1. The Rules of the Game
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Urrea, Luis Alberto. The Devil's Highway: A True Story. Little, Brown and Company, 2005. 2nd edition paperback, April 2014.
• After the table of contents and before page 1, the book includes an author's note explaining Urrea's research process and the reasons for his inability to interview the survivors of the book's events.
• After the author's note and before page 1, the book includes a map of the Devil's Highway, annotated to document the times and dates when the survivors of the book's events arrived at certain landmarks.
• The title page for Part One: Cutting the Drag is on page 1 and Chapter 1. The Rules of the Game begins on page 3.
• The chapter opens with a description of men wandering through a desert, suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration as they search for relief.
• The men...
This section contains 3,755 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)