|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only beverage the priest drinks now?
2. Why is Seraphita sad when she talks to the priest?
3. How does Mme la Comtesse help the priest?
4. What makes the priest feel uncomfortable?
5. What does the priest do regarding his health this morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the priest attempt to break down the emotional barriers Mme la Comtesse has set up around herself?
2. What does the priest note about his illness in Chapter 6?
3. What advice does the doctor give the priest?
4. What secret and personal pain does Mme la Comtesse reveal to the priest?
5. Why has the girl, Seraphita, tied a string tightly around her leg?
6. The book ends not with a diary entry but a letter. Explain the originator of the letter and its contents.
7. Describe the meeting between the priest and M. le Comte.
8. Describe the encounter between the priest and Mlle Chantal.
9. How does the young priest suffer a crisis of confidence in himself and in his work?
10. Why does Mlle Louise come to see the priest and what does he advise her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the tone of the novel as the young priest's parish experience extends. What is his demeanor at the onset? How does the tone change as the priest becomes more disillusioned with the people and circumstances of the parish? At the end, what is the priest's outlook?
Essay Topic 2
One of the important themes in the book is that of the spiritual journey. Explain the different points where the young priest and the older Cure de Torcy are on their individual spiritual journeys.
Essay Topic 3
Both the young doctor and young priest have terminal illnesses yet the doctor watches in shock and surprise when the priest cries at hearing the diagnosis. Is the doctor's atheism a factor in his reaction to the priest? Explain. What other reasons could the doctor have for his beliefs?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)