|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Geyer travel to in The Tenant chapter?
2. Whose bodies does Geyer find in Toronto?
3. Which of the following do Anna and Minnie not see at the fair?
4. The Royal Emissary looks upon Mrs. Palmer as _______________.
5. What does Holmes not want to become when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes kill Anna?
2. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
3. Describe the Spanish Royal Emissary's visit to Chicago.
4. What eventually happens to Burnham and his wife?
5. What happens to Olmstead in the Recessional chapter?
6. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
7. What does Geyer find out about the children in Indianapolis?
8. Describe Prendergast's visit to the City Hall.
9. How does Holmes seduce Georgianna?
10. What is Holmes's plan in the Independence Day chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference did the fair make to Chicago? Did Chicago need to change? Were there negative effects of the fair as well as positive affects? How can such an event affect the mindset and confidence of a population?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the Chicago weather.
1) For what kind of weather is Chicago famous? What role does the weather play in the book?
2) Why did such experienced architects not take into account the effects of the snow? How are today's buildings in Chicago built specifically to handle the Chicago weather?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Holmes choose the women he did as his wives? What similar characteristics did they have? What kind of woman would have proven to be Holmes' downfall?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)