|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does the train holding the Jewish villagers stop on its trip?
(b) Every hour.
(c) Three times.
2. Why do the women make a signal noise when the Commandant arrives?
(a) To signal the children to attack the Commandant.
(b) To signal the children to run to the midden.
(c) To signal the children to hide behind them.
(d) To signal the children to stand in line and stand up straight.
3. Who does Eva say changed their name when coming to America?
(a) Grandpa Will.
(b) Aunt Rose.
(d) Grandma Belle.
4. What is done with the passengers that die while in the boxcars?
(a) They burn them.
(b) They shoot them.
(c) They are thrown by the soldiers onto a siding.
(d) They steal their clothes.
5. What does the sign read in German that stands over the gate where the Jewish villagers are taken?
(a) Death to Jews.
(b) Alive or dead.
(c) Work makes you free.
(d) Work or die.
6. What happens on the third day in the concentration camp?
(a) Hannah dies.
(b) The women are taken to the gas chambers.
(c) A Choosing.
(d) Esther dies.
7. Who became a member of the Israeli senate after surviving the concentration camps?
8. What does the guard who enters the women's barracks in the morning tell them to do?
(a) Get dressed.
(b) Get to work.
(c) Hurry if they want food.
(d) Take showers.
9. How many Jewish people does Hannah suddenly remember die during the Holocuast?
(a) Four million.
(b) Ten million.
(c) Six million.
(d) Sixteen million.
10. What is the marking on the door that Hannah stands in front of in "Chapter 19"?
11. Who started an organization that helped camp survivors to cope and to locate whoever remained alive in their families after the Holocaust?
12. Who gives Hannah a metal bowl for food, washing and drinking?
13. What are the Jewish women told to dress in after their cold shower?
(a) Dirty, used clothing.
(c) Colorful clothing.
(d) Fresh clothing.
14. Where are the women and children taken for one hour at night?
(a) The showers.
(b) The bathrooms.
(c) An open area.
(d) A gas chamber.
15. When the Commandant arrives, what do the women and girls do?
(a) Snap their fingers.
(b) Make clucking noises.
(d) Clap their hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes control of the women and children at the concentration camp?
2. What does Hannah ask Rivka about involving a Choosing?
3. How long has Rivka been in the camp?
4. When does Hannah think her birthday is?
5. Why does Eva tell Hannah the rest of her life story later when they are alone?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)