|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ray and Japhy decide to do when they become bored of the party?
2. What was the name of Japhy's girlfriend that tries to go to Japan with him?
3. The local man says they spend all their time trying to appear __________.
4. Ray realizes while watching the weather that he doesn't know __________ anymore.
5. Where does Ray sleep after being pursued by a young homosexual man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Japhy's father do when he arrives at the party for Japhy's going away?
2. How does Ray get from El Paso to Los Angeles?
3. What does Ray realize he misses when he goes to Juarez and meets some people for drinking and smoking?
4. What do Ray and Japhy do when they begin to get bored of the party?
5. What does Ray do as he stays in the shack behind Sean and Christine's home?
6. As Japhy and Ray catch up a bit, what does Ray seem to feel about Japhy's demeanor?
7. What does Ray hear Japhy wants to do with his life at this time?
8. What realization does Ray have that truly makes him feel free?
9. What does Ray dream about when he is sleeping during the night after Japhy and he begin their hike?
10. What does Ray want to do when Japhy suggests they go to the lecture and discussion session?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbolic actions in this story that seem to tell the reader more about the character than the narrative actually does.
Part 1: What might be the symbolism of Ray going up the mountain with Japhy? What is the purpose of this trip?
Part 2: What is the purpose and the symbolism of Ray going up Desolation Peak by himself?
Part 3: What does Japhy's eventual journey to Japan seem to symbolize about his growth and his direction in life?
Essay Topic 2
The spontaneous life of Ray is one that some readers admire and other readers abhor. The ability to move from one place to another, one idea to another is freeing and yet it creates the sensation of never being grounded.
Part 1: What are some examples of Ray's spontaneous way of life?
Part 2: How are Ray's beliefs also spontaneous? In what ways do his beliefs shift?
Part 3: Would you like to live the way Ray does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Within the friendship of Ray and Japhys lies gray area in which they are not as friendly as they seem, at times.
Part 1: Describe Ray's feelings towards Japhys throughout the novel. How do they change? What is the eventual feeling Ray has for Japhy?
Part 2: How might one describe the relationship between these two men?
Part 3: Does the relationship between these two men seem to be convincing? Why or why not?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)