|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Omsted write to say what people thought of the Exposition?
2. What country does Geyer travel to in The Tenant chapter?
3. What illness does Burnham get later in his life?
4. What does Holmes say when questioned by Barlow?
5. What is the name of the woman Harrison is marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragedy occurs in the Rising Wave chapter?
2. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
3. How does Holmes occupy himself in prison?
4. What does Burnham manage to prove to the world?
5. What eventually happens to Burnham and his wife?
6. What does Geyer find out about the children in Indianapolis?
7. What does Geyer find in Toronto?
8. What eventually happens to the Ferris wheel?
9. Why does Burnham not listen to advice from Olmsted?
10. What does McKim write in his letter in the Departures chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were Daniel Burnham and John Root? How influential were Daniel Burnham and John Root in helping to create contemporary Chicago? Why were they chosen as the chief architects?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Holmes choose the women he did as his wives? What similar characteristics did they have? What kind of woman would have proven to be Holmes' downfall?
Essay Topic 3
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)