|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Dr. X, caused the destruction of Chinese society prior to the time of this novel?
(a) Once fabric came from matter compilers, the people had no need to weave.
(b) Once thought came from the Feed, the people had no need to think.
(c) Once rice came from matter compilers, the people had no need to plant.
(d) Once rice came from the Seed, the people had no need to plant.
2. For how long was Carl Hollywood away in London, prior to the party in honor of his return?
(a) A week.
(b) Two months.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
3. Early in Part Two of the novel, who does Miranda wish to find?
(a) Her "sister," Nell.
(c) Dr. X.
(d) Her "daughter," Nell.
4. In China, Hackworth meets with Dr. X in what sort of building?
(a) The Flea Circus of Dr. X.
(b) A former WalMart.
(c) A former McDonald's.
(d) The courtroom of Judge Fang.
5. After the Drummers take turns with a woman during their ritual, what happens to the woman?
(a) She sits in a corner while the men continue their ritual.
(b) She dances, then leaves the area.
(c) She douses the flames and serves drinks to the men.
(d) She catches fire and burns to ashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Carl Hollywood from the Fist of Righteous Harmony?
2. In the Primer, after Princess Nell outwits King Coyote, what does the King do?
3. In the Primer, Nell encounters an army of mice who ride on what?
4. Describe the woman at the center of the Drummer ritual.
5. Madame Ping, who hires Nell in her first job, runs what sort of establishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Miranda Receives an Unusual Ractive Message," what scheme does she enter into?
2. In "The Hackworths Have a Family Reunion," at the end of the tense meeting between Hackworth and Gwendolyn, what important event occurs?
3. In "Peculiar Practices in the Woods," what does Hackworth explain to his daughter regarding the activities of CryptNet?
4. In "Hackworth Is Brought Up-to-Date by the Great Napier," what does Hackworth realize about the Drummers' activities?
5. In "From the Primer, Princess Nell Enters into the Lands of King Coyote," how does Princess Nell lose her last two remaining magical friends?
6. In "From the Primer, Princess Nell Crosses the Trail of the Enigmatic Mouse Army," when grown-up Nell visits her ailing brother, Harv, what message does he share with her?
7. In "Hackworth in China," what is ironic about the revelations that Dr. X makes to Hackworth?
8. In "The Hackworths in Transit, and in London," what surreal event do Hackworth and Fiona encounter on a barge, and how do their lives change as a result?
9. In "Hackworth in China," what does Dr. X see as the destruction of Chinese society in the novel?
10. "From the Primer, Princess Nell's Ride to the Castle of King Coyote" contains what fantastical event that foreshadows future happenings in the novel?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)