|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Luzhin's mother-in-law speak to him after the wedding?
(a) She speaks formally and distantly, using the formal form of "you."
(b) She speaks hardly at all, ignoring him.
(c) She speaks constantly but condescendingly, never referring to her new son-in-law.
(d) She speaks in a friendly way, using the familiar form of "you."
2. What does Valentinov tell Mrs. Luzhin to whisper in her husband's ear?
(a) Valentinov's expecting you.
(b) It's not too late.
(c) Remember our little game?
(d) Valentinov's come for you again.
3. What author does Luzhin's fiancee tell her mother that Luzhin has never read?
(a) Thomas Carlyle.
(d) George Eliot.
4. What causes Mrs. Luzhin to be away from her husband a good deal?
(a) She is helping her sick mother.
(b) She is volunteering at her church.
(c) She is helping a friend shop.
(d) She is planning their proposed trip.
5. What does Mrs. Luzhin hope to interest her husband in?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Luzhin's intellectual guests gather at the tea table, what is the immediate response?
2. What happened to the student that Mrs. Luzhkin's visitor used to be in love with?
3. Of the portraits Luzhin makes, which turns out the best?
4. How does Luzhin feel about the phonograph?
5. What does Luzhin do when he gets into the cab with his new wife after the wedding reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luzhin falling unconscious affect his fiancee?
2. How does Luzhin kill himself?
3. What catches Luzhin's attention to distract him from chess that he is accidentally reminded of?
4. What is Mrs. Luzhin reminded of when she reads Soviet newspapers?
5. What does Luzhin think when the lights come on again after Ivan has knocked over the lamp?
6. What does Luzhin's future mother-in-law feel as the wedding approaches?
7. What does Valentinov want Luzhin to do for him?
8. How does Luzhin feel at his wedding reception?
9. What memory of his father does Luzhin recall when he stops to buy fruit?
10. What are Mrs. Luzhin's political opinions about the Soviet Union?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)