|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom's first mistake on his last day?
(a) He tries to cheat a man who has also made a bargain with the devil.
(b) He does not begin the day with a prayer.
(c) He says that the devil can take him if he has made any money from his client.
(d) He forgets to lock his doors.
2. Why does Tom tell his wife about his meeting with the devil?
(a) The devil said that he would only make the bargain if Tom told his wife.
(b) He and his wife have no secrets from one another.
(c) He is uneasy about the meeting and needs to tell someone what happened.
(d) He is hoping that his wife will take his place in his bargain with the devil.
3. What does the narrator say makes it difficult to know what actually happened to Tom's wife?
(a) She disappeared a long time ago.
(b) There are too many stories told by different historians.
(c) The whole story is likely to be false.
(d) No one but Tom seems to have really noticed her disappearance.
4. What is unusual about the house that Tom builds with the money he earns?
(a) It is mostly unfinished and has little furniture.
(b) It contains an alter to the devil.
(c) It is in the middle of the swamp.
(d) It is made from rotted timber.
5. What is one unusual physical feature of the devil?
(a) His voice is like a snake's hiss.
(b) He smells of sulfur.
(c) He has horns.
(d) He has red eyes.
6. Tom agrees to become a usurer. What job is he saying he will do?
(a) He will become a landlord.
(b) He will buy and sell land.
(c) He will loan money at high interest rates.
(d) He will invest money on behalf of other people.
7. The narrator says that the timing for Tom's business is propitious. What kind of timing would this be?
(b) Too late to make a difference.
(d) In advance of need.
8. What mark does the devil leave on Tom?
(a) A claw mark.
(b) An upside-down cross.
(c) A black fingerprint.
(d) A red mark in the shape of an axe.
9. Who is said to have been present when the treasure was buried?
(a) The devil.
(b) A whaler.
(c) Tom Walker.
(d) Geoffery Crayon.
10. What happens to all of Tom's money and property at the end of the story?
(a) A mysterious man appears, claiming to be Tom's heir.
(b) Tom's cheated clients divide it among themselves.
(c) The town elders donate it to the church.
(d) Everything changes into ash, bone, and wood shavings.
11. Tom's wife is described as a termagant--what kind of person does this mean she is?
(a) A person who loves luxury.
(b) A harsh-tempered woman.
(c) A person who hates to spend money.
(d) A cold-hearted woman.
12. Whose clothing does the devil's clothing resemble?
(a) Quaker clothing.
(b) Puritan clothing.
(c) Native American clothing.
(d) African clothing.
13. What does the narrator say his third attempt to evade the devil shows about Tom?
(a) He is unusually clever.
(b) He is a very persistent man.
(c) He is extremely naive.
(d) He has lost his mind.
14. What does the narrator compare Tom's clients to?
15. Which city is close to the setting of "The Devil and Tom Walker"?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second thing that Tom does in an attempt to escape his bargain?
2. Why does Tom's wife go into the swamp, looking for the devil?
3. What is the third thing that Tom does in an attempt to escape his bargain?
4. What is Tom doing at the office on his last day?
5. What news does Tom's wife have for him when he returns from the swamp?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)