|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes pay Charles Chappell to do?
2. What does the author state that Chicago has a lot of during this time?
3. What is the title of Burnham's official job?
4. When does Gertrude become uneasy?
5. Who is president of the United States in 1893?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does the painter Millet make?
2. How does Holmes start making good money?
3. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
4. What problems is Burnham facing in Gauntlet Dropped?
5. Why does Holmes invite Anna to the fair?
6. What problems is Chicago having in the Convocation?
7. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police in Chappell Redux?
8. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
9. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
10. Describe Chicago before the Exposition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Devil in the White City is part of the true crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the true crime genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did White City help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in White City?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways has Chicago always been linked with crime? What other criminals are linked with the city? How is Chicago's reputation for crime influenced through its representation in popular culture? What difference do the students think the Exposition made to crime in the city?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the city of Chicago before the fair to the city of Chicago after the fair. How did the fair affect the city in terms of the following:
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)