|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The answer to #139 says that _________ is no good as a writer because he is always drunk.
2. To what do Ray's mother and sister want him to return?
3. What do Ray and Japhy do in order to help Sean?
4. Who becomes irritated with Ray's lack of a productive job?
5. Who do the men around him tell stories of when they realize who Ray knows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray realize as he settles into his position in the middle of the woods?
2. What realization does Ray have that truly makes him feel free?
3. For how long does Ray continue to meditate in the woods?
4. What does Ray hear Japhy wants to do with his life at this time?
5. What does Japhy's father do when he arrives at the party for Japhy's going away?
6. What does Ray's brother-in-law think about his time in the woods and in the house?
7. What does Ray dream about when he is sleeping during the night after Japhy and he begin their hike?
8. What does Ray realize he misses when he goes to Juarez and meets some people for drinking and smoking?
9. What does Ray realize about himself once he arrives at his summer job?
10. What does Ray do as he stays in the shack behind Sean and Christine's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The suicide of Rosie is a tragic part of this story, though it seems to be a necessary evil within the story as well.
Part 1: Describe the circumstances of Rosie's suicide.
Part 2: Who might be to blame for her suicide? Who might have been able to stop her?
Part 3: What are the consequences of Rosie's suicide?
Essay Topic 2
Ray states that one of the most important traits one can have is to give to others, yet he does not always seem to be able to do this. Japhy, on the other hand, seems to be quite willing and able to give of himself.
Part 1: Why does Ray think charity is the most important virtues?
Part 2: In what ways does Ray bring charity into his own life?
Part 3: In what ways is Japhy able to bring charity into his life as well as into Ray's life?
Essay Topic 3
The various settings of the story seem to convey different moods for the story. From beginning to end, the environments of the characters inform the characters themselves and vice versa.
Part 1: List three of the settings within the story.
Part 2: What is the mood of each of these settings?
Part 3: How does the mood of the story change from beginning to end? Reference different settings as they relate to these shifts in moods.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)