|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Morley's car freeze as it was expected to?
(a) Yes, but the tires deflated
(b) Yes, and the transmission cracked
(c) Yes, but nothing happened
2. Where does Ray hike with his new equipment?
(a) San Francisco
(c) Los Angeles
3. What does Ray find profound as he sits and contemplates the immensity of the mountains?
(b) His mind
(d) The trees
4. From what state does Warren originate?
5. What kind of writer is Ray Smith, the main character and narrator of this story?
6. What does Morley rent from the trail's lodge house?
(a) A few blankets
(b) A new sleeping bag
(c) Trekking poles
(d) Hiking boots
7. What does Japhy use to look at the stars?
(c) Star map
(d) He doesn't
8. Ray finally realizes you can't _________ a mountain.
(a) be higher than
(d) fall off
9. Who offers to give Ray his old sleeping bag cover?
(b) The store owner
10. Who is the backwoods boy who grew up in a log cabin in the woods?
11. Who is given more than half of the food during the dinnertime hour?
(a) No one
12. What does the Buddhist philosophy of sex represent, according to Japhy?
(a) Perfect union
(b) Perfect satisfaction
(c) Perfect lust
(d) Perfect need
13. Who wrestles with Ray, leaving large holes in the walls of the house?
14. Who does Ray spend time with when the rest of the family is gone for the day?
(c) His old friends
15. Who decides to remain at the lake in order to sleep for the night instead of continuing the hike?
(c) No one
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Ray staying before he arrives in Los Angeles at the beginning of the story?
2. What do the police consider to be an arresting offense, according to the bum Ray meets?
3. What does Ray realize about the time of year when he is traveling around?
4. What is Ray concerned about as he and Japhy begin to go on a hike together?
5. Ray thinks Buddhism and Christianity truly are aspects of _________ reality.
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)