|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Holmes trying to get published?
2. What hits the Ferris Wheel?
3. Who does Susan Anthony meet at the fair?
4. Why did Burnham ignore most of Olmsted's advice?
5. What country does Geyer travel to in The Tenant chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Who were Daniel Burnham and John Root? How influential were Daniel Burnham and John Root in helping to create contemporary Chicago? Why were they chosen as the chief architects?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1890's. How does Larson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What position does Dr. Holmes hold in American popular culture? How was he able to go undetected for so long? Does the author present him as someone with a motive or does he portray him as completely evil?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)