|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carries out Holmes' burial instructions?
(a) His mother
(b) His wife
(c) John King
(d) His attorney
2. Whose skeleton do the police find?
(d) Mrs Lawrence's
3. Where does Mrs. Pitezel learn that her children's bodies have been discovered?
(a) On the radio
(b) A telegram office
(c) In the newspaper
(d) The police station
4. What is the role of the retrenchment committee?
(a) To cut spending
(b) To investigate health and safety
(c) To increase attendance
(d) To investigate expenditure
5. Who leaves before the closing ceremony?
6. What illness does Burnham get later in his life?
7. Where does Holmes state that Howard is?
(a) An institution
(b) Holmes' mother's house
(c) A boarding house
(d) A homeless shelter
8. Holmes believes he is taking on the characteristics of __________.
(a) the devil
(b) Abraham Lincoln
(d) Howard Pitezel
9. How many weeks are left to the end of the Exposition?
10. In which state does Minnie have land?
(a) North Carolina
(d) New York
11. When is Prendergast told to arrive back at Harrison's house?
(a) An hour
(b) In a week
(c) Half an hour
(d) Two hours
12. What ceremony takes place in the At Last chapter?
(a) Burnham's birthday
(b) The opening of Holmes' hotel
(c) Independence Day celebration
(d) The opening of the Ferris Wheel
13. What does American want its cities to be after the fair?
(a) Exciting, but safe
(b) Big and brash
(c) Peaceful havens
(d) Pretty and clean
14. What does Carter Harrison urge businesses to do on Chicago Day?
(b) Donate their profits to the fair
(c) Hang out flags and other decorations
(d) Open longer
15. For what is the Ferris wheel eventually used?
(b) A tourist attraction
(c) A water mill
(d) Scrap metal
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following do the police not find at Holmes' hotel?
2. Which of the following do Anna and Minnie not see at the fair?
3. Who refuses to give the Retrenchment Committee control of expenditure?
4. What is Prendergast's sentence for killing Harrison?
5. Who does Burnham have to satisfy by keeping the attendance high?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)