Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the murder rate rise in America as the economy falls?
2. Why does Anna accept the invitation?
3. Who tells Emeline to get away from Holmes?
4. Who are the lead architects of the Exposition?
5. Where was the Exposition of 1893 held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to George Ferris?
2. What happens to Millet in the Aboard the Olympic chapter?
3. How is Prendergast beginning to show that he is insane?
4. Describe the first test runs with the Ferris Wheel.
5. How does Holmes seduce Georgianna?
6. What difference does the painter Millet make?
7. What does Geyer find in Toronto?
8. How is the city of Chicago preparing for the fair in Dreadful Things Done By Girls?
9. How does Holmes kill Anna?
10. Who does Burnham invite to work on the designs for the World Exposition Fair?
Essay Topic 1
Why did Holmes choose the women he did as his wives? What similar characteristics did they have? What kind of woman would have proven to be Holmes' downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Larson use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main characters, examine the way Larson uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Who were Daniel Burnham and John Root? How influential were Daniel Burnham and John Root in helping to create contemporary Chicago? Why were they chosen as the chief architects?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)