|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Chicago architects want to show their Eastern counterparts?
2. Where would Emeline's footprint later be discovered?
3. Emeline is from ___________.
4. What is Holmes' building nicknamed by the locals?
5. When does Gertrude become uneasy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Julia and Holmes in Remains of the Day?
2. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police in Chappell Redux?
3. What does The World's Fair Hotel chapter show about Holmes' lifestyle?
4. Why does Holmes invite Anna to the fair?
5. What wi the Exposition like at night?
6. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
7. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
8. What are the two main deadlines for the Exposition?
9. What event does the Chicago Exposition celebrate?
10. How does Holmes prove himself untrustworthy in Hotel for the Fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Devil in the White City is part of the true crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the true crime genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did White City help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in White City?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Larson use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1890's. How does Larson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)