|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frida place in an icy landscape?
(a) An "arctic bird."
(b) A foot.
(c) A dead fish.
(d) "An out-of-place plate of tropica fruits."
2. What does Lowe write happened in Kahlo's life just before beginning the Diary?
(a) Her father died.
(b) Diego had an affair with her aunt.
(c) Her foot was amputated.
(d) Her house burned down.
3. What line of work was Frida's father in?
4. What does Kahlo liken to ink?
5. What does Lowe claim was the guiding principal behind Surrealism?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describe Frida's feeling for her husband?
2. Who does Fuentes write is like Frida, "hiding her tortured body"?
3. What animals does Frida paint playing with string?
4. How does Lowe describe the act of reading Kahlo's diary?
5. What does Fuentes claim have been the worst traumas for Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kahlo's experiences in the U.S. shape her artistic career?
2. In what ways does Fuentes describe Mexico City of Frida's time as different from Mexico City today?
3. What are some of the external sources that Fuentes finds for Kahlo's art?
4. Who does Kahlo write a "melancholy" letter to in her Diary?
5. What is automatic drawing?
6. In Frida's first string of words, which one is the one that Lowe singles out as the only word with a specific reference?
7. Sarah M. Lowe writes about the acceptance of themes like "birthing or miscarriage" in Western art. How does this relate to Frida?
8. What physical changes does Lowe write that the Diary documented?
9. What does Frida write about giving birth?
10. Describe Frida's appearance, and the importance of her appearance, to Carlos Fuentes.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)