|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the favorite attraction at the fair?
2. What does Burnham fear the Retrenchment Committee will do?
3. Why does McKim leave so early?
4. What hits the Ferris Wheel?
5. What does Carter Harrison urge businesses to do on Chicago Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
2. What eventually happens to Holmes?
3. Why does Burnham have to raise attendance?
4. What eventually happens to the Ferris wheel?
5. What happens to Olmstead in the Recessional chapter?
6. What do Minnie and Anna see at the fair?
7. What does McKim write in his letter in the Departures chapter?
8. What happens to Chicago after the Exposition is finished?
9. Why does Burnham not listen to advice from Olmsted?
10. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the Chicago weather.
1) For what kind of weather is Chicago famous? What role does the weather play in the book?
2) Why did such experienced architects not take into account the effects of the snow? How are today's buildings in Chicago built specifically to handle the Chicago weather?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the book and examine his/her real life. How does Larson represent him/her in the novel? Is this an accurate representation of the character?
Essay Topic 3
Who were Daniel Burnham and John Root? How influential were Daniel Burnham and John Root in helping to create contemporary Chicago? Why were they chosen as the chief architects?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)