|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to those who criticized witch-burning?
2. What is Carl Sagan in love with?
3. How old is Ramtha?
4. In what magazine was a short summary of the first seven chapters of this book published?
5. What does magic require from the audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Sagan give for massive blackouts on released NSA documents?
2. What is the story of Franz Mesmer?
3. Describe the history of demons.
4. What is Sagan's disagreement with his friend John Mack? Why does John believe what he does?
5. What is the connection between science and pseudoscience?
6. According to J.B.S. Haldane, what is the relationship between eternity and reincarnation?
7. Why would someone want to invent a vision of the Virgin Mary? Is it difficult to do so?
8. Why does Sagan believe that there might actually have been secret investigative teams to look into reports of UFOs?
9. How was the sample of The Demon-Haunted World received by the media?
10. How was Kenneth Arnold misquoted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the so-called face on Mars, and what we can learn from its example. Be sure to address:
1) Any possibility that the face is real.
2) What the controversy surrounding the face demonstrates about human nature.
3) Why humans would want to believe in a real face on Mars.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that serves as the short biography of a faith healer, magician, or psychic. Be sure to address:
1) Motivations for becoming famous.
2) Responses to allegations of fraud.
3) Whether or not the person was proved to be fraudulent.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a technology or invention that has had a negative impact upon humanity. Be sure to include:
1) Examples to back up your point.
2) Recommendations on what to do about the technology.
3) Lessons that can be learned from this technology in order to prevent future harm.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)