|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is running for his fifth term as mayor?
2. In what year does Chicago win the vote to hold the Exposition?
3. Who is president of the United States in 1893?
4. What does the author state that Chicago has a lot of during this time?
5. Which character dies in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chicago's attitude toward missing people in the 19th century?
2. What does the Modus Operandi chapter say about Pendergast's desires as a serial killer?
3. Describe Chicago before the Exposition.
4. What do the architects want to achieve from the Exposition?
5. Describe the submission sent in by George Ferris.
6. What does Pendergast say in the postcard he sends Cooling?
7. How does Holmes prove himself untrustworthy in Hotel for the Fair?
8. Why does Holmes invite Anna to the fair?
9. How does the death of John Root affect the architects?
10. What are Holmes' initial impressions of Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Burnham's role in making the Exposition a success.
1) Should Burnham should be regarded as a hero for how he persevered with the Exposition?
2) What role did the other workers play in the success? What do the students think would have happened if Burnham had given up?
3) How important is a leader to such an effort?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1890's. How does Larson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
How was Chicago different in the 1880's to what it is now? What kind of people lived there and what sort of jobs did they have? In what ways did the exposition make a big difference to the city?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)