|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signature does Frida use several times in the Diary?
2. Where does Frida sit in an image of her holding Diego Rivera as her child?
3. What film does Isabel Villasenor participate in?
4. What does Frida signal in an image in which arrows point at her naked body?
5. Frida creates two images of death. One includes roots that above ground turn to flames. Which of the following best describes the mood of the image?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frida write about the painter Hieronymus Bosh?
2. What does Frida write about her leg?
3. What doctor does Frida make reference to?
4. What significance does the number 379 have to Frida?
5. What image does Frida create with the word "sleep"?
6. What interest does Frida show in art technique and tradition?
7. How does Frida describe life after her leg is amputated?
8. What does Frida pair with Communist symbols?
9. How does Frida alter an erotic photo of a woman?
10. How does Frida categorize her art?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lowe writes that Frida's self-portraits could express universal emotion. She may be referring to Frida's more formal paintings. In what way do the images in Frida's Diary support or negate this point? Should these be considered art? Are they what Fuentes would call "good art"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Fuentes writes that Frida conceives of "beauty as truth and self-knowledge. as becoming -- devenir -- [which] requires unblinking courage and is Kahlo's great legacy to the marginal, the invisible men and women of an increasingly faceless, anonymous planet..." Do you agree or disagree with this statement? How do you believe that Frida understands beauty? What evidence can you find for this in Sarah M. Lowe's introduction? What can you find in Frida's own writing?
Essay Topic 3
According to the Introductions by Fuentes and Lowe, Frida and Diego's relationship was complex. They both had affairs. They divorced. They remarried. Is there any evidence in Frida's own writing that the relationship was less than ideal? What evidence does she offer about her married life? How do you believe that this shaped her life and her art?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)