|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of the character in the answer to #139?
2. During the party, which character returns to his sleeping bag and decides to sleep alone?
3. Where does Ray hitchhike to after leaving his mother's house?
4. From where does Japhy say that he and Ray will be able to see the whole white city of San Francisco?
5. What do the men in the town wish they could also do in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. For how long does Ray continue to meditate in the woods?
2. What does Ray realize during one of his meditations he is empowered to do?
3. What does Ray realize as he settles into his position in the middle of the woods?
4. What does Rheinhold Cacoethes do during the going away party for Japhy?
5. For how long do Japhy and Ray stay away from the party on their hike?
6. How does Ray help his mother and her illness?
7. How does Ray get from Los Angeles to San Francisco as he searches for Japhy's shack?
8. What do Ray and Japhy do when they begin to get bored of the party?
9. What does Ray want to do when Japhy suggests they go to the lecture and discussion session?
10. What does Japhy's father do when he arrives at the party for Japhy's going away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The suicide of Rosie is a tragic part of this story, though it seems to be a necessary evil within the story as well.
Part 1: Describe the circumstances of Rosie's suicide.
Part 2: Who might be to blame for her suicide? Who might have been able to stop her?
Part 3: What are the consequences of Rosie's suicide?
Essay Topic 2
The voice of the narrator is always a concern for a novel. Since the author's own life and opinions often influence the narration, the narrator's voice must be questioned.
Part 1: Who is the narrator of this novel?
Part 2: What does the narrator bring to the story and the telling of the story?
Part 3: How does this particular narrator affect the telling of the story? Is he/she a positive or negative influence on the story telling? Is he/she they trustworthy?
Essay Topic 3
Within the friendship of Ray and Japhys lies gray area in which they are not as friendly as they seem, at times.
Part 1: Describe Ray's feelings towards Japhys throughout the novel. How do they change? What is the eventual feeling Ray has for Japhy?
Part 2: How might one describe the relationship between these two men?
Part 3: Does the relationship between these two men seem to be convincing? Why or why not?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)