|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arvin secretly wish?
(a) His mother would just die.
(b) His mother would hurry and get well so Arvin could have a dog.
(c) His mother would get well but his father would die.
(d) His father would send Arvin away for good.
2. Why is Willard's mother relieved at what she learns about Roy?
(a) That God is not going to hold her to her bargain.
(b) That God has found the right person for Roy to marry.
(c) That Willard is free.
(d) That Roy will take care of Theodore.
3. Where is Willard going?
(a) Coal Creek, Virginia.
(b) Differ, West Virginia.
(c) Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
(d) Wakeman, Georgia.
4. At what does Dunlap hint to Willard one day?
(a) That he is going to evict Willard.
(b) That Dunlap could take Arvin on as an apprentice for a price.
(c) That Dunlap could pay for a good doctor for Charlotte.
(d) That Willard might be able to earn the house free and clear.
5. Who does Willard shoot and kill as a mercy?
(a) A soldier who is smashed under a tank.
(b) A young boy who has lost the lower half of his body.
(c) A soldier who is skinned and crucified.
(d) A soldier who is fatally wounded by a grenade.
6. What does Willard explain to his son about Willard's actions?
(a) It is sometimes necessary to choose the time and place to fight back.
(b) His mother wants to go to her niece's wedding looking nicely.
(c) He wants to increase the cow herd so Willard has some inheritance.
(d) He is cheating a scoundrel who deserves it.
7. What does Carl believe he is doing?
(a) He is on a religious mission.
(b) He is educating Sandy about the great United States.
(c) He is helping the population explosion.
(d) He is saving his wife's soul.
8. Who is said to have decayed teeth?
(d) A young man they pick up.
9. What does Hank give Arvin?
(a) A chocolate bar.
(b) A free soda.
(d) A bag of licorice.
10. What does Emma learn about Willard that makes her believe God has truly forgiven her for breaking her bargain with God?
(a) That Charlotte is the daughter of a preacher.
(b) That Willard's wife just gave birth to a boy.
(c) That Helen is happy.
(d) That Willard has a good job.
11. How old is Arvin when Willard decides to move?
12. Why does Willard start killing animals?
(a) He is convinced that blood sacrifices will save Charlotte.
(b) He is angry at God.
(c) He is keeping them out of the flower garden which Charlotte enjoys.
(d) He is teaching Arvin how to hunt.
13. What does Theodore say he once did?
(a) Hit his mother.
(b) Tried to kill his brother.
(c) Tried to kill himself.
(d) Tried to get out of the draft.
14. What do Willard and Arvin do for hours each day?
(b) Sit and talk with Charlotte.
(c) Work on doing little things for Charlotte.
(d) Work on remodeling the house.
15. Where does Willard later take Arvin?
(a) To the dry goods store.
(b) To the docks to buy merchandise.
(c) To visit the farmer next to their property.
(d) To the local bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arvin think he is viewed by others in the area?
2. What does Bodecker recall about a night he passed out drunk?
3. Who is the first hitchhiker mentioned in Chapter 10?
4. How does Arvin feel about his father's reaction to the statement about Charlotte?
5. What does Roy say God did for Roy?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)