|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Hut is staying?
2. Who are the lead architects of the Exposition?
3. Where does Holmes promise to take Emeline on their honeymoon?
4. Who is Holmes paying attention to in this chapter?
5. Emeline's family is from what state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the New York editor want his fellow editors to apologize to Chicago?
2. Describe the first test runs with the Ferris Wheel.
3. What does McKim write in his letter in the Departures chapter?
4. What do the police find in Holmes' hotel?
5. How does the Exposition influence America?
6. Why does Burnham feel he is a failure in the At Last chapter?
7. What eventually happens to Burnham and his wife?
8. What happens in Mr. Chamberlain's office in the Departure chapter?
9. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
10. What happens to George Ferris?
Essay Topic 1
What potential problems does Burnham face? What is the worst problem and how can he solve it? Is Burnham the right man for the job and, if so, why is he the right man?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1890's. How does Larson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the city of Chicago before the fair to the city of Chicago after the fair. How did the fair affect the city in terms of the following:
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)