|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Carlos Fuentes first meet Frida?
(a) In the Alameda Park.
(b) At a Mexico City gallery called the Gallery of Mexican Art.
(c) In a restaurant called Sanborns.
(d) In the Palace of Fine Arts.
2. Who does Lowe write does Frida draw in the Diary and use in a painting titled Moses?
(c) Andre Breton.
3. What year does Fuentes write that the Mexican Revolution began?
4. Who is Jaqueline Lamba?
(a) A Surrealist painter.
(b) An Existential philosopher.
(c) A poet.
(d) A famous chef.
5. How does Fuentes characterize the kinds of escapes from reality Andre Breton "was legislating as law" in France compared to Latin America?
(a) As "the law of life."
(b) As "needlessly ritualistic."
(c) As "small beer, comparatively speaking."
(d) As "unlikely to ever take hold."
6. How does Lowe claim Frida creates many of the dedications in the Diary?
(a) Inviting friends to write them in.
(b) Writing an entry at one time and a dedication at another.
(c) Using a color of ink that she related to the person she was writing about.
(d) Using text similar to the texts found in retablos.
7. Who is the Olmedo that Kahlo refers to in the first few pages of her poem?
(a) Juan Olmedo, a doctor.
(b) Dolores Olmedo, a friend.
(c) Francisco Olmedo, a boyfriend from her youth.
(d) Ines Olmedo, a model.
8. How does Carlos Fuentes claim he first met Frida Kahlo?
(a) He was introduced by a mutual friend.
(b) He smelled her perfume.
(c) He had to ask her to take care of her dog.
(d) He heard her.
9. What Tiffany art object does Carlos Fuentes describe?
(a) A glass curtain.
(b) A beautiful lamp shade.
(c) Frida's earrings.
(d) A diamond studded leash.
10. Which of the following does Frida use in her Diary?
(b) Oil paints.
11. What animals does Frida paint playing with string?
12. What does Lowe write is a "favorite device" of Frida's?
(a) "Bringing interior physical forms to the surface, to show power relationships."
(b) "Spilling ink, then moving it around on the surface to create a Surrealist-style image."
(c) "Having a friend begin an image and quickly finishing it, in an attempt to bypass the logical, thinking mind."
(d) "Ink strokes that form an undulating mesh of lines."
13. What does Lowe claims motivate Kahlo's writing the Diary?
(a) "Negotiating her relationship to her self."
(b) "Drafting what would later become formal paintings."
(c) "Doodling when she was in too much pain to paint formally."
(d) "Understanding her complicated romantic life."
14. Who does Fuentes quote as having called pain "Dog"?
(d) Diego Rivera.
15. What movement has Frida been associated with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Xpcolatl" mean in Nahuatl?
2. How long does Lowe write that Frida kept this Diary?
3. What does Frida write on the page that she fills with faces in bubbles?
4. What does Lowe write about Frida's relationships with women?
5. One of the first images creates in her diary is "connect-the-dots ink drawing." Which of the following figures can be found in the drawing?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)