|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cure de Torcy?
2. What does the priest tell Seraphita's mother about her daughter?
3. Why is Mlle Chantal being sent away to a boarding school?
4. How do the parishioners overcome their boredom?
5. What decision does the young priest's housekeeper make?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young priest behave after he learns from the Cure de Torcy how the parishioners feel about him?
2. What are the supernatural events that occur during Mlle Chantal's confession?
3. How does the theme of pride emerge and how does the young priest perceive it?
4. How are the young priest's attempts to help Seraphita poorly received by the girl's mother?
5. Explain the perceptions the young priest has of the people in the parish.
6. Who is Louis Duprety?
7. Explain the circumstances of the suspicion encircling the boy, Sulpice Mitonnet.
8. How does the priest first address being ill in his diary?
9. How does the priest behave after he receives the letter requesting his resignation?
10. Who is Seraphita Dumouchel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The climax of the novel is the priest's confrontation with Mme la Comtesse. Explain the nature of a literary climax and why this incident is the climax of this book. Now, write an alternate way this confrontation could have gone. Use creativity!
Essay Topic 2
Describe the parish the way the young priest finds it when he arrives. What does it look like? Who are the people? What are the people like?
Essay Topic 3
The young doctor considers suicide as a resolution for his health problems. Do you think he will go through with it? Why is that not an option for the priest? Is it because of fear of eternal damnation? Or the grace earned through suffering? Explain.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)