|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M. le Comte tell the priest about Sulpice Mitonnet?
2. What does Mlle Louise tell the priest about Mlle Chantal?
3. According to the Cure de Torcy, Jesus is not as happy with _____________ as He is with priests.
4. What causes more and more distress for the young priest?
5. The young priest realizes that the problems of ordinary people are more difficult than those of ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What budget-related decision has the young priest reversed?
2. Who is Mlle Louise?
3. Explain the circumstances of the suspicion encircling the boy, Sulpice Mitonnet.
4. Who is Louis Duprety?
5. Explain the embarrassing situation the priest has with a local grocer.
6. What is the Cure de Torcy's view on how the world would be a better place?
7. What are the priest's thoughts about keeping a diary?
8. What role does his diary fill in the life of the young priest?
9. Dr. Delbende, the young priest's physician, dies from a gunshot wound which supposedly occurred while cleaning the gun. What is the unofficial story of the doctor's death?
10. What are the supernatural events that occur during Mlle Chantal's confession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The young priest experiences conflict between what he has learned and what he is experiencing? Explain the young priest's inner turmoil regarding money, ethics, faith, etc. as he had learned them and as he experiences them firsthand in the parish.
Essay Topic 2
Do a character sketch on the Cure de Torcy. What role does he play in the novel? What role does he play in the young priest's life?
Essay Topic 3
One of the important themes in the book is that of the spiritual journey. Explain the different points where the young priest and the older Cure de Torcy are on their individual spiritual journeys.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)