|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carter Harrison urge businesses to do on Chicago Day?
2. What is the name of the asylum to which Olmsted is admitted?
3. How many people arrive for Independence Day at the fair?
4. The Royal Emissary looks upon Mrs. Palmer as _______________.
5. Who does Burnhan want to lower their rates?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
2. How does Holmes occupy himself in prison?
3. What does Burnham manage to prove to the world?
4. What eventually happens to Holmes?
5. Describe the Spanish Royal Emissary's visit to Chicago.
6. Describe Prendergast's visit to the City Hall.
7. What does McKim write in his letter in the Departures chapter?
8. Why does Burnham feel he is a failure in the At Last chapter?
9. What does Geyer find in Toronto?
10. What is Holmes's plan in the Independence Day chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
Essay Topic 2
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "It is impossible for a book to be an accurate account of events because its first job is to entertain." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)