|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who met a young woman named Ts'ui-hsien at a religious ceremony?
2. What kind of a dream does Jen's wife have?
3. Under Chinese law, what is Jen supposed to do with his wife?
4. Who is the magistrate who carefully plots a strategy to kill or capture the Wang gangsters?
5. Who is released upon Ts'ui's confession of guilt in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Wang in a desperate situation after her lover leaves her?
2. What does Li do to avenge the death of Wang's wife?
3. Why is Kao made to pay for Wang's burial?
4. What do many women do after their husbands die in China?
5. What does Huang realize about Wang's death from her body?
6. Describe Ts'ui Meng in The Feud.
7. How does the boy that Ts'ui Meng befriended rescue him?
8. How is Jen's punishment lessened and what does it say about the Chinese system?
9. What does Huang discover at Jen's house?
10. What is the conflict between a local farmer and another Wang family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Woman Wang. What was her role in the book? How does she relate to Jen? What was Spence trying to accomplish by describing the Woman Wang in the book?
Essay Topic 2
P'u Sung-ling shares stories of people with magical or supernatural powers.Do you think Hsiao-erh is heroic or exerts power in a positive or negative way? How does her story and triumph over natural disasters and poverty contrast with the real experience of citizens in T'ang-Cheng? Why do you think Spence included this story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for The Death of Woman Wang. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect the time period and culture of 17th century China?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)