• Arvin and his father sit on a log in a clearing in the woods for evening prayer.
• Arvin reflects on how being seen as an outsider has led to him being bullied repeatedly.
• Two hunters come by and make crude remarks about Arvin's attractive mother, Charlotte.
• Arvin waits for his father to respond but he is too deep in prayer and Arvin is disappointed.
• Later, Willard takes Arvin to a local bar and savagely beats the hunter who had made the comment.
• Willard tells Arvin that sometimes, it's necessary to choose the time and place to fight back.
• Later in life Arvin considers that time with his father as the best he ever had and decides to be as tough as his dad.
Part 1 - Sacrifice, Chapters 1, 2 and 3
• In 1945, Willard is riding a bus home to Coal Creek, Virginia, after being discharged from combat duty. He is...
This section contains 2,695 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)