Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state does Minnie have land?
2. What illness does Burnham get later in his life?
3. With what is the closing ceremony replaced?
4. With how many cars does the Ferris Wheel begin?
5. What does Holmes seek to hear in his victims?
Essay Topic 1
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
Essay Topic 2
What influence did Mayor Harrison Carter have on Chicago? Is his influence still felt? What kind of people do the students think Harrison appealed to and why?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Larson use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main characters, examine the way Larson uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)