|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which university does Ray live near?
2. What does Japhy claim to have learned about from Ray?
3. What does Morley do in order to show the other men where he is on the trail?
4. What does the girlfriend in #64 rant about as Ray sits with her?
5. In what city in Mexico does Ray decide to have lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Henry Morley.
2. What does Ray ask Japhy to help him do once Ray receives money?
3. Why doesn't Ray decide to camp in Mexico when he arrives?
4. Where does Ray decide to sleep once he arrives at his mother's house?
5. What does Morley forget that makes him fall behind in the hiking, though Japhy and Ray continue on without him anyway?
6. How do Japhy and Ray find Morley again?
7. How well prepared does Ray feel at the end of his shopping excursion with Japhy?
8. How does Ray feel once they have reached a higher point of elevation as they hike up to Matterhorn?
9. What kinds of stores do Japhy and Ray go to in order to find the best hiking equipment?
10. What does a transient in Riverside warn Ray about once he arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, Ray seems to be almost a student of Japhy's, listening to everything he says and watching everything Japhy does.
Part 1: What does Ray want to learn from Japhy at the beginning of the manuscript?
Part 2: Is Japhy comfortable with the role of being a teacher? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Japhy have to learn from Ray, as the story progresses?
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbolic actions in this story that seem to tell the reader more about the character than the narrative actually does.
Part 1: What might be the symbolism of Ray going up the mountain with Japhy? What is the purpose of this trip?
Part 2: What is the purpose and the symbolism of Ray going up Desolation Peak by himself?
Part 3: What does Japhy's eventual journey to Japan seem to symbolize about his growth and his direction in life?
Essay Topic 3
The idea that you can't fall off a mountain is a glorious realization for Ray as he is climbing on the mountain with Japhy.
Part 1: Describe the moment when Ray finally understands the idea of not being able to fall off the mountain.
Part 2: What does this realization really mean to Ray?
Part 3: What does Japhy interpret this realization to mean?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)