|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose does Constable Moore use mediatrons?
2. Which of the three girls who possess original Primers is the first to leave the Academy?
3. In the Primer, how many castles must Princess Nell visit to recover what was stolen from her by the crow?
4. In the Primer, Princess Nell learns that several castles are plagued by a problem caused by whom?
5. When Miranda and Carl Hollywood meet in a restaurant, what do they discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Orphans of the Han...," what does Judge Fang observe when he gives a young Han girl a copy of the Primer?
2. In the final scene of the novel when Nell rescues Miranda from the Drummers, how are various subplots tied together into one cohesive whole?
3. In "Three Girls Go Exploring," what is Gwendolyn's emotional state when she learns that Hackworth is not in any danger?
4. In "Hackworth Receives an Ambiguous Message," after Hackworth finds a message telling him to seek the Alchemist, what unusual event occurs?
5. In "Miranda Receives an Unusual Ractive Message," what scheme does she enter into?
6. In "Carl Hollywood Returns to Shanghai," what is the significance of his efforts to connect Miranda to the other information he has gathered?
7. In "Hackworth in China," what is ironic about the revelations that Dr. X makes to Hackworth?
8. In "A New Friend," what does the red-headed woman explain to Nell and Harv about the activities of the citizens of Dovetail?
9. In "Nell's Life at Dovetail," why is Nell not allowed to live with the other girls at Miss Matheson's Academy of the Three Graces?
10. In "Carl Hollywood Returns from Abroad," when Miranda admits to Carl Hollywood that she thinks of Nell as a daughter, what reaction does Carl Hollywood have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Track the gradually developing mother/daughter relationship between Miranda and Nell as it grows throughout the novel by way of the Primer, culminating in Nell's rescue of Miranda using skills she learned from the Primer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses performances throughout the novel to propel the action, including ractor interactions in the Primer, theatrical plays, passives, actives, mediatrons, trance-like rituals, and scripted brothel fantasies. Discuss the author's use of drama within drama to forward the plot of "The Diamond Age".
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the impact that the three interactive Primers had on Nell, Elizabeth, and Fiona. How did the Primers affect their important life-decisions?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)