|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps to clear away the fog during the day?
2. What does Ray tell Japhy he wants more than anything else in the world at one particular moment?
3. Who notices Ray's peculiar habit of spending long periods alone in the woods?
4. Some of the partygoers decide to ________, which Ray finds amusing.
5. What is the profession of the person who comments that El Paso gets 360 days of sunshine a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. For how long do Japhy and Ray stay away from the party on their hike?
2. What does a local confide to Ray when the two become drunk together?
3. What does Ray want to do when Japhy suggests they go to the lecture and discussion session?
4. Why does Japhy want to introduce Ray to some friends at a lecture and discussion session?
5. How does Ray help his mother and her illness?
6. What does Japhy do with his girlfriend who tries to board the boat with him to Japan?
7. How does Ray get from Los Angeles to San Francisco as he searches for Japhy's shack?
8. Where is Ray's lookout location to be situated?
9. What do Ray and Japhy do to help out Sean as he is providing accommodations for the both of them?
10. Where is Ray's future job during the summer months?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The various settings of the story seem to convey different moods for the story. From beginning to end, the environments of the characters inform the characters themselves and vice versa.
Part 1: List three of the settings within the story.
Part 2: What is the mood of each of these settings?
Part 3: How does the mood of the story change from beginning to end? Reference different settings as they relate to these shifts in moods.
Essay Topic 2
One of the basic tenets of Buddhism is the practice of compassion for others. In giving of one's self, one can attain true enlightenment and peace.
Part 1: How do the characters in the story define the idea of compassion?
Part 2: Describe at least two instances in which one character is compassionate to another character.
Part 3: Do the characters in the story seem to be able to be compassionate to each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Settling into one area seems to be something Ray is unable to do, preferring instead to travel from one location to the next as his moods dictate.
Part 1: What does the idea of always moving seem to say about Ray?
Part 2: Do you think Ray is truly a wanderer or someone who is always trying to run away from his life? Why?
Part 3: What does the wandering of Ray seem to say about the idea of being still? What does the author seem to be saying about staying in one place?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)