|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city in Mexico does Ray walk to, finding people and drinking and smoking marijuana with them?
2. To what do Ray's mother and sister want him to return?
3. What does Ray learn how to dig when he undergoes his training as a fire spotter?
4. Who offers snide comments about other writers and poets?
5. What does Ray tell those that ask him about his peculiar habits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One's perception of one's self can often to lead to decisions that are based on image, rather than internal desire.
Part 1: In this story, how does Ray's perception of himself affect the way he lives his life?
Part 2: In this story, how does Japhy's reception of himself affect the way he chooses to live his life?
Part 3: Is it a good idea to make decisions based on how you want to be perceived? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In a sense, one could say that Japhy and Ray are 'fighting' a war against the traditional culture and the way 'normal' people live their lives.
Part 1: Describe the culture Japhy and Ray want to oppose in the way they live their lives.
Part 2: Why do Japhy and Ray oppose the way one particular class lives their lives?
Part 3: What do you think Japhy and Ray see as the best possible way of living one's life?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide of Rosie is a tragic part of this story, though it seems to be a necessary evil within the story as well.
Part 1: Describe the circumstances of Rosie's suicide.
Part 2: Who might be to blame for her suicide? Who might have been able to stop her?
Part 3: What are the consequences of Rosie's suicide?
This section contains 1,755 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)