|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lowe write is a "favorite device" of Frida's?
(a) "Spilling ink, then moving it around on the surface to create a Surrealist-style image."
(b) "Ink strokes that form an undulating mesh of lines."
(c) "Having a friend begin an image and quickly finishing it, in an attempt to bypass the logical, thinking mind."
(d) "Bringing interior physical forms to the surface, to show power relationships."
2. Which of the following subjects does Frida mention in a letter to her husband in the Diary?
(c) The Day of the Dead.
3. What object in one of her paintings is explained in Kahlo's letter to Lamba?
(a) A bride.
(b) A chapel.
(c) A mouse.
(d) An apple.
4. What did Frida's students note about Frida's Spanish?
(a) She enjoyed using double entendres.
(b) She had a uniqe way of speaking.
(c) They could never hear her.
(d) She liked listening more than speaking.
5. Frida created an list of words beginning with the same letter. What letter did she use?
6. What does Fuentes write happened in September of 1925 that changed Frida's life?
(a) She divorced for the first time.
(b) Her foot was amputated.
(c) An accident.
(d) She miscarried.
7. In a double (or triple) portrait, that Lowe writes recalls The Two Fridas, which of the following does Lowe write that Kahlo illustrates?
(a) The strength of romantic life.
(b) The power struggle in a family.
(c) The stages of a woman's life.
(d) The violence of birth and death.
8. How does Frida describe "desire"?
(a) As "communication from the gods."
(b) As "what binds me to Diego."
(c) As "the one who gave birth to herself."
(d) As "a dream we must attempt to prolong."
9. What does Frida label her cold climate image?
(a) Arctic Foot.
(b) Polar landscape.
(c) Remote Snows.
(d) Snowy Diego.
10. Which of the following describe the mood of Frida's depiction of her animals.
11. What part of Mexico does Fuentes compare to Frida's body?
(a) It's music.
(b) It's art.
(c) It's wounds.
(d) It's wars.
12. What was Kahlo's relationship with Lamba?
(a) Fuentes writes that they were competitors.
(b) They once studied together.
(c) Lowe claims they were lovers.
(d) They were very close.
13. What characterizes the poems on the first several pages of the Diary?
(b) Aztec influences.
(c) Long strings of unrelated words.
(d) Colorful, erratic writing.
14. What does Lowe write happened in Kahlo's life just before beginning the Diary?
(a) Her house burned down.
(b) Diego had an affair with her aunt.
(c) Her father died.
(d) Her foot was amputated.
15. Frida created a double portrait surrounded by small images. Which of the following images are close to her face in this portrait?
(a) An Egyptian pyramid.
(c) A Chinese yin-yang sign.
(d) A faithful copy of the Mexico City's National Palace bell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lowe write "cemented" the association of Frida and Surrealism?
2. What pets does Lowe mentioned Frida keeps?
3. How does Lowe claim Frida creates many of the dedications in the Diary?
4. What does Lowe write creates an "aura of illness" in one of the illustrations in the Diary?
5. One of the first images creates in her diary is "connect-the-dots ink drawing." Which of the following figures can be found in the drawing?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)