|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to the young priest about his relationships with the parishioners?
2. What physical discomfort has the young priest experienced lately?
3. Who has been gossiping about the young priest?
4. What does the priest pause to reconsider?
5. What does the priest write in his diary about his health at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of the suspicion encircling the boy, Sulpice Mitonnet.
2. How are the young priest's attempts to help Seraphita poorly received by the girl's mother?
3. How does the young priest behave after he learns from the Cure de Torcy how the parishioners feel about him?
4. How does the priest feel about the decision to hire a housekeeper?
5. How has the young priest come to think about his parish so far?
6. Explain the perceptions the young priest has of the people in the parish.
7. Who is Louis Duprety?
8. Describe the scenario when Mlle Chantal approaches the priest after mass one morning.
9. In addition to his illness, what indignity must the young priest now manage?
10. How does the priest first address being ill in his diary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much underhanded behavior going on behind the back of the young priest and he has a hard time reconciling it with what he knows. Explain how M. le Comte, Seraphita and Mlle Chantal are especially harmful to the young priest and his reputation.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of pride and arrogance in the young priest's life? Does he feel he is elevated in the eyes of the parishioners? In his own eyes? Why does he look down upon Louis Duprety who leaves the priesthood?
Essay Topic 3
The young doctor considers suicide as a resolution for his health problems. Do you think he will go through with it? Why is that not an option for the priest? Is it because of fear of eternal damnation? Or the grace earned through suffering? Explain.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)