|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom is Prendergast campaigning?
2. Why does Dr. Holmes want Anna to come to Chicago?
3. What does Holmes pay Charles Chappell to do?
4. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police?
5. Where does Holmes meet Minnie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wi the Exposition like at night?
2. What problems is Burnham facing in Gauntlet Dropped?
3. What are Holmes' initial impressions of Chicago?
4. What does The World's Fair Hotel chapter show about Holmes' lifestyle?
5. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
6. Describe the submission sent in by George Ferris.
7. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
8. What happens between Julia and Holmes in Remains of the Day?
9. Why does Prendergast want to help Carter Harrison?
10. How does Holmes start making good money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influence did Mayor Harrison Carter have on Chicago? Is his influence still felt? What kind of people do the students think Harrison appealed to and why?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Larson's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs. Lawrence and discuss how much you know about her background. How does Larson provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)