|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps to clear away the fog during the day?
2. Who do the men around him tell stories of when they realize who Ray knows?
3. Why don't the men do the thing that is the answer to #94? What are they afraid of being seen as?
4. Where do Japhy and one of the owners of the house work during the day?
5. What kind of writer has Ray gained a reputation as being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray hear Japhy wants to do with his life at this time?
2. What does Ray realize about himself once he arrives at his summer job?
3. How does Ray get from El Paso to Los Angeles?
4. What does Ray refuse to do at a wild party at Sean and Christine's house?
5. What does Ray realize during one of his meditations he is empowered to do?
6. How does Ray help his mother and her illness?
7. What does Ray dream about when he is sleeping during the night after Japhy and he begin their hike?
8. As Japhy and Ray catch up a bit, what does Ray seem to feel about Japhy's demeanor?
9. What does Ray's brother-in-law think about his time in the woods and in the house?
10. What is Japhy's reaction to Rhoda's fiance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Settling into one area seems to be something Ray is unable to do, preferring instead to travel from one location to the next as his moods dictate.
Part 1: What does the idea of always moving seem to say about Ray?
Part 2: Do you think Ray is truly a wanderer or someone who is always trying to run away from his life? Why?
Part 3: What does the wandering of Ray seem to say about the idea of being still? What does the author seem to be saying about staying in one place?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of simplicity is another obvious idea that is tested and acknowledged as the story continues.
Part 1: What are Ray's ideas about simplicity? What are Japhy's ideas about simplicity?
Part 2: What are some examples of Ray and Japhy's adherence to simplicity?
Part 3: Why is living simply preferable to living any other way, according to these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Ray states that one of the most important traits one can have is to give to others, yet he does not always seem to be able to do this. Japhy, on the other hand, seems to be quite willing and able to give of himself.
Part 1: Why does Ray think charity is the most important virtues?
Part 2: In what ways does Ray bring charity into his own life?
Part 3: In what ways is Japhy able to bring charity into his life as well as into Ray's life?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)