|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Essay by Sarah M. Lowe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lowe describe the act of reading Kahlo's diary?
(a) As an act that brings us closer to Kahlo's biography while offering us little or no insight into her work.
(b) As one of trangression, "charged with an element of voyerurism."
(c) As generally confusing given Kahlo's coded speech, and her frequent use of Surrealist games.
(d) As "an invariably voyeruristic act," which she remarks is often colored by a creul attraction to the suffering of others.
2. How does Lowe write that Frida changes as she writes this Diary?
(a) She becomes more interested in her professional career as an artist.
(b) She becomes more and more reclusive.
(c) She declines physically.
(d) She becomes increasingly interested in expanding her artistic influences.
3. What "path" does Lowe write that Frida illuminates in this Diary?
(a) "The path toward death."
(b) "The path toward love."
(c) "The path of a consummate artist."
(d) "The artist's path."
4. How does Lowe write that the text Kahlo includes in the images in her Diary affect the viewers understanding of the image?
(a) They generally are unrelated.
(b) They frequently describe what is happening in the image, as in a retablo.
(c) For the most part, they are quotes from books.
(d) They do not illuminate the meaning, but add to their complexity.
5. What civilizations does Lowe wright were part of Kahlo's understanding of her "personal past"?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The Olmecs, Aztecs, and Toltecs.
(c) The Surrealists in France.
(d) The Mayans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carlos Fuentes claim he first met Frida Kahlo?
2. What did Andre Breton describe Frida Kahlo as?
3. How does Fuentes characterize the kinds of escapes from reality Andre Breton "was legislating as law" in France compared to Latin America?
4. What does Fuentes claim have been the worst traumas for Mexico?
5. Which of the following best describe Lowe's tone in her writing about Kahlo?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)