|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the act of throwing the medallion into the fire symbolize for Mme la Comtesse?
(a) She has a horrible temper
(b) Casting off disappointments and bitterness
(c) She has gone mad
(d) She wants some new jewelry
2. Why does the priest tell Seraphita that he is sad?
(a) Because people do not love God enough
(b) He has a terminal illness
(c) His mother has died
(d) Mme la Comtesse's death has been hard on him
3. Why does Mme la Comte say her daughter is being sent away?
(a) She wants to travel
(b) She needs an advanced education
(c) She is jealous of her governess
(d) She wants her to find a rich husband
4. What does Mlle Chantal do at the priest's house before he leaves for Lille?
5. How does the priest spend the night after meeting with M. le Comte?
(b) Writing sermons
(c) Not able to sleep
(d) Drinking wine
6. What does the priest note about himself at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) He needs new shoes
(b) His short-term memory is getting bad
(c) He has a wart on his right hand
(d) His hair is thinning
7. Who does the priest meet on the road to Mezargues?
(a) Mlle Chantal
(b) Mlle Louise
(d) M. Olivier
8. Why does the Cure de Torcy scold the priest regarding Mme la Comtesse?
(a) For not giving the woman the Last Rites
(b) For letting her throw the memento of her son into the fire
(c) For not hearing the woman's confession
(d) For not writing down the notes from the meeting
9. What makes the priest feel uncomfortable?
(a) Being naked
(b) The doctor's arrogance
(c) The instruments are too cold
(d) The room is too hot
10. What is in the medallion around Mme la Comtesse's neck?
(a) A photograph
(b) A lock of her son's hair
(c) An emerald
(d) A dried flower
11. What does the Cure de Torcy lecture the young priest on?
(a) The catechism lesson plans
(b) The length of his sermons
(c) Thinking things through too much
(d) The church budget
12. How does the priest keep track of recent events?
(a) Records them
(b) Writes on napkins and scraps of paper
(c) Writes them in his diary
(d) Dictates to a secretary
13. What does the Cure de Torcy tell the young priest about his stomach pains?
(a) He should eat better
(b) It is all in his head
(c) He should take an antacid
(d) He should see a specialist
14. What surprises the priest about the doctor?
(a) His youth
(b) His fee
(c) His clothing
(d) His voice
15. The canon warns the priest about misusing __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Cure de Torcy tell the priest about Mlle Chantal?
2. Without the priest's assistance, Mme la Comtesse would have died _________________________.
3. What does Seraphita leave behind in the classroom?
4. What is the sacristan's reply to the priest?
5. What does M. le Comte find in the priest's papers that upsets him?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)