|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 33 to 57.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the carpas that Fuentes describes?
(a) Tents that were the stage for satire in proletariat "barrios."
(b) Layers of "resentimiento," or popular resentment as the ideals of the Revolution were touted as realized in government.
(c) A term for the typical cooking utensils that Adelitas, women who participated in the Revolution, typically carried on their backs.
(d) A term for old neighborhoods, like Coyoacan, that were once separate from Mexico City, but became part of the city as it grew.
2. What did Andre Breton describe Frida Kahlo as?
(a) A ribbon around a bombshell.
(b) The best painter of our century.
(c) The most important woman in Mexican history.
(d) A lion, waiting on the bookshelf.
3. What does Lowe write that Surrealists believed "automatic drawing" was useful for?
(a) Finding surprising combinations.
(b) Accessing the subconscious.
(c) Creating new ways of looking at things.
(d) Party games.
4. Where does Lowe write that Frida's work was first taken seriously (where she "made a decisive shift from amateur to professional painter")?
(a) In Germany.
(b) On a trip to Puerto Rico.
(c) In the United States.
(d) In Mexico City, where Ines Amor organized an important exhibit.
5. How does Lowe describe Frida's planning of the paintings in her Diary?
(a) They were planned in writing.
(b) They were, themselves, used to plan more formal paintings.
(c) They were unplanned.
(d) They were meticulously planned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Tiffany art object does Carlos Fuentes describe?
2. Who is Jaqueline Lamba?
3. Who does Frida address an eight page letter to in the Diary?
4. Who does Lowe write does Frida draw in the Diary and use in a painting titled Moses?
5. How does Lowe claim Frida creates many of the dedications in the Diary?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)