|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the lead architects of the Exposition?
2. What is the name of the hotel where Hut is staying?
3. What do they decide is the best site for the exposition?
4. Prendergast thinks he is about to be appointed as ________________.
5. What is the name of Ned's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does The World's Fair Hotel chapter show about Holmes' lifestyle?
2. What do the architects want to achieve from the Exposition?
3. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
4. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
5. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
6. What happens between Julia and Holmes in Remains of the Day?
7. What wi the Exposition like at night?
8. What are the two main deadlines for the Exposition?
9. What problems is Burnham facing in Gauntlet Dropped?
10. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set mostly in Chicago.
1) What meaning does Chicago bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Chicago?
2) How different do you think today's Chicago is to the Chicago in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Chicago?
3) How do you think the Chicago settings of the novel contributes to the novel's dark tone?
Essay Topic 2
Who were Daniel Burnham and John Root? How influential were Daniel Burnham and John Root in helping to create contemporary Chicago? Why were they chosen as the chief architects?
Essay Topic 3
Devil in the White City is part of the true crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the true crime genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did White City help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in White City?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)