|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives with Will and Belle?
2. What does Hannah complain that all Jewish holidays are about?
3. Who knocks on the door when Hannah is having breakfast?
4. Who is the rabbi's favorite child?
5. Who says the Nazis will prevent the marriage of Shmuel and Fayge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Hannah when the villagers climb into the Nazis trucks?
2. What do Hannah's friends question about Rabbi Boruch?
3. Discuss the role of Elijah at the ceremony of Seder.
4. What holiday does Hannah celebrate at the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Hannah think about the badchan?
6. Who is Yitzchak and what is his role in Chapter 5?
7. What do some of the villagers say they have heard about the resettlement of the Jews?
8. Discuss Hannah's thoughts on the breakfast she has in Chapter 5.
9. What are Hannah's thoughts about her Aunt Eva?
10. What happens when Hannah says someone needs to do something to stop the Nazis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss theme. What is the theme of the novel and how does the novel fall into this theme?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of helplessness is a strong foil in the story. How does helplessness prove to be a foil and what are the consequences of this foil?
Essay Topic 3
The genre of the novel is ___. Why does the book fall into this genre? Give at least three examples in order to justify your response.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)