|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nell leaves the Academy, into what area does she travel?
2. Who does Carl Hollywood manage to remotely trick while sitting in a teahouse in Shanghai?
3. Who watches the three girls with Primers play outside the manor of Elizabeth's grandfather?
4. What sort of work does Nell want to do in Madame Ping's establishment?
5. Who rescues Carl Hollywood from the Fist of Righteous Harmony?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "From the Primer, Princess Nell Crosses the Trail of the Enigmatic Mouse Army," when grown-up Nell visits her ailing brother, Harv, what message does he share with her?
2. In "Final Onslaught of the Fists," what message does Carl Hollywood receive from the government, and how does he carry out that request?
3. In "Nell's Life at Dovetail," why is Nell not allowed to live with the other girls at Miss Matheson's Academy of the Three Graces?
4. In "Carl Hollywood Takes the Oath," why is he allowed to join the elite Atlantis phyle and gain acceptance from Lord Finkle-McGraw?
5. What are the three Graces taught at the Academy, and which Grace gives the students the most trouble?
6. In "Hackworth in China," what does Dr. X see as the destruction of Chinese society in the novel?
7. Part Two of the novel opens with what sort of bizarre ritual?
8. In "Carl Hollywood's Activities at the Parnasse," why is Miranda so interested in the technical aspects of the Primer's interactive features?
9. In "Carl Hollywood Returns from Abroad," when Miranda admits to Carl Hollywood that she thinks of Nell as a daughter, what reaction does Carl Hollywood have?
10. In "A New Friend," what does the red-headed woman explain to Nell and Harv about the activities of the citizens of Dovetail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given there are no countries with boundaries in "The Diamond Age", what new boundaries have been created to restrict citizens? Can these boundaries ever be crossed? Which characters, if any, manage to cross these non-geographic boundaries?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the motives of Lord Finkle-McGraw and Hackworth in working to procure Primers for the little girls they love.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of nanotechnology on the environment in the latter twenty-first century. Include mentions of Source Victoria, the Feed, the security measures protecting Atlantis/Shanghai, recyclers, toner, and the lack of agriculture due to matter compilers.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)