|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carries out Holmes' burial instructions?
2. Holmes' hotel always smells of __________________.
3. Who is in charge of finding the three children?
4. What is the role of the retrenchment committee?
5. By whose visit is the opening of the Ferris Wheel overshadowed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Burnham feel he is a failure in the At Last chapter?
2. Describe Prendergast's visit to the City Hall.
3. What happens to George Ferris?
4. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
5. What happens to Chicago after the Exposition is finished?
6. How does Holmes react to Geyer's finding the bodies?
7. How does the Exposition influence America?
8. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
9. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
10. What do the police find in Holmes' hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference did the fair make to Chicago? Did Chicago need to change? Were there negative effects of the fair as well as positive affects? How can such an event affect the mindset and confidence of a population?
Essay Topic 2
What position does Dr. Holmes hold in American popular culture? How was he able to go undetected for so long? Does the author present him as someone with a motive or does he portray him as completely evil?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Larson use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)