|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lowe write that Frida's work was first taken seriously (where she "made a decisive shift from amateur to professional painter")?
(a) On a trip to Puerto Rico.
(b) In the United States.
(c) In Mexico City, where Ines Amor organized an important exhibit.
(d) In Germany.
2. Frida creates an image of herself falling apart from the top of a column. What does she label this image?
(a) The pain is overwhelming.
(b) I am disintegration.
(c) Where is Diego?
(d) The great fall.
3. What does Lowe write about Frida's relationships with women?
(a) She was competitive with women artists.
(b) She was constantly seeking female friends to discuss her marriage.
(c) She felt competition with women because her husband was romantically interested in her female friends.
(d) Some were consumated, while others were not.
4. What does the use of the "third eye" signify in the "Portrait of Neferunico"?
(a) "Her love of foreign things."
(b) "The power of her intuitive insight."
(c) "Her connection to India."
(d) "Her interest in unusual biological forms."
5. What writing reveals that, as Lowe writes, "Kahlo came to her senses"?
(a) Her writing "my body will not give out unless my spirit dims."
(b) Her statement "I am responsible for myself."
(c) Her statement that "he has brought me more pain than joy."
(d) Her writing that Diego "belongs to himself."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Andre Breton describe Frida Kahlo as?
2. What kinds of metaphors does Lowe write that Frida made frequent use of?
3. Which of the following subjects does Frida mention in a letter to her husband in the Diary?
4. What does Lowe argue is Frida's overall feeling toward life?
5. How does Lowe claim Frida creates many of the dedications in the Diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Frida's first string of words, which one is the one that Lowe singles out as the only word with a specific reference?
2. How does Lowe believe that Frida's Diary differs from most artist sketchbooks?
3. Describe Frida's appearance, and the importance of her appearance, to Carlos Fuentes.
4. On what kind of body does Frida create a two-headed bull figure?
5. How does Fuentes describe the relationship between Kahlo's art and Surrealism?
6. Sarah M. Lowe writes about the acceptance of themes like "birthing or miscarriage" in Western art. How does this relate to Frida?
7. Who does Kahlo create a double portrait of? What images surround the portrait?
8. What figures are included in Frida's "connect-the-dot" drawing?
9. How does Fuentes characterize Frida's depiction of pain?
10. Who does Kahlo write a "melancholy" letter to in her Diary?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)