|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Omsted write to say what people thought of the Exposition?
2. Who leaves before the closing ceremony?
3. In which city is Holmes' trial?
4. With whom does Millet promise the midway women could dance?
5. How does an official from the railroad commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Minnie and Anna see at the fair?
2. What happens to the Ferris Wheel during the windstorm?
3. How does Holmes react to Geyer's finding the bodies?
4. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
5. What do the police find in Holmes' hotel?
6. What eventually happens to Holmes?
7. What happens to Chicago after the Exposition is finished?
8. What eventually happens to Burnham and his wife?
9. How does the Exposition influence America?
10. What does Geyer find out about the children in Indianapolis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What position does Dr. Holmes hold in American popular culture? How was he able to go undetected for so long? Does the author present him as someone with a motive or does he portray him as completely evil?
Essay Topic 2
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and examine his/her real life. How does Larson represent him/her in the novel? Is this an accurate representation of the character?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)