|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Willard's mother promise God to marry Willard off to if he survived the war?
(a) Charlotte Willoughby.
(b) Helen Hatton.
(c) Isabella Fernandez.
(d) Helen Willoughby.
2. What does Arvin do for hours one night when his father sends him to the prayer log?
(a) Sleeps on the blood soaked ground.
(b) Shouts his prayers.
(c) Curses his father.
3. What does Willard nail to a cross in the prayer clearing?
(a) The pages from a Bible.
(b) Jack's carcass.
(c) The miscarried baby Charlotte had the year before.
(d) The lawyer's rotting skeleton.
4. Who greets Willard when he arrives home?
(a) No one.
(b) His mother and his two sisters.
(c) His mother and uncle.
(d) His father.
5. Where does Willard end up renting a house for his family?
(a) Spring Valley.
(b) Dunlap's Cove.
(c) Mud Hollow.
(d) Mitchell Flats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sandy do with the first hitchhiker mentioned?
2. What is the year of the opening of the first chapter?
3. For what does Willard ask God regularly?
4. Who is the first hitchhiker mentioned in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Willard decide to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the young, attractive soldier that Carl and Sandy pick up?
2. What happens when Arvin turns ten and how does Willard plan to fix it?
3. What does Arvin start to do when he hears someone nearby and what is his father's reaction? How does Arvin feel what his father tells him to do?
4. Why does Carl wake up drenched in sweat?
5. About what does Deputy Sheriff Bodecker fantasize?
6. Who are Sandy and Carl and what are they doing?
7. Why does Emma believe God will not hold her to her bargain about Willard?
8. How does Willard exact his revenge on the hunters later, and what does he say to Arvin about the incident?
9. From whom does Willard rent a house and how does the man verbally abuse Willard?
10. How does Carl convince young men to have sex with Sandy and what does Carl do after they have sex?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)