|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Frida's health declined, what does Lowe claim she painted more and more of?
2. What is a retablo?
3. Which of the following best describes the connection between entries in Frida's diary.
4. What figures can be found in the image that Frida labeled "Naturaleza bien muerta"?
5. How does Lowe claim Frida creates many of the dedications in the Diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frida's appearance, and the importance of her appearance, to Carlos Fuentes.
2. How does Lowe describe Frida's relationship with Surrealism?
3. How does Sarah M. Lowe describe Frida's intentions in creating her Diary? Given Frida's intentions, how does she understand the "act" of reading the Diary?
4. In what ways does Fuentes describe Mexico City of Frida's time as different from Mexico City today?
5. What is automatic drawing?
6. How does Frida begin her diary?
7. What does Frida write about giving birth?
8. Why does Frida claim she was born in 1910?
9. What is in the image that Frida labels "The Phenomenon Unforseen"?
10. How does Lowe describe Frida's planning process for the images in the Diary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fuentes notes the trauma that losing territory to the U.S. caused Mexico. He also writes of censorship imposed on Mexican artists (Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Jose Clemente Orozco) working in the U.S. What is the overall impression of the relationship between the U.S. and Mexico created in Fuente's introduction?
Essay Topic 2
Images of Diego Rivera and letters to him are included in the Diary. How would you characterize his inclusion in the Diary? How would you describe his relationship with Frida based on Frida's entries? How would you describe their relationship based on Fuentes' and Lowe's writings?
Essay Topic 3
Frida creates a two page entry in memory of her poet friend Isabel "Chabela" Villasenor, who died shortly before she created them. She also created her own kind of free-association poems. How would you describe Frida's use of poetry? Is there a relationship between her poems and her art?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)