|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ray realize about the time of year when he is traveling around?
(a) It is cooler.
(b) It is clear.
(c) It is nearly Christmas.
(d) It is the time of year right before summer.
2. What do the police consider to be an arresting offense, according to the bum Ray meets?
3. What breaks the silence between Ray and Japhy as they continue to hike the mountain?
(b) A loud crash
4. What kind of writer is Ray Smith, the main character and narrator of this story?
5. What does Morley rent from the trail's lodge house?
(a) A few blankets
(b) A new sleeping bag
(c) Trekking poles
(d) Hiking boots
6. Where does Ray hike with his new equipment?
(a) San Francisco
(d) Los Angeles
7. Ray wishes he could have taught the girlfriend in #64 about the illusory nature of _________.
8. Ray thinks Buddhism and Christianity truly are aspects of _________ reality.
(d) a single
9. Who decides to remain at the lake in order to sleep for the night instead of continuing the hike?
(c) No one
10. What does Japhy say he and Ray will follow in order to find their way through the boulders?
11. At what time do the three men begin the summit attempt at Matterhorn?
12. How far ahead does Japhy get from Ray and Morley?
(a) 3 feet
(b) 1 mile
(c) 1/2 mile
(d) 10 feet
13. What is the profession of Henry Morley?
(d) Police officer
14. To what city does Ray buy a bus ticket after he sleeps in a ditch several miles outside of Los Angeles?
(d) San Francisco
15. Where did the girlfriend in #64 finally go in order to kill herself?
(a) The bathroom
(b) The kitchen
(c) The roof
(d) The sidewalk
Short Answer Questions
1. What color of eyes does Princess have?
2. How many men get together at Japhy's small house?
3. Who starts the fire when the men wake up in the morning?
4. What mountain are the men about to hike?
5. What do the bums tell Ray there is good money to be made prospecting?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)