|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kahlo liken to ink?
2. Who is Jaqueline Lamba?
(a) An Existential philosopher.
(b) A poet.
(c) A Surrealist painter.
(d) A famous chef.
3. How does Fuentes characterize the kinds of escapes from reality Andre Breton "was legislating as law" in France compared to Latin America?
(a) As "unlikely to ever take hold."
(b) As "needlessly ritualistic."
(c) As "the law of life."
(d) As "small beer, comparatively speaking."
4. Who is the Olmedo that Kahlo refers to in the first few pages of her poem?
(a) Ines Olmedo, a model.
(b) Juan Olmedo, a doctor.
(c) Francisco Olmedo, a boyfriend from her youth.
(d) Dolores Olmedo, a friend.
5. What animals does Frida paint playing with string?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Andre Breton describe Frida Kahlo as?
2. Which of the following best describe Frida's feeling for her husband?
3. How does Lowe explain that reading the Diary may affect our viewing of Kahlo's paintings?
4. What aspect of Rembrandt and Van Gogh's work does Lowe compare to Kahlo's?
5. What does Lowe argue is Frida's overall feeling toward life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characterized Frida's "poetry"?
2. How does Fuentes characterize Frida's depiction of pain?
3. What physical changes does Lowe write that the Diary documented?
4. Describe Frida's appearance, and the importance of her appearance, to Carlos Fuentes.
5. In Frida's first string of words, which one is the one that Lowe singles out as the only word with a specific reference?
6. How does Lowe believe that Frida's Diary differs from most artist sketchbooks?
7. Why does Lowe claim that Frida included a bride in her painting The Bride Who Becomes Frightened When She Sees Life Open?
8. What are some of the external sources that Fuentes finds for Kahlo's art?
9. What device does Lowe claim that Frida frequently uses? (She uses this for human forms, roots, and other organic figures.)
10. How does Lowe describe Frida's planning process for the images in the Diary?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)