|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices Ray's peculiar habit of spending long periods alone in the woods?
2. What is the first name of Japhy's sister who comes to visit?
3. Where does Japhy intend to travel in order to study for a long period of time?
4. During the party, which character returns to his sleeping bag and decides to sleep alone?
5. How much did the big Texan with a sombrero want from Ray for a ride to Los Angeles, even though Ray only had $4 to offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rheinhold Cacoethes do during the going away party for Japhy?
2. Where is Japhy living when Ray finally finds him along his journey?
3. How does Ray get from El Paso to Los Angeles?
4. What does Ray want to do when Japhy suggests they go to the lecture and discussion session?
5. Where is Ray's lookout location to be situated?
6. How does Ray help his mother and her illness?
7. What does Ray dream about when he is sleeping during the night after Japhy and he begin their hike?
8. What is the vision Ray has in the fog while at Desolation Peak?
9. For how long does Ray continue to meditate in the woods?
10. What does Japhy do with his girlfriend who tries to board the boat with him to Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, Ray seems to be almost a student of Japhy's, listening to everything he says and watching everything Japhy does.
Part 1: What does Ray want to learn from Japhy at the beginning of the manuscript?
Part 2: Is Japhy comfortable with the role of being a teacher? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Japhy have to learn from Ray, as the story progresses?
Essay Topic 2
The idea that you can't fall off a mountain is a glorious realization for Ray as he is climbing on the mountain with Japhy.
Part 1: Describe the moment when Ray finally understands the idea of not being able to fall off the mountain.
Part 2: What does this realization really mean to Ray?
Part 3: What does Japhy interpret this realization to mean?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide of Rosie is a tragic part of this story, though it seems to be a necessary evil within the story as well.
Part 1: Describe the circumstances of Rosie's suicide.
Part 2: Who might be to blame for her suicide? Who might have been able to stop her?
Part 3: What are the consequences of Rosie's suicide?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)