|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual gesture does Beth make toward Kerry?
2. How does Beth calm herself down before starting her picture taking?
3. How are the Cappadoras feeling about Reese now that Ben has returned?
4. Sam/Ben is somewhat phobic about
5. How does Beth try to steady herself when taking photographs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Candy feel about Ben's reappearance?
2. What was it that prompted Cecil to kidnap Ben?
3. Who is Cecil Lockhart, and why is her photo on George's mantel?
4. What small detail of Ben's disappearance does Reese finally discuss in words with Dr. Kilgore?
5. Why will Cecil Lockhart not have to pay a price for having kidnapped Ben?
6. What might have been the reason that Vincent did not share the unfortunate interaction with his coach with Dr. Kilgore?
7. How would you describe the ending of this story? Is it happy? Is the story a tragedy?
8. Why did Vincent not mention the kid he thought might be Ben?
9. Is George Karras a monster? How do we know?
10. What does Beth discover when Vincent leaves for school on this memorable morning when the family is about to re-claim Ben? How does it make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beth Cappadora probably could have used a course in child-raising. Write an essay entitled Raising Children 101, and define the basic behaviors and actions necessary to raise normal, healthy, strong and independent children who are good citizens and quality people. This is not easy, but try to narrow it down to the most basic needs of a healthy child.
Essay Topic 2
Their are many ironic moments in this story. Focus on one ironic event of your own choosing, and write about how the irony is crafted, why it is ironic, and how long it takes to understand the irony as one reads the story.
Essay Topic 3
What does it take to become a professional photographer? What kinds of schooling and talent are required to become well-known and paid for your photos, like Beth Cappadora? Do some research on the web and write an expository essay for the student who aspires to be a photographer.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)