|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What civilizations does Lowe wright were part of Kahlo's understanding of her "personal past"?
2. Where does Lowe write that Frida's work was first taken seriously (where she "made a decisive shift from amateur to professional painter")?
3. Which of the following best describes the connection between entries in Frida's diary.
4. How does Lowe describe the act of reading Kahlo's diary?
5. How long does Lowe write that Frida kept this Diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kahlo connect to ink, and why does Lowe write that this is illuminating "with respect to her own creativity"?
2. How does Lowe describe Frida's relationship with Surrealism?
3. In what ways does Fuentes describe Mexico City of Frida's time as different from Mexico City today?
4. What characterized Frida's "poetry"?
5. In what ways does Fuentes write that Kahlo mirrors the Revolution in her art?
6. What is in the image that Frida labels "The Phenomenon Unforseen"?
7. What figures are included in Frida's "connect-the-dot" drawing?
8. In Frida's first string of words, which one is the one that Lowe singles out as the only word with a specific reference?
9. Frida labels an image "I am DISINTEGRATION." What is happening in that image?
10. How does Fuentes compare the work of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah M. Lowe writes that the Diary documents Frida's physical decline. Do you agree or disagree? What evidence can you find in the Diary itself? What other trends can we see in the Diary entries over time?
Essay Topic 2
Frida creates a two page entry in memory of her poet friend Isabel "Chabela" Villasenor, who died shortly before she created them. She also created her own kind of free-association poems. How would you describe Frida's use of poetry? Is there a relationship between her poems and her art?
Essay Topic 3
After Frida's death, her fame grew immensely. Can you identify any of the reasons for her popularity in the Diary itself?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)