|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Leased Territories, where do Nell and Harv sleep during their first night on the run?
(a) A lake shore.
(b) The seaside.
(c) The woods.
(d) The jungle.
2. What is the common name for the grid of microscopic sensors implanted in the bodies of ractors?
(a) A full Angelina.
(b) A full Demi.
(c) A full Jodie.
(d) A full Julie.
3. In "Hackworth's Morning Ruminations," what happens to ensure that Hackworth cannot change his mind about carrying out his secret plan?
(a) Hackworth's wife overhears that he intends to bring her a special surprise.
(b) Hackworth's wife announces that there is not enough money in their bank account to pay their bills.
(c) Hackworth's daughter overhears that he intends to bring her a special surprise.
(d) Hackworth reads in the Times that he is being pursued by guards.
4. Lord Finkle-McGraw commissioned the Primer for his granddaughter for what reason?
(a) To improve her reading skills.
(b) To raise her with some subversive culture.
(c) She wanted one for her birthday.
(d) To help him communicate with her over long distances.
5. When Harv brings a stolen Primer to Nell, why does she throw it on the floor?
(a) The Primer begins telling the story of a girl named Elizabeth.
(b) The Primer begins telling the story of a girl named Fiona.
(c) She does not want her mother's boyfriend to see the book.
(d) She does not want her brother to give her stolen property.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nell do with the matter compiler after her brother leaves the house?
2. What do the guards do to incapacitate Bud, after his assault and robbery, until the constable arrives?
3. Hackworth and Lord Finkle-McGraw communicate easily because they are both members of what?
4. When Chang shows the robbery video to Hackworth, in which his illegal copy of the Primer was stolen, what does Hackworth do?
5. What is the function of Source Victoria?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Hackworth's Dilemma," what is Hackworth's dilemma?
2. What is "toner", as described in "Nell Sees Something Peculiar?"
3. In "From the Primer, the Arrival of a Sinister Baron," when Nell and Harv are abused by their mother's newest lover, Burt, how do both Nell and Miranda use the Primer to help Nell?
4. As explained in "Hackworth in the Hong of Dr. X," why does Dr. X have such an unusual name, and what is his profession?
5. In "Hackworth Departs from Shanghai," what special reason does Hackworth have for giving a copy of the Primer to Fiona?
6. Compare Judge Fang's treatment of the young boy on trial in "A Young Hooligan before the Court of Judge Fang" with his treatment of Bud earlier in the novel.
7. In "More Tales from the Primer," what is the significance of the story of Belle, Dojo, and Dinosaur?
8. In "Particulars of Nell's Domestic Situation," what happens when Harv brings home a scrap of woven fabric he found by the sea?
9. In "Judge Fang Goes for a Dinner Cruise," how does Dr. X first confirm the loyalty of Judge Fang, then place him in a dilemma?
10. In "Mysterious Souvenir from Dr. X," what amazing device does Hackworth receive when he inserts a card into a matter compiler?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)