|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Burnham charged?
2. When is Prendergast told to arrive back at Harrison's house?
3. For what is the Ferris wheel eventually used?
4. What is the name of the asylum to which Olmsted is admitted?
5. What does Pitezel buy his son at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Holmes's plan in the Independence Day chapter?
2. How does Holmes react to Geyer's finding the bodies?
3. Why does Burnham not listen to advice from Olmsted?
4. Describe Prendergast's visit to the City Hall.
5. What happens to the Ferris Wheel during the windstorm?
6. What does Geyer find in Toronto?
7. What do the police find in Holmes' hotel?
8. What does Burnham manage to prove to the world?
9. How does the Exposition influence America?
10. What eventually happens to Burnham and his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Larson use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the city of Chicago before the fair to the city of Chicago after the fair. How did the fair affect the city in terms of the following:
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)