|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of Louis Duprety's letter to the young priest?
(a) He asks the priest for money
(b) He asks for advice to help a parishioner
(c) Louis is sick and wants the priest to come
(d) He is hosting a birthday party for a mutual friend
2. According to the young priest, most people have ____________________ for themselves.
(a) enough ambition
(b) an unforgivable dislike
(c) a healthy image
(d) a sense of purpose
3. What does the young priest describe as the novel begins?
(a) His education
(b) His childhood
(c) His love of God
(d) His parish
4. What is the content of a letter received by the young priest?
(a) A large donation for the church
(b) A suggestion for a sermon
(c) An anonymous confession
(d) A request for his resignation
5. What does the Cure de Torcy believe about Dr. Delbende's death?
(a) He had not been baptized
(b) He had not left a will
(c) He was too young to die
(d) He may have shot himself
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young priest feel about his parish?
2. What has happened to Dr. Delbende?
3. Who is Louis Duprety?
4. In what area does the Cure de Torcy encourage the young priest?
5. The parishioners are waiting for ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the embarrassing situation the priest has with a local grocer.
2. What is the Cure de Torcy's view on how the world would be a better place?
3. Explain how the Dean of Blangermont lectures to the young priest about balancing religion and business.
4. How does the young priest behave after he learns from the Cure de Torcy how the parishioners feel about him?
5. Explain the perceptions the young priest has of the people in the parish.
6. In addition to his illness, what indignity must the young priest now manage?
7. What is the premise of the novel, The Diary of a Country Priest?
8. Explain the circumstances of the suspicion encircling the boy, Sulpice Mitonnet.
9. Explain Dr. Delbende's position on religion as he explains it to the young priest.
10. What information does Mlle Louise share with the priest and how does he feel about knowing it?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)