|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Dean of Blangermont chide the young priest about?
2. What was Mlle Louise's original career goal?
3. Who does Mlle Chantal want to punish?
4. What does the priest now put in his wine?
5. What does Mlle Chantal speak about with the priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mlle Louise?
2. What is the Cure de Torcy's view on how the world would be a better place?
3. Where is the young priest's parish and how long has he been there?
4. How does the priest behave after he receives the letter requesting his resignation?
5. What role does his diary fill in the life of the young priest?
6. Dr. Delbende, the young priest's physician, dies from a gunshot wound which supposedly occurred while cleaning the gun. What is the unofficial story of the doctor's death?
7. How are the young priest's attempts to help Seraphita poorly received by the girl's mother?
8. What is the premise of the novel, The Diary of a Country Priest?
9. How has the young priest come to think about his parish so far?
10. In addition to the injustice seen in Dr. Delbende's life, how else does the author show the theme of injustice in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the young priest represent to the parishioners that most of them do not like him? What is it about his fresh energy for faith and spirituality that makes the people, even the children, ridicule him and gossip about him? What lessons are to be learned for both the priest and his parishioners?
Essay Topic 2
Both the young doctor and young priest have terminal illnesses yet the doctor watches in shock and surprise when the priest cries at hearing the diagnosis. Is the doctor's atheism a factor in his reaction to the priest? Explain. What other reasons could the doctor have for his beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
There is much underhanded behavior going on behind the back of the young priest and he has a hard time reconciling it with what he knows. Explain how M. le Comte, Seraphita and Mlle Chantal are especially harmful to the young priest and his reputation.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)