|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Essay by Sarah M. Lowe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carlos Fuentes claim he first met Frida Kahlo?
(a) He heard her.
(b) He smelled her perfume.
(c) He had to ask her to take care of her dog.
(d) He was introduced by a mutual friend.
2. What aspect of Rembrandt and Van Gogh's work does Lowe compare to Kahlo's?
(a) Their reception.
(b) Use of coded symbols.
(c) Use of costume to convey a message.
(d) The use of the eyes to convey pain.
3. What Tiffany art object does Carlos Fuentes describe?
(a) Frida's earrings.
(b) A diamond studded leash.
(c) A beautiful lamp shade.
(d) A glass curtain.
4. How long does Lowe write that Frida kept this Diary?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Fifteen years.
5. How does Lowe describe the act of reading Kahlo's diary?
(a) As generally confusing given Kahlo's coded speech, and her frequent use of Surrealist games.
(b) As "an invariably voyeruristic act," which she remarks is often colored by a creul attraction to the suffering of others.
(c) As one of trangression, "charged with an element of voyerurism."
(d) As an act that brings us closer to Kahlo's biography while offering us little or no insight into her work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following qualities does Lowe claim Frida shares with Surrealism?
2. What does Lowe claim was the guiding principal behind Surrealism?
3. How does Fuentes characterize the kinds of escapes from reality Andre Breton "was legislating as law" in France compared to Latin America?
4. What does Lowe write happened in Kahlo's life just before beginning the Diary?
5. What style does Fuentes claim was "in tune with the tastes of the Mexican elite" around the turn of the century?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)