|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interrupts the chess game?
(a) The substitute teacher.
(b) The class bully.
(c) The janitor.
(d) A new student.
2. What is Luzhin doing when he notices two other students taking out a chess set?
(a) Drawing on his desk.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Carving a piece of wood.
(d) Sharpening pencils.
3. How does the woman Luzhin meets in Germany (his future wife) think of his father?
(a) She thinks he must have been selfish, ignorant, and jealous of Luzhin.
(b) She thinks he must have been naive, slow, and uncomprehending toward Luzhin.
(c) She thinks he must have been sad, angry, and bitter toward Luzhin.
(d) She thinks he must have been kind, earnest, and fond of Luzhin.
4. Why have Luzhin's parents put off telling him that they've enrolled him in a school?
(a) They don't think he'll understand the idea.
(b) They're afraid he'll throw a tantrum.
(c) They are worried the school will cancel at the last minute.
(d) They're afraid he'll run away.
5. Where does Luzhin tell his father he learned to play chess?
(a) From a friend's father.
(b) In the park.
(c) From his aunt.
(d) At school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Luzhin do the previous Christmas with the chocolates meant for his aunt?
2. When Luzhin suggests teaching his son chess, where in the country house do they find a chess set?
3. How does Luzhin's future wife perceive him when she first meets him?
4. Where is Luzhin's father when the idea for a novel about a boy like his son hits him?
5. Whose telephone call does Luzhin eavesdrop on during the party?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)