|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Essay by Sarah M. Lowe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carlos Fuentes claim he first met Frida Kahlo?
(a) He smelled her perfume.
(b) He heard her.
(c) He had to ask her to take care of her dog.
(d) He was introduced by a mutual friend.
2. What does Lowe claims motivate Kahlo's writing the Diary?
(a) "Doodling when she was in too much pain to paint formally."
(b) "Understanding her complicated romantic life."
(c) "Negotiating her relationship to her self."
(d) "Drafting what would later become formal paintings."
3. What movement has Frida been associated with?
4. Lowe quotes Kahlo as writing that anguish and pain were both which of the following?
(a) Necessary parts of life.
(b) Never fully embraced.
5. How does Lowe write that the text Kahlo includes in the images in her Diary affect the viewers understanding of the image?
(a) They generally are unrelated.
(b) They frequently describe what is happening in the image, as in a retablo.
(c) For the most part, they are quotes from books.
(d) They do not illuminate the meaning, but add to their complexity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a retablo?
2. What aspect of Rembrandt and Van Gogh's work does Lowe compare to Kahlo's?
3. What civilizations does Lowe wright were part of Kahlo's understanding of her "personal past"?
4. How does Lowe describe Frida's planning of the paintings in her Diary?
5. Before the Mexican Revolution, what culture does Fuentes write influenced Mexico and Latin America?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)