|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Lawrence not go to the police?
2. Who is given the job of increasing attendance?
3. What is the reason people are not coming to the exposition?
4. What does the author state that Chicago has a lot of during this time?
5. What is the name of Ned's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Prendergast want to help Carter Harrison?
2. Why are the attendances initially low?
3. What do the architects want to achieve from the Exposition?
4. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
5. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
6. What wi the Exposition like at night?
7. What problems is Burnham facing in Gauntlet Dropped?
8. How is Prendergast beginning to show that he is insane?
9. What mistake has the structural engineer made in Cold Blooded Fact?
10. Why is Burnham glad Carter Harrison loses the mayoral election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influence did Mayor Harrison Carter have on Chicago? Is his influence still felt? What kind of people do the students think Harrison appealed to and why?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Holmes choose the women he did as his wives? What similar characteristics did they have? What kind of woman would have proven to be Holmes' downfall?
Essay Topic 3
Devil in the White City is part of the true crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the true crime genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did White City help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in White City?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)