|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Cure de Torcy scold the priest regarding Mme la Comtesse?
2. What happens to the priest one day as he is making his visits to parishioners?
3. What surprises the priest about the doctor?
4. Where did the priest go immediately after his doctor's appointment?
5. What does the priest tell Mlle Louise to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the diagnosis of the young priest's disease?
2. Describe the meeting between the priest and M. le Comte.
3. Why has the girl, Seraphita, tied a string tightly around her leg?
4. The book ends not with a diary entry but a letter. Explain the originator of the letter and its contents.
5. Why is Mme la Comtesse adamant about sending Mlle Chantal to finishing school?
6. Where does the priest go after his doctor's appointment in Lille?
7. Explain how the situation with the medallion is the climax of the novel.
8. What does the priest learn from the sacristan regarding the general perception people have of him?
9. Why does Mlle Louise come to see the priest and what does he advise her?
10. How does the priest handle the matter of Mlle Chantal with Mme la Comtesse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The priest puts the needs of others ahead of his own even though he is very sick. Explain the nature of selfless love such as this. How does the priest exhibit it throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Both the young doctor and young priest have terminal illnesses yet the doctor watches in shock and surprise when the priest cries at hearing the diagnosis. Is the doctor's atheism a factor in his reaction to the priest? Explain. What other reasons could the doctor have for his beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the parish the way the young priest finds it when he arrives. What does it look like? Who are the people? What are the people like?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)