|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the partygoers decide to ________, which Ray finds amusing.
2. How many days has Ray been up at Desolation Peak?
3. How does Ray get from Bremerton, Washington, over to Seattle, Washington?
4. Who offers snide comments about other writers and poets?
5. From where does Japhy say that he and Ray will be able to see the whole white city of San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rhoda's fiance as Ray sees him at their first meeting.
2. Why does Japhy want to introduce Ray to some friends at a lecture and discussion session?
3. Where is Ray's future job during the summer months?
4. What do Ray and Japhy do when they begin to get bored of the party?
5. What does Ray refuse to do at a wild party at Sean and Christine's house?
6. What is the vision Ray has in the fog while at Desolation Peak?
7. For how long does Ray continue to meditate in the woods?
8. What does Ray want to do when Japhy suggests they go to the lecture and discussion session?
9. What does Japhy do with his girlfriend who tries to board the boat with him to Japan?
10. What does Ray dream about when he is sleeping during the night after Japhy and he begin their hike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One might say the sexualized descriptions of the women in this story are an indication of Kerouac's own feelings about women and his own perceptions of women.
Part 1: Describe the female characters who are introduced in this novel.
Part 2: What are the motivations of these women, as one can tell from reading about their actions? What does this say about the author's feelings about women?
Part 3: Which female character is the most important to the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of 'yabyum' is one that is not only mysterious in the beginning of the story, but also even more mysterious as it is 'revealed' to Ray.
Part 1: How is the idea of yabyum defined by Japhy?
Part 2: How is Ray introduced to the idea of yabyum?
Part 3: Does yabyum seem to be truly experienced by these men? Or is it just an excuse to have sex as often as possible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ray states that one of the most important traits one can have is to give to others, yet he does not always seem to be able to do this. Japhy, on the other hand, seems to be quite willing and able to give of himself.
Part 1: Why does Ray think charity is the most important virtues?
Part 2: In what ways does Ray bring charity into his own life?
Part 3: In what ways is Japhy able to bring charity into his life as well as into Ray's life?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)