|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Burnham buried?
2. What does American want its cities to be after the fair?
3. What does Holmes say when questioned by Barlow?
4. The Royal Emissary looks upon Mrs. Palmer as _______________.
5. What does Pitezel buy his son at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes react to Geyer's finding the bodies?
2. What eventually happens to Burnham and his wife?
3. What does Burnham manage to prove to the world?
4. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
5. Why does Burnham feel he is a failure in the At Last chapter?
6. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
7. How does Holmes occupy himself in prison?
8. What tragedy occurs in the Rising Wave chapter?
9. Why does Burnham not listen to advice from Olmsted?
10. What does Geyer find in Toronto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the Chicago weather.
1) For what kind of weather is Chicago famous? What role does the weather play in the book?
2) Why did such experienced architects not take into account the effects of the snow? How are today's buildings in Chicago built specifically to handle the Chicago weather?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the depression of 1893.
1) How bad was the 1893 depression? How long did it last?
2) How did Chicago made such a success of the Exposition when there was a depression going on?
3) How could the authorities justify spending so much money on one event when people were struggling?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and examine his/her real life. How does Larson represent him/her in the novel? Is this an accurate representation of the character?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)