|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other use for nuclear weapons was suggested by Edward Teller?
2. What do we do when we discourage children from science?
3. What may have been the decisive element in the Allied victory in World War II?
4. What did George Awad create?
5. What best defines 'Newton's Sleep?'
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798.
2. What does Alan Cromer say about the emergence of science? What does Sagan think of this thesis?
3. Describe the accomplishments of Linus Pauling.
4. How are scientists generally portrayed on television?
5. What is the relationship between ancient hunters and scientists?
6. What is the difference between science and faith healing?
7. What negative traits sometimes exist in skeptics?
8. How is the baloney detection kit used in this chapter?
9. What is the story of Frederick Bailey?
10. What lessons can be learned from the legal system and applied to matters of politics, economics, religion, and ethics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the case of Paul Ingram that either argues for or against his innocence. Be sure to use cited resources, and be sure to address:
1) The implications of the case for criminal law in general.
2) Arguments for or against the existence of Satanism in modern society.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing a controversial area of science either from history or the present day. Be sure to address:
1) The nature of the controversy.
2) The views of the scientists vs. the views of those who oppose them.
3) How the controversy was resolved, or how you think it can be resolved.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that serves as the short biography of a faith healer, magician, or psychic. Be sure to address:
1) Motivations for becoming famous.
2) Responses to allegations of fraud.
3) Whether or not the person was proved to be fraudulent.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)