|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop does Holmes buy?
2. Where was the Exposition of 1893 held?
3. Who does Emeline meet just before Christmas?
4. Who are the lead architects of the Exposition?
5. Where does Holmes' wife live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Millet in the Aboard the Olympic chapter?
2. What tragedy occurs in the Rising Wave chapter?
3. What eventually happens to Holmes?
4. What do the police find in Holmes' hotel?
5. What is Chicago's attitude toward missing people in the 19th century?
6. What difference does the painter Millet make?
7. What happens to Olmstead in the Recessional chapter?
8. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
9. What does Geyer find in Toronto?
10. In what way can the characters of Burnham and Holmes be compared?
Essay Topic 1
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the depression of 1893.
1) How bad was the 1893 depression? How long did it last?
2) How did Chicago made such a success of the Exposition when there was a depression going on?
3) How could the authorities justify spending so much money on one event when people were struggling?
Essay Topic 3
What influence did Mayor Harrison Carter have on Chicago? Is his influence still felt? What kind of people do the students think Harrison appealed to and why?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)