|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Kahlo's relationship with Lamba?
2. How does Lowe describe the act of reading Kahlo's diary?
3. What aspect of Rembrandt and Van Gogh's work does Lowe compare to Kahlo's?
4. Who is Xipe Totec?
5. What exercise does Frida do with colored pencils in the Diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fuentes compare the work of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo?
2. Describe Frida's appearance, and the importance of her appearance, to Carlos Fuentes.
3. What device does Lowe claim that Frida frequently uses? (She uses this for human forms, roots, and other organic figures.)
4. Why does Frida claim she was born in 1910?
5. How does Fuentes characterize foreign invasions of Mexico?
6. How does Lowe describe Frida's relationship with Surrealism?
7. What figures are included in Frida's "connect-the-dot" drawing?
8. What characterized Frida's "poetry"?
9. How did Kahlo's experiences in the U.S. shape her artistic career?
10. How does Frida begin her diary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fuentes writes that Frida is intimately linked with Mexican history. He compares her physical pain to Mexico's "bloody" traumas. He also writes that she was born with the Revolution and "both mirrors and transcends the central event of twentieth-century Mexico." What evidence does Fuentes offer to support this statement? Is there any evidence of this in the Diary itself, or the pages that Frida created? Do you agree or disagree with Fuentes' statement? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Frida creates a two page entry in memory of her poet friend Isabel "Chabela" Villasenor, who died shortly before she created them. She also created her own kind of free-association poems. How would you describe Frida's use of poetry? Is there a relationship between her poems and her art?
Essay Topic 3
Images of Diego Rivera and letters to him are included in the Diary. How would you characterize his inclusion in the Diary? How would you describe his relationship with Frida based on Frida's entries? How would you describe their relationship based on Fuentes' and Lowe's writings?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)