|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Holmes' building nicknamed by the locals?
2. Which member of Myrta's family does Holmes meet?
3. When does Holmes say he will perform the abortion?
4. What is the daily attendance up to the end of May?
5. What do they decide is the best site for the exposition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
2. Why does Prendergast want to help Carter Harrison?
3. How is Prendergast beginning to show that he is insane?
4. What difference does the painter Millet make?
5. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
6. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
7. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
8. What event does the Chicago Exposition celebrate?
9. What are Holmes' initial impressions of Chicago?
10. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Holmes choose the women he did as his wives? What similar characteristics did they have? What kind of woman would have proven to be Holmes' downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1890's. How does Larson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)