|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what day is the opening ceremony scheduled?
2. What does Sol Bloom open?
3. What is the name of Ned's daughter?
4. What does Holmes pay Charles Chappell to do?
5. What do the the police think Holmes placed on the floor by his kiln?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chicago before the Exposition.
2. Why does Prendergast want to help Carter Harrison?
3. How does Holmes start making good money?
4. What are Holmes' initial impressions of Chicago?
5. What difference does the painter Millet make?
6. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
7. How is Prendergast beginning to show that he is insane?
8. What problems is Burnham facing in Gauntlet Dropped?
9. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police in Chappell Redux?
10. Describe the submission sent in by George Ferris.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Burnham's role in making the Exposition a success.
1) Should Burnham should be regarded as a hero for how he persevered with the Exposition?
2) What role did the other workers play in the success? What do the students think would have happened if Burnham had given up?
3) How important is a leader to such an effort?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and examine his/her real life. How does Larson represent him/her in the novel? Is this an accurate representation of the character?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)