|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest pause to reconsider?
2. What does the Dean of Blangermont chide the young priest about?
3. The young priest says his parishioners are _____________________.
4. What does the young priest buy when the cleaning lady starts?
5. What is the nature of Louis Duprety's letter to the young priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Louis Duprety?
2. Explain the perceptions the young priest has of the people in the parish.
3. Where is the young priest's parish and how long has he been there?
4. Explain the circumstances of the suspicion encircling the boy, Sulpice Mitonnet.
5. What role does his diary fill in the life of the young priest?
6. Who is the Curé de Torcy and how does he advise the young priest?
7. In addition to the injustice seen in Dr. Delbende's life, how else does the author show the theme of injustice in this chapter?
8. Explain how the Dean of Blangermont lectures to the young priest about balancing religion and business.
9. Describe the scenario when Mlle Chantal approaches the priest after mass one morning.
10. What are the priest's thoughts about keeping a diary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much underhanded behavior going on behind the back of the young priest and he has a hard time reconciling it with what he knows. Explain how M. le Comte, Seraphita and Mlle Chantal are especially harmful to the young priest and his reputation.
Essay Topic 2
The priest puts the needs of others ahead of his own even though he is very sick. Explain the nature of selfless love such as this. How does the priest exhibit it throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The young priest is a tragic figure, made more so when he experiences the feeling of being young when riding the motorbike so close to the time of his death. What lessons does the author want the reader to learn from the young priest's life and death?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)