|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Ray staying before he arrives in Los Angeles at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Ray see as being the only decent activity left in the world?
(a) To pray
(b) To hike
(c) To think
(d) To meditate
3. Whose shoes does Ray borrow when his feet become very sore?
(c) No one's - he goes barefoot
4. Where did the girlfriend in #64 finally go in order to kill herself?
(a) The kitchen
(b) The sidewalk
(c) The roof
(d) The bathroom
5. What does Ray realize about the time of year when he is traveling around?
(a) It is nearly Christmas.
(b) It is clear.
(c) It is cooler.
(d) It is the time of year right before summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is cantankerous, wanting to stop for frequent rests?
2. What does Alvah later refer to as the activity with Princess, Japhy, Ray and himself ?
3. Where does the truck driver say he will take Ray to in exchange for Ray showing him around Mexico?
4. Who is given more than half of the food during the dinnertime hour?
5. What kind of writer is Ray Smith, the main character and narrator of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the arrangement that Beaudry and Ray work out?
2. How does Ray feel once they have reached a higher point of elevation as they hike up to Matterhorn?
3. Describe the character of Henry Morley.
4. What does Ray notice about Los Angeles as he rides the bus to Riverside?
5. List the four men who sit together at Japhy's small home, drinking wine together and discussing poetry.
6. Why doesn't Ray decide to camp in Mexico when he arrives?
7. Once they reach a beautiful lake along their hike, what does Morley do?
8. How do Japhy and Ray find Morley again?
9. What does a transient in Riverside warn Ray about once he arrives?
10. What is the realization Ray has when he watches the way Japhy descends the mountain?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)