|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men drink ashes at the conclusion of the Drummer ritual?
(a) To fully extinguish the fire.
(b) To increase the flame of passion in their hearts.
(c) Drinking the ashes is much like smoking.
(d) To integrate the sacrificed person with the community.
2. On her deathbed, what does Mrs. Matheson say to Nell?
(a) Nell is destined to become great and she has a secret protector.
(b) Nell is destined to stay at the Academy and she has a secret protector.
(c) Nell is destined to become great and Constable Moore is her secret protector.
(d) Nell is destined to stay at the Academy and she must destroy the Primer.
3. For what purpose does Constable Moore use mediatrons?
(a) To recreate his past with new outcomes.
(b) To play interactive games.
(c) To relive his past as a warrior.
(d) To stay abreast of current events.
4. From a park in Vancouver, Hackworth follows a mysterious woman where?
(a) Underwater caves.
(b) A small cabin.
(c) Dr. X's laboratory.
(d) The beach.
5. At what school does Lord Finkle-McGraw arrange for Nell to study?
(a) Miss McGraw's Academy of the Four Spirits.
(b) Miss Matheson's Academy of the Three Graces.
(c) Miss McGraw's Academy of the Four Graces.
(d) Miss Matheson's Academy of the Three Spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Primer, how does Princess Nell defeat King Coyote?
2. What color hair does Brad's female friend have?
3. What theatrical company is performing on the barge that Hackworth and Fiona board?
4. After Hackworth crawls back through the underwater tunnels to the shore, what clues indicate the passage of time?
5. Who rescues Carl Hollywood from the Fist of Righteous Harmony?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Carl Hollywood Returns from Abroad," when Miranda admits to Carl Hollywood that she thinks of Nell as a daughter, what reaction does Carl Hollywood have?
2. In "Final Onslaught of the Fists," what message does Carl Hollywood receive from the government, and how does he carry out that request?
3. In "Hackworth Awakes from a Dream," after waking from his dream of multiple sexual encounters and traveling back through the underwater tunnels, what clues does Hackworth find to indicate the passage of time?
4. Part Two of the novel opens with what sort of bizarre ritual?
5. In "Hackworth in China," what does Dr. X see as the destruction of Chinese society in the novel?
6. In "Carl Hollywood's Hack," how do Carl Hollywood's activities in a teahouse begin to tie together the various main characters and plots in the novel?
7. In "From the Primer, Princess Nell's Activities as Duchess of Turing," how does Princess Nell become the Duchess of Turing?
8. "From the Primer, Princess Nell's Ride to the Castle of King Coyote" contains what fantastical event that foreshadows future happenings in the novel?
9. In "General Description of Life with the Constable," why does Constable Moore relive his past experiences through mediatrons?
10. In the final scene of the novel when Nell rescues Miranda from the Drummers, how are various subplots tied together into one cohesive whole?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)