|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luzhin's future father-in-law talk to him about privately before his wedding?
2. What does Luzhin listen to as he lies awake at night?
3. What is Luzhin's future mother-in-law's prime objection to her daughter marrying Luzhin?
4. At the wedding reception, how much champagne does Luzhin drink?
5. What fruit does Luzhin buy on his walk with his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luzhin react to the parties of intellectuals that his wife entertains?
2. What word keeps going through Mrs. Luzhin's mind on her wedding night, and what does it mean?
3. How does Luzhin's fiancee's mother react to the idea that Luzhin is drunk?
4. What is Luzhin doing when Ivan knocks over the lamp?
5. What catches Luzhin's attention to distract him from chess that he is accidentally reminded of?
6. What does Luzhin think is the point of the "game" being played against him?
7. What memory of his father does Luzhin recall when he stops to buy fruit?
8. Why does Mrs. Luzhin find it difficult to locate her husband at the ball?
9. How does Luzhin kill himself?
10. Why doesn't Luzhin's fiancee ask him about his tuxedo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) What divides the novel into sections or parts? What roles do these parts play over the course of the novel?
2) How does Luzhin develop over the course of the novel? How does he change?
3) Why does the novel begin in Luzhin's boyhood?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Luzhin's character.
1) How is Luzhin different from other people? What are the consequences to him in his life?
2) Why is Luzhin obsessed with chess? What does Luzhin see and enjoy that most people don't?
3) What kind of world would Luzhin be happy in? In what ways is Luzhin mismatched to society, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of women in the novel.
1) What is Luzhin's mother like? How does she represent women in the novel? How does she compare with Luzhin's aunt?
2) What is Luzhin's wife like? How does she represent women in the novel? What are her priorities and abilities?
3) How are minor women characters portrayed in the novel? What do women, in general, seem to be like in the novel?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)