|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Hut is staying?
2. At what newspaper does Prendergast work?
3. Where was the Exposition of 1893 held?
4. What type of bureau is the police force going to establish?
5. What was the Exposition celebrating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the architects want to achieve from the Exposition?
2. How does Holmes prove himself untrustworthy in Hotel for the Fair?
3. What event does the Chicago Exposition celebrate?
4. What problems is Chicago having in the Convocation?
5. What does the Modus Operandi chapter say about Pendergast's desires as a serial killer?
6. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
7. How does Gertrude's attitude towards Holmes change in the Cuckolding?
8. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
9. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
10. What is Chicago's attitude toward missing people in the 19th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the book and examine his/her real life. How does Larson represent him/her in the novel? Is this an accurate representation of the character?
Essay Topic 2
What difference did the fair make to Chicago? Did Chicago need to change? Were there negative effects of the fair as well as positive affects? How can such an event affect the mindset and confidence of a population?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Larson use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main characters, examine the way Larson uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)