|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Emeline's footprint later be discovered?
2. Who does the fair hire to keep fairgoers safe?
3. What does Holmes advertise in the local papers?
4. Who tells Emeline to get away from Holmes?
5. Why does Anna accept the invitation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Modus Operandi chapter say about Pendergast's desires as a serial killer?
2. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
3. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
4. Describe Chicago before the Exposition.
5. What are the two main deadlines for the Exposition?
6. What mistake has the structural engineer made in Cold Blooded Fact?
7. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police in Chappell Redux?
8. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
9. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
10. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the Chicago weather.
1) For what kind of weather is Chicago famous? What role does the weather play in the book?
2) Why did such experienced architects not take into account the effects of the snow? How are today's buildings in Chicago built specifically to handle the Chicago weather?
Essay Topic 2
Who were Daniel Burnham and John Root? How influential were Daniel Burnham and John Root in helping to create contemporary Chicago? Why were they chosen as the chief architects?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "It is impossible for a book to be an accurate account of events because its first job is to entertain." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)