|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Primer, how many castles must Princess Nell visit to recover what was stolen from her by the crow?
2. What sort of work does Nell want to do in Madame Ping's establishment?
(a) Perform as a ractor.
(b) Perform as a prostitute.
(c) Brew tea.
(d) Write scripts.
3. From a park in Vancouver, Hackworth follows a mysterious woman where?
(a) The beach.
(b) Underwater caves.
(c) Dr. X's laboratory.
(d) A small cabin.
4. After Nell reads in the Primer that Princess Nell is not really of royal descent, what happens to Nell?
(a) She is kidnapped and tortured by girls friendly to the Fists, then rescued by her soldiers who hail her as Queen.
(b) She is hailed as Queen by her soldiers, then kidnapped and tortured by the Victorians.
(c) She is hailed as Queen by her soldiers, then kidnapped and tortured by the Fists.
(d) She is kidnapped and tortured by girls friendly to Cryptnet, then rescued by her soldiers who hail her as Queen.
5. After being released from his dream-like prison, what does Hackworth realize about the Drummers?
(a) The Drummers use sex to exchange molecules of data.
(b) The Drummers use sex to exchange biological imprints.
(c) The Drummers use poetry to exchange musical theories.
(d) The Drummers use music to exchange molecules of data.
6. Describe the woman at the center of the Drummer ritual.
(a) She is naked and covered in light tattoos.
(b) She wears a robe of blue silk and carries a drum.
(c) She carries a golden sword.
(d) She has a skull gun and red hair.
7. What is the name of Rita's horse?
8. Dr. X tells Hackworth that his years with the Drummers served what purpose?
(a) To prevent Judge Fang from executing Hackworth for his crimes.
(b) To integrate Hackworth's technical knowledge with the rest of the Drummers.
(c) To distract Lord Finkle-McGraw from Dr. X's other activities.
(d) To keep Hackworth from disabling the Primer.
9. How do the Primers that are given to the many Han girls differ from Nell's Primer?
(a) Thinner and made with low-quality materials.
(b) Artificial Intelligence rather than a ractor.
(c) No difference.
(d) No gold lettering on the covers.
10. On her deathbed, what does Mrs. Matheson say to Nell?
(a) Nell is destined to stay at the Academy and she has a secret protector.
(b) Nell is destined to stay at the Academy and she must destroy the Primer.
(c) Nell is destined to become great and Constable Moore is her secret protector.
(d) Nell is destined to become great and she has a secret protector.
11. In China, Hackworth meets with Dr. X in what sort of building?
(a) The Flea Circus of Dr. X.
(b) The courtroom of Judge Fang.
(c) A former WalMart.
(d) A former McDonald's.
12. When Carl Hollywood finds Nell near the end of the novel, what is she doing?
(a) Calling on the Queen of the Seed.
(b) Calling on the Queen of the Mouse Army.
(c) Calling on the Queen of the Drummers.
(d) Calling on the Queen of the Fists.
13. The workers of Dovetail produce goods for whom?
(a) The Parsis.
(b) The Thetes.
(c) The Victorians.
(d) The Ashantis.
14. When Hackworth leaves his ex-wife and daughter, what does his daughter do?
(a) She runs to her room and cries.
(b) She communicates her feelings for Hackworth through her Primer.
(c) She jumps on his mechanical horse and leaves with him.
(d) She tells Gwendolyn that she and Hackworth should remarry.
15. In the Primer, how does Princess Nell communicate with the Duke of Turing?
(a) Using chains, music, and tertiary commands.
(b) Using songs, poetry, and binary commands.
(c) Using strings, poetry, and tertiary commands.
(d) Using chains, poetry, and binary commands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theatrical company is performing on the barge that Hackworth and Fiona board?
2. In "General Description of Life with the Constable," what lesson does Constable Moore teach Nell?
3. After leaving Dr. X to travel to Shanghai, who does Hackworth find himself riding with?
4. What, according to Dr. X, caused the destruction of Chinese society prior to the time of this novel?
5. What does Hackworth realize after watching a theatrical performance on a barge?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)