|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Geyer return to until August?
2. What illness does Burnham get later in his life?
3. What are the names of the three children?
4. How many weeks are left to the end of the Exposition?
5. Of what does Holmes write three different versions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes react to Geyer's finding the bodies?
2. Why does Burnham not listen to advice from Olmsted?
3. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
4. What is Holmes's plan in the Independence Day chapter?
5. What does Geyer find out about the children in Indianapolis?
6. What happens to Millet in the Aboard the Olympic chapter?
7. What do Minnie and Anna see at the fair?
8. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
9. What do the police find in Holmes' hotel?
10. What happens to the Ferris Wheel during the windstorm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways has Chicago always been linked with crime? What other criminals are linked with the city? How is Chicago's reputation for crime influenced through its representation in popular culture? What difference do the students think the Exposition made to crime in the city?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the book and examine his/her real life. How does Larson represent him/her in the novel? Is this an accurate representation of the character?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Larson use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)