|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves before the closing ceremony?
2. With whom does Millet promise the midway women could dance?
3. Who does Sullivan blame for most of his problems?
4. What is the role of the retrenchment committee?
5. In which month does the attendance rise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes kill Anna?
2. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
3. Describe the first test runs with the Ferris Wheel.
4. What does Burnham manage to prove to the world?
5. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
6. What happens to Millet in the Aboard the Olympic chapter?
7. How does the Exposition influence America?
8. Describe the Spanish Royal Emissary's visit to Chicago.
9. What does Geyer find in Toronto?
10. Why does Burnham not listen to advice from Olmsted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Holmes choose the women he did as his wives? What similar characteristics did they have? What kind of woman would have proven to be Holmes' downfall?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Chicago.
1) What meaning does Chicago bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Chicago?
2) How different do you think today's Chicago is to the Chicago in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Chicago?
3) How do you think the Chicago settings of the novel contributes to the novel's dark tone?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and examine his/her real life. How does Larson represent him/her in the novel? Is this an accurate representation of the character?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)