|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a large party being planned for as he is going away soon?
2. Who do the men around him tell stories of when they realize who Ray knows?
3. What does Ray refuse to give into, despite the temptation?
4. What does Ray find outside of his cabin in the morning that makes him wonder if anyone can spot anything?
5. What is the place where Ray will be staying in order to spot fires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ray and Japhy do to help out Sean as he is providing accommodations for the both of them?
2. What does Ray realize as he settles into his position in the middle of the woods?
3. What is Japhy's reaction to Rhoda's fiance?
4. How does Ray get from El Paso to Los Angeles?
5. What does Japhy do with his girlfriend who tries to board the boat with him to Japan?
6. Why does Japhy want to introduce Ray to some friends at a lecture and discussion session?
7. What does Ray want to do when Japhy suggests they go to the lecture and discussion session?
8. What does Ray realize about himself once he arrives at his summer job?
9. What does Ray's brother-in-law think about his time in the woods and in the house?
10. As Japhy and Ray catch up a bit, what does Ray seem to feel about Japhy's demeanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ray states that one of the most important traits one can have is to give to others, yet he does not always seem to be able to do this. Japhy, on the other hand, seems to be quite willing and able to give of himself.
Part 1: Why does Ray think charity is the most important virtues?
Part 2: In what ways does Ray bring charity into his own life?
Part 3: In what ways is Japhy able to bring charity into his life as well as into Ray's life?
Essay Topic 2
The suicide of Rosie is a tragic part of this story, though it seems to be a necessary evil within the story as well.
Part 1: Describe the circumstances of Rosie's suicide.
Part 2: Who might be to blame for her suicide? Who might have been able to stop her?
Part 3: What are the consequences of Rosie's suicide?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of 'yabyum' is one that is not only mysterious in the beginning of the story, but also even more mysterious as it is 'revealed' to Ray.
Part 1: How is the idea of yabyum defined by Japhy?
Part 2: How is Ray introduced to the idea of yabyum?
Part 3: Does yabyum seem to be truly experienced by these men? Or is it just an excuse to have sex as often as possible? Why or why not?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)