|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes advertise in the local papers?
2. Who does Prendergast want to become his assistant?
3. What do the Chicago architects want to show their Eastern counterparts?
4. Who is given the job of increasing attendance?
5. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does the painter Millet make?
2. Why does Prendergast want to help Carter Harrison?
3. What problems is Burnham facing in Gauntlet Dropped?
4. What does the Modus Operandi chapter say about Pendergast's desires as a serial killer?
5. Describe Chicago before the Exposition.
6. What are Holmes' initial impressions of Chicago?
7. What does Burnham concede in his negotiations with the unions?
8. How does Holmes start making good money?
9. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
10. How does Gertrude's attitude towards Holmes change in the Cuckolding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Larson's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs. Lawrence and discuss how much you know about her background. How does Larson provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Devil in the White City is part of the true crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the true crime genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did White City help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in White City?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)