|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ray sleep after being pursued by a young homosexual man?
2. Who cooks dinner for the owners of the house and for Japhy?
3. Who teases Ray about being the lazy one in the house?
4. Ray realizes, "it was _____ not the void that changed."
5. What was the name of Japhy's girlfriend that tries to go to Japan with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray realize during one of his meditations he is empowered to do?
2. Where is Ray's lookout location to be situated?
3. Where is Japhy living when Ray finally finds him along his journey?
4. What does Ray want to do when Japhy suggests they go to the lecture and discussion session?
5. What does Ray realize he misses when he goes to Juarez and meets some people for drinking and smoking?
6. What does Ray hear Japhy wants to do with his life at this time?
7. How does Ray get from Los Angeles to San Francisco as he searches for Japhy's shack?
8. What is Japhy's reaction to Rhoda's fiance?
9. What does Ray do as he stays in the shack behind Sean and Christine's home?
10. What does Ray realize about himself once he arrives at his summer job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ray states that one of the most important traits one can have is to give to others, yet he does not always seem to be able to do this. Japhy, on the other hand, seems to be quite willing and able to give of himself.
Part 1: Why does Ray think charity is the most important virtues?
Part 2: In what ways does Ray bring charity into his own life?
Part 3: In what ways is Japhy able to bring charity into his life as well as into Ray's life?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Ray seems to be almost a student of Japhy's, listening to everything he says and watching everything Japhy does.
Part 1: What does Ray want to learn from Japhy at the beginning of the manuscript?
Part 2: Is Japhy comfortable with the role of being a teacher? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Japhy have to learn from Ray, as the story progresses?
Essay Topic 3
In a sense, one could say that Japhy and Ray are 'fighting' a war against the traditional culture and the way 'normal' people live their lives.
Part 1: Describe the culture Japhy and Ray want to oppose in the way they live their lives.
Part 2: Why do Japhy and Ray oppose the way one particular class lives their lives?
Part 3: What do you think Japhy and Ray see as the best possible way of living one's life?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)