|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the first turn of the Ferris wheel take?
2. What is Anna's nickname?
3. What is the favorite attraction at the fair?
4. What is Burnham not told about?
5. What does a New York editor call for other New York editors to do for Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes react to Geyer's finding the bodies?
2. What is Holmes's plan in the Independence Day chapter?
3. Describe the Spanish Royal Emissary's visit to Chicago.
4. What happens to Chicago after the Exposition is finished?
5. What does McKim write in his letter in the Departures chapter?
6. How does Holmes kill Anna?
7. What happens to the Ferris Wheel during the windstorm?
8. Describe Prendergast's visit to the City Hall.
9. What happens to George Ferris?
10. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Larson's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs. Lawrence and discuss how much you know about her background. How does Larson provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Chicago.
1) What meaning does Chicago bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Chicago?
2) How different do you think today's Chicago is to the Chicago in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Chicago?
3) How do you think the Chicago settings of the novel contributes to the novel's dark tone?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways has Chicago always been linked with crime? What other criminals are linked with the city? How is Chicago's reputation for crime influenced through its representation in popular culture? What difference do the students think the Exposition made to crime in the city?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)