|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carlos and his manager do to the host of the Australian Today Show?
2. What is the path to freedom?
3. What do chimps insert reeds into in order to get protein?
4. Who was Stalin's rival?
5. What is there so such thing as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between ancient hunters and scientists?
2. What great responsibility does science have?
3. What advantage does the idea of the afterlife give a society?
4. What does Alan Cromer say about the emergence of science? What does Sagan think of this thesis?
5. According to Sagan, what is 'perhaps the greatest museum exhibit?' What does it not have?
6. What happens in environments of established knowledge? What happens when what needs to be learned changes quickly?
7. According to Sagan, why do we stereotype?
8. Describe the accomplishments of Linus Pauling.
9. What happens to students between kindergarten and graduating high school?
10. How is the baloney detection kit used in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that argues for or against the censorship of Carl Sagan's ideas based upon their potential to offend readers. Be sure to address:
1) Any concerns regarding freedom of speech/expression, including their limits.
2) Whether or not Sagan's views offend you.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the scientific method and its impact upon humanity. Be sure to address:
1) Why the scientific method is important.
2) The effect the scientific method has had upon humanity.
3) What you think the world would be like if the scientific method never existed.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that makes use of the 'baloney detection kit' described in chapter 12 of The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan, and applies it to a well-known argument. Be sure to address:
1) How effective the kit is in attacking a false argument.
2) Any issues or problems with the kit.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)