|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Frida admire, and write about in her diary?
(a) Franchesca, her neighbor.
(b) Francisco Madero, a revolutionary.
(c) Juan Farill, her doctor.
(d) Carlos Riviera, Diego's brother.
2. What figures share a splattered arm, on the front-side and back-side of a single page?
(a) Diego Rivera and an artist named Dr. Atl.
(b) A figure labeled "ME" and Diego.
(c) Juan Faril, Frida's doctor, and herself.
(d) A skeleton and figure labeled "ME?"
3. After writing, "I am no longer alone," who does Frida write that she loves?
(a) Her father.
(c) Diego Rivera.
(d) Tina Modoti.
4. To what does Lowe attribute Frida's "loose" handwriting in 1947?
(b) Pain killers.
5. Where does Frida sit in an image of her holding Diego Rivera as her child?
(a) On an oversized leaf.
(b) In the middle of a desert landscape.
(c) On the lap of a woman who personifies Mexico.
(d) On the lap of a woman who personifies the universe.
6. What do the words "MOON" and "SUN" refer to in the image that places a woman between the two?
(a) A 1952 bestselling book in Mexico.
(b) The pyramids at Teotihuacan.
(c) The so-called "Land of the midnight sun."
(d) Frida's belief that her place was in the center of the cosmos.
7. What did Frida label an image of a pigeon sitting atop a partially human body?
(a) "100 Ways to Kill a Pigeon."
(b) "The pigeon headed woman."
(c) "The pigeon made mistakes..."
(d) "This pigeon will fly."
8. Why does Frida create a list of things she is thankful for?
(a) She is thankful for learning to walk after surgery.
(b) She is thankful for her upcoming exposition.
(c) She is thankful for her pregnancy.
(d) She is thankful for learning to speak in public.
9. What number repeats in Frida's diary?
10. Which of the following is the central image in a page labeled "I love Diego"?
(a) Her "plaster corset."
(b) An ink spill.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A foggy window.
11. What story does Lowe liken Frida's childhood memory to?
(a) An Aztec birth myth.
(b) Lewis Caroll's Alice.
(c) A small story (in a single panel) of Diego Rivera's History of Mexico mural.
(d) A German tale her father may have shared with her.
12. What is the name of the monstrous creature that Frida paints in green, wrapped with red ribbons?
(a) A "Boogie Man," called "El coco" in Spanish.
(b) An "Eyesaurus."
(c) The ghost of a dead child.
(d) An "Ooglersaurus."
13. In the image labeled "SUN," and "MOON," there is a woman labeled "ME?" Which of the following describe this woman?
(a) She has one arm.
(b) She is on fire.
(c) She is drowning.
(d) She has one foot.
14. What does Frida write over and over, in bubbles surrounding an angel?
15. What is the last image in Frida's diary?
(a) A winged creature.
(c) An apple.
(d) A candle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lowe write makes a winged creature "speak to Kahlo's wholly subjective image of herself"?
2. Which of the images in the Diary does Frida later use for a formal painting?
3. Why does Lowe believe Frida can paint her own death?
4. Who does Frida write "lulls her to sleep"?
5. Which of the following are among Frida's interests mentioned in the Diary?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)