In what other ways does she use pre-Columbian words and imagery? What overall effect does this have on her work? How does it effect her identity?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)