|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop does Holmes buy?
2. Which member of Myrta's family does Holmes meet?
3. To whom does Prendergast send a postcard?
4. Emeline's family is from what state?
5. When does Holmes say he will perform the abortion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holmes send Pitezel to obtain Dr. Kelley's cure for alcoholism?
2. What problems is Chicago having in the Convocation?
3. How does Holmes start making good money?
4. What wi the Exposition like at night?
5. How does Gertrude's attitude towards Holmes change in the Cuckolding?
6. What are the two main deadlines for the Exposition?
7. Why does Holmes invite Anna to the fair?
8. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
9. What mistake has the structural engineer made in Cold Blooded Fact?
10. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference did the fair make to Chicago? Did Chicago need to change? Were there negative effects of the fair as well as positive affects? How can such an event affect the mindset and confidence of a population?
Essay Topic 2
Devil in the White City is part of the true crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the true crime genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did White City help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in White City?
Essay Topic 3
What position does Dr. Holmes hold in American popular culture? How was he able to go undetected for so long? Does the author present him as someone with a motive or does he portray him as completely evil?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)