|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not a codename for a military balloon?
2. What does not sell well?
3. What did King James refer to as the 'devil's weed?'
4. When did a flying saucer allegedly crash in Roswell, New Mexico?
5. Where did crop circles originate from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sagan's view on grief, death, and the afterlife?
2. What is the common theme in the advertisements in UFO magazines?
3. What is an 'error bar?'
4. Why would someone want to invent a vision of the Virgin Mary? Is it difficult to do so?
5. Describe the history of demons.
6. What is the correlation between UFO sightings and the Cold War?
7. What can we see through the example of Newtonian Physics?
8. Why is Hippocrates important?
9. What is the connection between science and pseudoscience?
10. According to J.B.S. Haldane, what is the relationship between eternity and reincarnation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the ideal role of skepticism in the education of our youth. Be sure to address:
1) The advantages and disadvantages of a highly skeptical younger generation.
2) The emotional effects of skepticism on young people.
3) Whether fact or fantasy is more important for the development of children.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the relationship between commerce and the paranormal. Be sure to include:
1) Examples of people who have made money through the paranormal.
2) A discussion on whether or not the industry should be regulated.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a technology or invention that has had a negative impact upon humanity. Be sure to include:
1) Examples to back up your point.
2) Recommendations on what to do about the technology.
3) Lessons that can be learned from this technology in order to prevent future harm.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)