|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends in place of Ferris?
2. How much longer does Harrison say he will live?
3. Holmes' hotel always smells of __________________.
4. Who is Prendergast introduced to at the City Hall?
5. To where has the chambermaid moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Geyer find out about the children in Indianapolis?
2. What eventually happens to Holmes?
3. What do Minnie and Anna see at the fair?
4. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
5. Why does Burnham not listen to advice from Olmsted?
6. What happens to Millet in the Aboard the Olympic chapter?
7. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
8. What does Burnham manage to prove to the world?
9. Describe the first test runs with the Ferris Wheel.
10. Why does Burnham feel he is a failure in the At Last chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the depression of 1893.
1) How bad was the 1893 depression? How long did it last?
2) How did Chicago made such a success of the Exposition when there was a depression going on?
3) How could the authorities justify spending so much money on one event when people were struggling?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways has Chicago always been linked with crime? What other criminals are linked with the city? How is Chicago's reputation for crime influenced through its representation in popular culture? What difference do the students think the Exposition made to crime in the city?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Chicago.
1) What meaning does Chicago bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Chicago?
2) How different do you think today's Chicago is to the Chicago in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Chicago?
3) How do you think the Chicago settings of the novel contributes to the novel's dark tone?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)