Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the murder rate rise in America as the economy falls?
2. Why does Anna accept the invitation?
3. Who tells Emeline to get away from Holmes?
4. Who are the lead architects of the Exposition?
5. Where was the Exposition of 1893 held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to George Ferris?
2. What happens to Millet in the Aboard the Olympic chapter?
3. How is Prendergast beginning to show that he is insane?
4. Describe the first test runs with the Ferris Wheel.
5. How does Holmes seduce Georgianna?
6. What difference does the painter Millet make?
7. What does Geyer find in Toronto?
8. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
9. How does Holmes kill Anna?
10. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
Essay Topic 1
What difference did the fair make to Chicago? Did Chicago need to change? Were there negative effects of the fair as well as positive affects? How can such an event affect the mindset and confidence of a population?
Essay Topic 2
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Chicago.
1) What meaning does Chicago bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Chicago?
2) How different do you think today's Chicago is to the Chicago in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Chicago?
3) How do you think the Chicago settings of the novel contributes to the novel's dark tone?
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)