|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what day is the opening ceremony scheduled?
2. What does Mrs. Lawrence think has happened to Emeline?
3. What does Holmes' Silver Ash Institute support?
4. What does Prendergast send out to influential people?
5. Which of the following is an exhibit at the Exposition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holmes invite Anna to the fair?
2. Why does Prendergast want to help Carter Harrison?
3. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
4. What are the two main deadlines for the Exposition?
5. What do the architects want to achieve from the Exposition?
6. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
7. How does Holmes prove himself untrustworthy in Hotel for the Fair?
8. Describe Chicago before the Exposition.
9. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
10. How does Gertrude's attitude towards Holmes change in the Cuckolding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were Daniel Burnham and John Root? How influential were Daniel Burnham and John Root in helping to create contemporary Chicago? Why were they chosen as the chief architects?
Essay Topic 2
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Burnham's role in making the Exposition a success.
1) Should Burnham should be regarded as a hero for how he persevered with the Exposition?
2) What role did the other workers play in the success? What do the students think would have happened if Burnham had given up?
3) How important is a leader to such an effort?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)