|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Frida label an image of a pigeon sitting atop a partially human body?
2. Which of the following best describes Kahlo's relationship with artist Hieronymus Bosh?
3. What is the "golden section," which Frida writes of as the "seccion de oro"?
4. What figures share a splattered arm, on the front-side and back-side of a single page?
5. Who does Frida write "lulls her to sleep"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What childhood memory does Frida describe, and could be seen as the origins of The Two Fridas?
2. What image does Frida create with the word "sleep"?
3. How does Frida describe the United States and England?
4. How does Frida depict skeletons?
5. How does Frida alter an erotic photo of a woman?
6. How does Frida categorize her art?
7. How does Frida remember Isabel Villasenor?
8. What does Frida write about the painter Hieronymus Bosh?
9. What is the Eyesaurus.
10. How does Frida describe her early life in her "Outline of my life"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fuentes notes that Andre Breton stipulated a great number of "rules" that Surrealists needed to follow, but argues that the sense of magic and surprise that he was after exists naturally in Mexico and Latin America. Sarah M. Lowe writes that Frida did not feel strongly aligned with this movement. Would you categorize Frida's work as Surrealist? What evidence can you find in the Diary to explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Frida combines her face with Diego's face. She adds wings to the human body. In what other ways does Frida demonstrate an interest in hybrid forms?
Essay Topic 3
How does Kahlo's early interest in physiology and biology affect her art? What does Lowe write is her most common biological and botanical metaphor? How do you see this used throughout the Diary?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)