|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style does Fuentes claim was "in tune with the tastes of the Mexican elite" around the turn of the century?
(a) A surrealist style that influenced architecture at the time.
(b) An Italian ornate style.
(c) An indigenous geometric style.
(d) A German born style emphasizing contrast.
2. What writing reveals that, as Lowe writes, "Kahlo came to her senses"?
(a) Her statement that "he has brought me more pain than joy."
(b) Her writing "my body will not give out unless my spirit dims."
(c) Her statement "I am responsible for myself."
(d) Her writing that Diego "belongs to himself."
3. What does Lowe notice about Kahlo's images of nude women?
(a) They are stronger figures than her vulnerable male nudes.
(b) They are "strewn about in a vulgar manner," and they are "perhaps overly used."
(c) They are all painted in a very different manner from her own nude self-portraits.
(d) They are "virtually never shown as objects of desire."
4. How does Lowe describe the act of reading Kahlo's diary?
(a) As "an invariably voyeruristic act," which she remarks is often colored by a creul attraction to the suffering of others.
(b) As one of trangression, "charged with an element of voyerurism."
(c) As generally confusing given Kahlo's coded speech, and her frequent use of Surrealist games.
(d) As an act that brings us closer to Kahlo's biography while offering us little or no insight into her work.
5. What aspect of Rembrandt and Van Gogh's work does Lowe compare to Kahlo's?
(a) Use of costume to convey a message.
(b) Their reception.
(c) Use of coded symbols.
(d) The use of the eyes to convey pain.
6. What does Kahlo liken to ink?
7. What pets does Lowe mentioned Frida keeps?
8. Who does Frida address an eight page letter to in the Diary?
(a) Diego Rivera.
(b) Her sister, Matilda.
(c) Jose Clemente Orozco.
(d) Her father, though he died years earlier.
9. Who does Lowe write "cemented" the association of Frida and Surrealism?
(a) Andre Breton.
(b) Diego Rivera.
(c) Jose Vasconcelos.
(d) Jose Clemente Orozco.
10. Which of the following does Frida use in her Diary?
(c) Oil paints.
11. Which of the following best describes the connection between entries in Frida's diary.
(a) They deal with the current trauma in her life.
(b) They show her maturing, over the course of about 15 years.
(c) There is little continuity.
(d) They are themed.
12. Frida creates an image of herself falling apart from the top of a column. What does she label this image?
(a) I am disintegration.
(b) The pain is overwhelming.
(c) Where is Diego?
(d) The great fall.
13. What animals does Frida paint playing with string?
14. What does Lowe write about Frida's relationships with women?
(a) Some were consumated, while others were not.
(b) She was competitive with women artists.
(c) She was constantly seeking female friends to discuss her marriage.
(d) She felt competition with women because her husband was romantically interested in her female friends.
15. What did Frida use to create the central images of the icy landscape in her diary?
(a) Ink that seeped through the previous page.
(b) Blotted lipstick.
(c) Sauce that must have spilled onto the page.
(d) A sponge print.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kahlo paint Dorothy Hale?
2. What civilizations does Lowe wright were part of Kahlo's understanding of her "personal past"?
3. How does Lowe explain that reading the Diary may affect our viewing of Kahlo's paintings?
4. How does Lowe write that Frida's understanding of Communism changes?
5. Who does Lowe write does Frida draw in the Diary and use in a painting titled Moses?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)