|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Holmes' building nicknamed by the locals?
2. To whom does Holmes sell the articulated skeleton?
3. What problems are happening in America during this time?
4. Who does Emeline meet just before Christmas?
5. What is the name of Ned's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems is Burnham facing in Gauntlet Dropped?
2. What wi the Exposition like at night?
3. How does Holmes start making good money?
4. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
5. What difference does the painter Millet make?
6. Why does Prendergast want to help Carter Harrison?
7. Why are the attendances initially low?
8. What happens between Julia and Holmes in Remains of the Day?
9. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
10. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police in Chappell Redux?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1890's. How does Larson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Larson use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Burnham's role in making the Exposition a success.
1) Should Burnham should be regarded as a hero for how he persevered with the Exposition?
2) What role did the other workers play in the success? What do the students think would have happened if Burnham had given up?
3) How important is a leader to such an effort?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)