|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ray realizes he is empowered to remind people they are ______.
2. To where does Ray hitchhike because he does not enjoy the trip with the drunk driver?
3. To what city in Mexico does Ray walk to, finding people and drinking and smoking marijuana with them?
4. During the party, which character returns to his sleeping bag and decides to sleep alone?
5. How does Ray get from Bremerton, Washington, over to Seattle, Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray hear Japhy wants to do with his life at this time?
2. For how long does Ray continue to meditate in the woods?
3. What does a local confide to Ray when the two become drunk together?
4. What is Japhy's reaction to Rhoda's fiance?
5. Describe Rhoda's fiance as Ray sees him at their first meeting.
6. Where is Ray's lookout location to be situated?
7. Where is Japhy living when Ray finally finds him along his journey?
8. What do Ray and Japhy do when they begin to get bored of the party?
9. What does Ray realize during one of his meditations he is empowered to do?
10. Why does Japhy want to introduce Ray to some friends at a lecture and discussion session?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The spontaneous life of Ray is one that some readers admire and other readers abhor. The ability to move from one place to another, one idea to another is freeing and yet it creates the sensation of never being grounded.
Part 1: What are some examples of Ray's spontaneous way of life?
Part 2: How are Ray's beliefs also spontaneous? In what ways do his beliefs shift?
Part 3: Would you like to live the way Ray does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ray states that one of the most important traits one can have is to give to others, yet he does not always seem to be able to do this. Japhy, on the other hand, seems to be quite willing and able to give of himself.
Part 1: Why does Ray think charity is the most important virtues?
Part 2: In what ways does Ray bring charity into his own life?
Part 3: In what ways is Japhy able to bring charity into his life as well as into Ray's life?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide of Rosie is a tragic part of this story, though it seems to be a necessary evil within the story as well.
Part 1: Describe the circumstances of Rosie's suicide.
Part 2: Who might be to blame for her suicide? Who might have been able to stop her?
Part 3: What are the consequences of Rosie's suicide?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)