|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prendergast thinks he is about to be appointed as ________________.
2. Which structure do the architects want to do better?
3. Who is running for his fifth term as mayor?
4. What does Prendergast send out to influential people?
5. Why does Anna accept the invitation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes prove himself untrustworthy in Hotel for the Fair?
2. What problems is Chicago having in the Convocation?
3. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
4. What wi the Exposition like at night?
5. What does The World's Fair Hotel chapter show about Holmes' lifestyle?
6. Describe the submission sent in by George Ferris.
7. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
8. What are Holmes' initial impressions of Chicago?
9. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
10. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the Chicago weather.
1) For what kind of weather is Chicago famous? What role does the weather play in the book?
2) Why did such experienced architects not take into account the effects of the snow? How are today's buildings in Chicago built specifically to handle the Chicago weather?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Chicago.
1) What meaning does Chicago bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Chicago?
2) How different do you think today's Chicago is to the Chicago in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Chicago?
3) How do you think the Chicago settings of the novel contributes to the novel's dark tone?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways has Chicago always been linked with crime? What other criminals are linked with the city? How is Chicago's reputation for crime influenced through its representation in popular culture? What difference do the students think the Exposition made to crime in the city?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)