|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Olmsted ask the people he met on his travels?
2. Whose body do they find at the end of the chapter?
3. To whom does the footprint belong?
4. Who does Susan Anthony meet at the fair?
5. In which month does the attendance rise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes react to Geyer's finding the bodies?
2. Describe Prendergast's visit to the City Hall.
3. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
4. What happens to Millet in the Aboard the Olympic chapter?
5. What does Geyer find out about the children in Indianapolis?
6. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
7. Why does Burnham have to raise attendance?
8. What eventually happens to Holmes?
9. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
10. What happens to the Ferris Wheel during the windstorm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the book and examine his/her real life. How does Larson represent him/her in the novel? Is this an accurate representation of the character?
Essay Topic 3
What influence did Mayor Harrison Carter have on Chicago? Is his influence still felt? What kind of people do the students think Harrison appealed to and why?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)