|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Exposition celebrating?
2. To whom does Prendergast send a postcard?
3. What do the Chicago architects want to show their Eastern counterparts?
4. Who does Holmes ask Minnie to invite to the fair?
5. Who is supervising landscape architect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Modus Operandi chapter say about Pendergast's desires as a serial killer?
2. What happens between Julia and Holmes in Remains of the Day?
3. How does Holmes start making good money?
4. What difference does the painter Millet make?
5. Why does Holmes invite Anna to the fair?
6. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
7. What problems is Chicago having in the Convocation?
8. Why are the attendances initially low?
9. What does The World's Fair Hotel chapter show about Holmes' lifestyle?
10. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the depression of 1893.
1) How bad was the 1893 depression? How long did it last?
2) How did Chicago made such a success of the Exposition when there was a depression going on?
3) How could the authorities justify spending so much money on one event when people were struggling?
Essay Topic 2
Devil in the White City is part of the true crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the true crime genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did White City help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in White City?
Essay Topic 3
What difference did the fair make to Chicago? Did Chicago need to change? Were there negative effects of the fair as well as positive affects? How can such an event affect the mindset and confidence of a population?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)