|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frida paint as burning?
2. Who did Frida give a painting to that she dated November 7, 1946?
3. Where does Frida sit in an image of her holding Diego Rivera as her child?
4. Who does Frida write "lulls her to sleep"?
5. What violent event does Frida recall from her childhood in an entry that describes her early life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frida uses the signature Sadja. What does this mean?
2. What does Frida write about Stalin?
3. What significance does the number 379 have to Frida?
4. How does Frida place herself in a pre-Columbian setting?
5. What doctor does Frida make reference to?
6. What does Frida write about the painter Hieronymus Bosh?
7. What image does Lowe write that Frida paints from "a worm's-eye view"?
8. How does Frida describe Communism and its leaders?
9. What does Frida pair with Communist symbols?
10. What image does Frida create with the word "sleep"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lowe compares the reception of Frida's self-portraits (sometimes thought "excessively personal and self-referential") to those of Rembrant and VanGogh (who, she claims, express sentiments "considered applicable to all of 'mankind'"). Explain whether or not you believe that Frida's artistic expression is something that could be universally understood.
Essay Topic 2
Frida creates a two page entry in memory of her poet friend Isabel "Chabela" Villasenor, who died shortly before she created them. She also created her own kind of free-association poems. How would you describe Frida's use of poetry? Is there a relationship between her poems and her art?
Essay Topic 3
According to the Introductions by Fuentes and Lowe, Frida and Diego's relationship was complex. They both had affairs. They divorced. They remarried. Is there any evidence in Frida's own writing that the relationship was less than ideal? What evidence does she offer about her married life? How do you believe that this shaped her life and her art?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)