|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. 'It is a characteristic conceit of our species to put a human face on ____________________.'
2. What word means 'knowledge' in Greek?
3. Who wrote On the Distinction Between True and False Visions?
4. What is one of the 'great commandments of science?'
5. In the book by Robert Lindner, how many minutes are in the hour?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the correlation between UFO sightings and the Cold War?
2. What is Sagan's disagreement with his friend John Mack? Why does John believe what he does?
3. Describe the typical alien abduction scenario.
4. What is Sagan trying to say with the dragon analogy?
5. What is an 'error bar?'
6. Why would someone want to invent a vision of the Virgin Mary? Is it difficult to do so?
7. Describe the response the sample got from readers.
8. What does Carl Sagan say about human nature and patterns?
9. What modern problems do we need science to help us with? Can science really solve these problems?
10. What is Carl Sagan afraid of? Has it already happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the scientific method and its impact upon humanity. Be sure to address:
1) Why the scientific method is important.
2) The effect the scientific method has had upon humanity.
3) What you think the world would be like if the scientific method never existed.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that makes use of the 'baloney detection kit' described in chapter 12 of The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan, and applies it to a well-known argument. Be sure to address:
1) How effective the kit is in attacking a false argument.
2) Any issues or problems with the kit.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay recommending for or against the use of hypnosis in criminal cases. Be sure to use cited resources in order to back up your opinions.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)