|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the three girls who possess original Primers is the first to leave the Academy?
(a) Elizabeth and Fiona together.
2. After watching the performance of the theater company on the barge, what does Fiona decide to do?
(a) Join the Fist of Righteous Harmony.
(b) Help her father to seek the Alchemist.
(c) Join the theater company.
(d) Return home to her mother.
3. When a grown-up Nell visits Harv in the Leased Territories, in what condition does she find him?
(a) Harv is linked to a matter compiler that regulates his heartbeat due to heart problems.
(b) Harv breathes through a tube linked to a matter compiler due to respiratory problems.
(c) Harv breathes through a tube linked to a matter compiler due to ingesting too much food made of mites.
(d) Harv's forehead is linked to a matter compiler due to a bad experience at a mod parlor.
4. When Nell sees Colonel Napier falling asleep, what does she decide to do?
(a) Dance for him to gain his trust.
(b) Alter the girls' script to extract information from him.
(c) Serve him special drug-laced biscuits to make him tell the truth.
(d) Check his pockets for information.
5. In the Primer, how many castles must Princess Nell visit to recover what was stolen from her by the crow?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Primer, how does Princess Nell communicate with the Duke of Turing?
2. In the Primer, in the land of king Coyote, what does a crow steal from Princess Nell?
3. What, according to Dr. X, caused the destruction of Chinese society prior to the time of this novel?
4. Where does Brad's friend take Nell and Harv so they can wait for Brad?
5. When Hackworth leaves his ex-wife and daughter, what does his daughter do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Nell Goes to Madame Ping's Theatre," what brings Nell to the conclusion that the wall between reality and fiction is fragile?
2. In "Hackworth Awakes from a Dream," after waking from his dream of multiple sexual encounters and traveling back through the underwater tunnels, what clues does Hackworth find to indicate the passage of time?
3. In "Carl Hollywood Returns from Abroad," when Miranda admits to Carl Hollywood that she thinks of Nell as a daughter, what reaction does Carl Hollywood have?
4. In "Nell's Life at Dovetail," why is Nell not allowed to live with the other girls at Miss Matheson's Academy of the Three Graces?
5. In "From the Primer, Princess Nell Crosses the Trail of the Enigmatic Mouse Army," when grown-up Nell visits her ailing brother, Harv, what message does he share with her?
6. In "A New Friend," what does the red-headed woman explain to Nell and Harv about the activities of the citizens of Dovetail?
7. In "Carl Hollywood's Hack," how do Carl Hollywood's activities in a teahouse begin to tie together the various main characters and plots in the novel?
8. In "General Description of Life with the Constable," why does Constable Moore relive his past experiences through mediatrons?
9. In "Carl Hollywood's Activities at the Parnasse," why is Miranda so interested in the technical aspects of the Primer's interactive features?
10. In "Orphans of the Han...," what does Judge Fang observe when he gives a young Han girl a copy of the Primer?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)