|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Emeline to get away from Holmes?
2. Who does Emeline meet just before Christmas?
3. What kind of shop does Holmes buy?
4. From what city do three of the architects come?
5. What is Holmes' building nicknamed by the locals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police in Chappell Redux?
2. What do the architects want to achieve from the Exposition?
3. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
4. What is Chicago's attitude toward missing people in the 19th century?
5. What does the Modus Operandi chapter say about Pendergast's desires as a serial killer?
6. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
7. What mistake has the structural engineer made in Cold Blooded Fact?
8. How does Holmes start making good money?
9. What wi the Exposition like at night?
10. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
Essay Topic 2
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 3
What position does Dr. Holmes hold in American popular culture? How was he able to go undetected for so long? Does the author present him as someone with a motive or does he portray him as completely evil?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)