|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Olsted left the completion of the Exposition to _________.
2. What country does Geyer travel to in The Tenant chapter?
3. On what day does Harrison announce his upcoming marriage?
4. With what is the closing ceremony replaced?
5. Holmes believes he is taking on the characteristics of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes occupy himself in prison?
2. Describe Prendergast's visit to the City Hall.
3. What tragedy occurs in the Rising Wave chapter?
4. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
5. How does the Exposition influence America?
6. What eventually happens to Burnham and his wife?
7. What do the police find in Holmes' hotel?
8. What happens to Millet in the Aboard the Olympic chapter?
9. Describe the Spanish Royal Emissary's visit to Chicago.
10. What happens to Olmstead in the Recessional chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the city of Chicago before the fair to the city of Chicago after the fair. How did the fair affect the city in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Burnham's role in making the Exposition a success.
1) Should Burnham should be regarded as a hero for how he persevered with the Exposition?
2) What role did the other workers play in the success? What do the students think would have happened if Burnham had given up?
3) How important is a leader to such an effort?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)