|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Holmes promise to take Emeline on their honeymoon?
2. Who does Emeline meet just before Christmas?
3. What is the name of Holmes' new woman?
4. What is the name of Holmes' wife?
5. Who disembarks from a train in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake has the structural engineer made in Cold Blooded Fact?
2. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
3. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
4. Describe the submission sent in by George Ferris.
5. What problems is Chicago having in the Convocation?
6. What do the architects want to achieve from the Exposition?
7. How does Holmes prove himself untrustworthy in Hotel for the Fair?
8. Why does Prendergast want to help Carter Harrison?
9. How is Prendergast beginning to show that he is insane?
10. What wi the Exposition like at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Larson's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs. Lawrence and discuss how much you know about her background. How does Larson provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Holmes choose the women he did as his wives? What similar characteristics did they have? What kind of woman would have proven to be Holmes' downfall?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the depression of 1893.
1) How bad was the 1893 depression? How long did it last?
2) How did Chicago made such a success of the Exposition when there was a depression going on?
3) How could the authorities justify spending so much money on one event when people were struggling?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)