|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Kelley cure?
2. Who is now completely insane?
3. What does the author state that Chicago has a lot of during this time?
4. What is the name of Minnie's sister?
5. Which of the following is an exhibit at the Exposition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
2. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
3. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police in Chappell Redux?
4. What does the Modus Operandi chapter say about Pendergast's desires as a serial killer?
5. What event does the Chicago Exposition celebrate?
6. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
7. What happens between Julia and Holmes in Remains of the Day?
8. Describe Chicago before the Exposition.
9. What wi the Exposition like at night?
10. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1890's. How does Larson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
Essay Topic 3
What difference did the fair make to Chicago? Did Chicago need to change? Were there negative effects of the fair as well as positive affects? How can such an event affect the mindset and confidence of a population?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)