|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frida created a double portrait surrounded by small images. Which of the following images are close to her face in this portrait?
(b) A Chinese yin-yang sign.
(c) A faithful copy of the Mexico City's National Palace bell.
(d) An Egyptian pyramid.
2. What does Frida label her cold climate image?
(a) Arctic Foot.
(b) Remote Snows.
(c) Snowy Diego.
(d) Polar landscape.
3. How does Lowe describe the act of reading Kahlo's diary?
(a) As generally confusing given Kahlo's coded speech, and her frequent use of Surrealist games.
(b) As "an invariably voyeruristic act," which she remarks is often colored by a creul attraction to the suffering of others.
(c) As an act that brings us closer to Kahlo's biography while offering us little or no insight into her work.
(d) As one of trangression, "charged with an element of voyerurism."
4. How does Carlos Fuentes claim he first met Frida Kahlo?
(a) He heard her.
(b) He was introduced by a mutual friend.
(c) He had to ask her to take care of her dog.
(d) He smelled her perfume.
5. Which best describes how Fuentes characterizes Frida's speech?
(a) Frequently vulgar.
(b) Often exaggerated.
(d) Very Proper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lowe write that the text Kahlo includes in the images in her Diary affect the viewers understanding of the image?
2. What are the carpas that Fuentes describes?
3. What does "Xpcolatl" mean in Nahuatl?
4. Which of the following best describe Frida's feeling for her husband?
5. Which of the following best describes the connection between entries in Frida's diary.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is automatic drawing?
2. What characterized Frida's "poetry"?
3. How does Lowe believe that Frida's Diary differs from most artist sketchbooks?
4. How does Lowe describe Frida's relationship with Surrealism?
5. Frida labels an image "I am DISINTEGRATION." What is happening in that image?
6. What physical changes does Lowe write that the Diary documented?
7. How does Fuentes compare the work of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo?
8. How does Fuentes describe the relationship between Kahlo's art and Surrealism?
9. What does Kahlo connect to ink, and why does Lowe write that this is illuminating "with respect to her own creativity"?
10. How does Frida begin her diary?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)