|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the lead architects of the Exposition?
2. Who does Holmes ask Minnie to invite to the fair?
3. What word best describes Chicago in the late 1880's?
4. What is the name of the woman who designs the Women's Building?
5. To whom does Prendergast send a postcard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Julia and Holmes in Remains of the Day?
2. What difference does the painter Millet make?
3. Why are the attendances initially low?
4. Why does Holmes invite Anna to the fair?
5. What problems is Burnham facing in Gauntlet Dropped?
6. What does The World's Fair Hotel chapter show about Holmes' lifestyle?
7. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
8. How does Gertrude's attitude towards Holmes change in the Cuckolding?
9. How does Holmes prove himself untrustworthy in Hotel for the Fair?
10. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were Daniel Burnham and John Root? How influential were Daniel Burnham and John Root in helping to create contemporary Chicago? Why were they chosen as the chief architects?
Essay Topic 2
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
Essay Topic 3
What difference did the fair make to Chicago? Did Chicago need to change? Were there negative effects of the fair as well as positive affects? How can such an event affect the mindset and confidence of a population?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)