|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Chicago architects want to show their Eastern counterparts?
2. What is Holmes' building nicknamed by the locals?
3. To whom does Prendergast send a postcard?
4. Where does Holmes' wife live?
5. What word best describes Chicago in the late 1880's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two main deadlines for the Exposition?
2. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
3. Why does Burnham not listen to advice from Olmsted?
4. Describe the first test runs with the Ferris Wheel.
5. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
6. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
7. What does The World's Fair Hotel chapter show about Holmes' lifestyle?
8. Why are the attendances initially low?
9. How does Holmes occupy himself in prison?
10. What eventually happens to Holmes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influence did Mayor Harrison Carter have on Chicago? Is his influence still felt? What kind of people do the students think Harrison appealed to and why?
Essay Topic 2
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1890's. How does Larson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)