|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the banker explain to Bud the penalties for missing payments on a line of credit?
2. "The Diamond Age" is set in what era?
3. In the Primer, why and how does Dinosaur sacrifice his life after he, Nell, and their three magic friends escape from the castle?
4. In "Nell Sees Something Peculiar," Nell sees Harv and everything outside her window covered in a black dust called what?
5. The granddaughter of Lord Finkle-McGraw and the daughter of Hackworth attend a birthday party for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Nell and Harv's General Living Situation," why does Harv warn Nell about bad people, and what does he compare them to?
2. What is the significance of Hackworth's actions in "Hackworth Compiles the Young Lady's Illustrated Primer?"
3. In "From the Primer, the Arrival of a Sinister Baron," when Nell and Harv are abused by their mother's newest lover, Burt, how do both Nell and Miranda use the Primer to help Nell?
4. In "Hackworth Departs from Shanghai," what special reason does Hackworth have for giving a copy of the Primer to Fiona?
5. Compare Judge Fang's treatment of the young boy on trial in "A Young Hooligan before the Court of Judge Fang" with his treatment of Bud earlier in the novel.
6. In "Miranda's Reactions to the Evening's Events," what selfless act does Dinosaur perform and why?
7. In "More Tales from the Primer," what is the significance of the story of Belle, Dojo, and Dinosaur?
8. Describe the emotional state of Hackworth in "Hackworth's Morning Ruminations".
9. In "Mysterious Souvenir from Dr. X," what amazing device does Hackworth receive when he inserts a card into a matter compiler?
10. In "Hackworth Receives an Unexpected Visit from Inspector Chang," how does Chang exhibit Confucian ideals in his dealings with Hackworth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Track the gradually developing mother/daughter relationship between Miranda and Nell as it grows throughout the novel by way of the Primer, culminating in Nell's rescue of Miranda using skills she learned from the Primer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe several ways in which Nell's Primer gives her the parental love, guidance, and protection that Nell never received from her real mother.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the motives of Lord Finkle-McGraw and Hackworth in working to procure Primers for the little girls they love.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)