|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Chicago architects want to show their Eastern counterparts?
2. What does Holmes sell to Ned?
3. What is the name of the engineer who is awarded the concession?
4. Who disembarks from a train in this chapter?
5. Where does Holmes promise to take Emeline on their honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Prendergast beginning to show that he is insane?
2. How does Gertrude's attitude towards Holmes change in the Cuckolding?
3. What does The World's Fair Hotel chapter show about Holmes' lifestyle?
4. What difference does the painter Millet make?
5. Describe the submission sent in by George Ferris.
6. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
7. How does Holmes prove himself untrustworthy in Hotel for the Fair?
8. What event does the Chicago Exposition celebrate?
9. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
10. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the depression of 1893.
1) How bad was the 1893 depression? How long did it last?
2) How did Chicago made such a success of the Exposition when there was a depression going on?
3) How could the authorities justify spending so much money on one event when people were struggling?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Chicago.
1) What meaning does Chicago bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Chicago?
2) How different do you think today's Chicago is to the Chicago in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Chicago?
3) How do you think the Chicago settings of the novel contributes to the novel's dark tone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "It is impossible for a book to be an accurate account of events because its first job is to entertain." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)