|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Essay by Sarah M. Lowe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following qualities does Lowe claim Frida shares with Surrealism?
(a) An interest in romance.
(b) A fascination with pain.
(c) A love of the grotesque.
(d) An interest in the subconscious.
2. How does Lowe write that the text Kahlo includes in the images in her Diary affect the viewers understanding of the image?
(a) They do not illuminate the meaning, but add to their complexity.
(b) They generally are unrelated.
(c) For the most part, they are quotes from books.
(d) They frequently describe what is happening in the image, as in a retablo.
3. Which of the following techniques does Lowe write that Kahlo used?
(a) Ink spills.
(b) Wax spills.
(c) Random scratching to the paper.
(d) "Automatic," or free association games with human and animal body parts.
4. What kinds of metaphors does Lowe write that Frida made frequent use of?
(a) Leaves and branches.
(b) Veins and roots.
(c) Clouds and water.
(d) Sexual metaphors.
5. How does Fuentes characterize the kinds of escapes from reality Andre Breton "was legislating as law" in France compared to Latin America?
(a) As "unlikely to ever take hold."
(b) As "needlessly ritualistic."
(c) As "the law of life."
(d) As "small beer, comparatively speaking."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fuentes compare the bloodshed of the Mexican Revolution and the "executions ordered by Hitler and Stalin"?
2. What does Lowe argue is Frida's overall feeling toward life?
3. How does Lowe explain that reading the Diary may affect our viewing of Kahlo's paintings?
4. What Tiffany art object does Carlos Fuentes describe?
5. Where does Lowe write that Frida's work was first taken seriously (where she "made a decisive shift from amateur to professional painter")?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)