|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ray sleep after being pursued by a young homosexual man?
2. Who comes with Japhy's sister when she visits him?
3. Who decides to sleep outside in the shack?
4. What does Ray tell those that ask him about his peculiar habits?
5. Ray realizes, "it was _____ not the void that changed."
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Ray's lookout location to be situated?
2. What realization does Ray have that truly makes him feel free?
3. What do Ray and Japhy do to help out Sean as he is providing accommodations for the both of them?
4. What do Ray and Japhy do when they begin to get bored of the party?
5. What does Ray realize as he settles into his position in the middle of the woods?
6. What does Ray realize about himself once he arrives at his summer job?
7. How does Ray get from El Paso to Los Angeles?
8. As Japhy and Ray catch up a bit, what does Ray seem to feel about Japhy's demeanor?
9. Where is Ray's future job during the summer months?
10. What does Ray realize he misses when he goes to Juarez and meets some people for drinking and smoking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea that you can't fall off a mountain is a glorious realization for Ray as he is climbing on the mountain with Japhy.
Part 1: Describe the moment when Ray finally understands the idea of not being able to fall off the mountain.
Part 2: What does this realization really mean to Ray?
Part 3: What does Japhy interpret this realization to mean?
Essay Topic 2
One's perception of one's self can often to lead to decisions that are based on image, rather than internal desire.
Part 1: In this story, how does Ray's perception of himself affect the way he lives his life?
Part 2: In this story, how does Japhy's reception of himself affect the way he chooses to live his life?
Part 3: Is it a good idea to make decisions based on how you want to be perceived? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Settling into one area seems to be something Ray is unable to do, preferring instead to travel from one location to the next as his moods dictate.
Part 1: What does the idea of always moving seem to say about Ray?
Part 2: Do you think Ray is truly a wanderer or someone who is always trying to run away from his life? Why?
Part 3: What does the wandering of Ray seem to say about the idea of being still? What does the author seem to be saying about staying in one place?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)